Archery Clarification

Here is where you can talk about tips and strategies for fighting.

Moderator: Global Moderator

Archery Clarification

Postby Bjornir » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:00 pm

I need clarification on a distance rule for archery as I have had trouble finding the specific rule. Correct me if I am getting any of this wrong as I want to make sure we are up to date on the rules.

According to what I understand from the rules an arrow must travel its full length before it is considered a "live" arrow. If they are closer than 20 ft you must shoot with half or less draw.

We have also been teaching that if they are closer than 8ft then an archer cannot fire, this is what I want to clarify. Is this a current rule, a legacy rule, a rule that was never added to the manual, or some type of "house" rule?

While I'm on the subject of archery. If someone is holding onto a sword with their right hand and points it outwards to the right of them then an archer standing straight infront of them shoots the middle of the sword would they lose an arm? There's been debate on how to interpret accidental vs intentional blocking. Now what if you have a line and a sword pointing upwards over the shoulder just happens to block an arrow, with no intent to block, would they lose an arm?

http://dagorhir.com/index.php/rules

4.5.1.1 - Yellow weapons must be used at half-drawn (arrows) or thrown with half force (javelins) at ranges closer than 20 feet.

4.5.1.2 - A yellow weapon must travel its own length through the air after it is released to count as a legal hit.

4.5.1.3 - Yellow weapons do no damage if they strike shields and Dagorhir-legal head/neck armor such as a helmet or coif.

4.5.1.4 - Players may not ever carry another fighter's missile weapons around without the owner's express permission. You may return fire with missiles that have been shot/thrown at you, but if you leave the immediate area where the missiles were fired/thrown, you may not take any missiles other than your own with you. Players must always return the owner's missiles to the owner upon request.

4.5.3.8 - To better simulate the speed and power of real arrows in flight, the only things which can stop arrows are shields or Dagorhir-legal head armor such as a helmet or coif. Arrows cannot be caught, blocked, deflected, or knocked out of the air by anything else, including hands, feet, weapons, or other equipment. If an arrow is blocked intentionally with anything other than a body part, shield, or head armor, the fighter doing the blocking is dead automatically.

4.5.3.12 - If a weapon accidentally blocks an arrow from hitting a target, the arrow is considered to have hit the target anyway.
Bjornir
Dagorhirrim

Re: Archery Clarification

Postby Silk » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:15 pm

The minimum distance an arrow has to travel to count to be considered a hit is it's own length. (You kind of have to eyeball this) There is no rule about not firing within 8 feet. I do not know where that came from, other than maybe transported from another game. (dunno which). You're totally cool within the Dagorhir ruleset to shoot within 8 feet, so long as the arrow travels its own length after being released from the bow (Rag has been measuring this at the point where the string sits at rest when the bow is not drawn.)

An arrow is considered to have passed through a weapon as if it were not there. So if your target has a sword hanging out to their right, shooting the middle of the blade does nothing...
UNLESS, someone else is standing in front of the sword at that point, then the arrow would have continued on and hit that person, and they should take whatever that should have been. These are hard to notice,and hard to enforce. If someone happens to see an arrow hit a weapon in front of them that someone else is holding, they are supposed to take that arrow hit. If they don't it's no big loss, archer can try to let that person know what happened, but it's a complicated scenario to explain in the heat of battle, so it's often better to leave it. If a herald sees it and thinks the player it would have hit simply ignored it, they should point it out and explain the rule. The person holding the weapon takes no damage...
UNLESS they were purposely attempting to block the arrow. In that case they are dead, and a herald may want give the player a talking to if it is a reoccurring behavior because it is unsafe.

If it is totally unclear where the arrow would have hit, but it *could* have hit arm or shoulder, then leave the call up to the fighter. This is a game of honor, isn't it?

I hope that's clarified your questions.
Silk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Bjornir » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:03 pm

You've helped a bunch thanks!

If anyone else wants to chime in feel free.
Bjornir
Dagorhirrim

Postby Sven Kolfinsson » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:47 am

Bjornir wrote:If anyone else wants to chime in feel free.

Nope, I'm good. Silk hit the nail right on the head.
Sven Kolfinsson
Dagorhirrim

Return to General Fighting Discussion