Reacting to Openings

Here is where you can talk about tips and strategies for fighting.

Moderator: Global Moderator

Reacting to Openings

Postby Keipr Bǫllr » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:58 am

So I've been fighting for about 3 years now and I've hit sort of a plateau. It's gotten to the point where I have muscle memory of shots and can dictate the fight fairly well, so I don't totally suck. What I'm struggling with is when I see someone make a mistake, over-commit to a block, over-swing, whiff, etc, it takes too long for me to recognize and respond appropriately. Is there a way I can train my reaction time, or do I just have to keep fighting?

tl;dr I know when people mess up and I want t know how to punish them for it
Keipr Bǫllr
Dagorhirrim

Re: Reacting to Openings

Postby Varadin » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:58 am

Block strike is the drill most fighters use to work on this.

The idea of block strike is to give you the muscle memory and ability to read predictable responses to common shots.

Set up with a partner a sword lengths apart (use similar length weapons) You swing for a target area, they block, they swing for a target area, you block, repeat for one minute. Swap hands and do it with your left, do it for one minute.

The drill should last 4 minutes with 4 1 minute sections with people using different hands.

Person A Right, Person B right
Person A left, Person B right
Person A left, Person B left
Person A right, Person B left

I know the drill, I use it occasionally, I don't preach it as much as some so I don't have the best discription of it. It will help you though with reaction time.

Other tips for increaseing reaction time. Make some REALLY lightweight weapons, im talking 4-5 ounces and spar with them. The idea is that with faster weapons you have to react faster. Don't do this for all of practice, and don't only use them as they allow bad form for quickness (all arming of shots) its only to increase hand and read speed.
Arguing with a herald is like wrestling with a pig. First you get really dirty and muddy, and then, after a while, you begin to realize the pig is enjoying himself.

King Varadin McButterpants
Elite Blood Falcon
Varadin
Dagorhirrim

Re: Reacting to Openings

Postby Malave » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:07 am

[quote="Keipr Bǫllr"]
So I've been fighting for about 3 years now and I've hit sort of a plateau. It's gotten to the point where I have muscle memory of shots and can dictate the fight fairly well, so I don't totally suck. What I'm struggling with is when I see someone make a mistake, over-commit to a block, over-swing, whiff, etc, it takes too long for me to recognize and respond appropriately. Is there a way I can train my reaction time, or do I just have to keep fighting?

tl;dr I know when people mess up and I want t know how to punish them for it
[/quote]

It's good that you are at a point in your fighting career where you can recognize the trajectory of the incoming shots and begin to plan the following shots. From the way in which you described your plateau it seems as if you are depending largely on counter-striking. Can I first ask you what weapon form you are utilizing? But as a general reply before I attempt to to give my two cents I'd say that you need to work on creating the openings rather than waiting for them to arise. This should help you continue on your path.
Master Draeven Du'Rauhl - Lead Master of Death Dealer Coven
Malave
Dagorhirrim

Return to General Fighting Discussion