[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Dagorhir Web Boards • View topic - Natural Fabric (WOOL AND LINEN AND SILK ETC) Suppliers and Advice!

Natural Fabric (WOOL AND LINEN AND SILK ETC) Suppliers and Advice!

Talk about clothing patterns and other special Dagorhir equipment you have made

Moderator: Global Moderator

Re: Natural Fabric (WOOL AND LINEN AND SILK ETC) Suppliers and Advice!

Postby Oisín Leathshúileach » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:41 am

Hunh, didn't know that.  Weaving is, well, not something I'm interested in as a personal hobby, I thought yarn referred only to what you'd knit with.  In that case . . . I can't really tell you from personal experience.  What's the % content?  Flax fiber is longer and stronger than cotton fiber, and holds more moisture as a % of weight, and breathes better . . . so my guess is that with a mixed fiber yarn, you'd get some of the physical benefits of linen, but to a lesser degree.  Can't say whether it's worth the money or not, as you're paying almost as much for the cottolin as for the pure flax.  What width is she planning to weave at, and how many yards can she get from a spool of yarn?

Oh, and as it seems money is tight and I can't imagine her labour isn't tighter, it seems to me that using as close to accurate period patterns as possible would be a really, really good idea as they tend to be very fabric-efficient.  Take more time to sew than just cutting a curve?  Yup . . . but I can't imagine that weaving takes less time than sewing a complex gores and gussets arrangement.
Last edited by Oisín Leathshúileach on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oisín Leathshúileach ua Duibhne <br>Ard Laech

<br>An Fhírinne in aghaidh an tSaoil--Truth against the world.
<br>It's pronounced uh-SHEEN, like "machine" without the m. Not oy-sin.
Oisín Leathshúileach
Dagorhirrim

Postby Kensman Ilariia » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:53 am

Oisin, it's going to act like a cotton/linen blend of the same ratio.  In most blends, the blend occurs at the yarn/spinning level, not the weaving level.

Lykos, I'd say tell her to go for it and use it as an experiment, both for the weave she is trying, and the material.  And lets us know how it goes! :D
-HRM Kensman Ilariia Bulochnika, called Brenna

First Kensman of the Gullinhrafni
Dronning and Keeper of the Keys of the Empire of the Wolf
Kensman Ilariia
Dagorhirrim

Postby Lykos MacGregor » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:00 am

Oh, it takes MUCH more time to weave it than just cut a cloth and sew, sure.  But as she just told me, it is more fun to weave.  :-P

Ilariia, she is REALLY excited about weaving.  She has done an experimental weave already (Looks like a runner for the middle of the table) and she is about to weave me a cotton tabard with neckline and trim weaved right into it on the loom.  I can't wait.  I will post pictures when she is finished.  She thinks it is so cool that she can shape the garment right on the loom without having to cut out anything afterward.

lothlorien@dagorhir.com
Mirkwood Broke My Scenario
Lykos MacGregor
Dagorhirrim

Postby Kensman Ilariia » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:02 am

Awesome!!  I look forward to seeing it!
-HRM Kensman Ilariia Bulochnika, called Brenna

First Kensman of the Gullinhrafni
Dronning and Keeper of the Keys of the Empire of the Wolf
Kensman Ilariia
Dagorhirrim

Postby Ilsa Starling » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:46 pm

Use the code XMAS15 and get 15% off. That's cheaper than cotton duck, y'all.
The girl with the hoopak.

Ilsa Starling
Dagorhirrim

Postby Siguric » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:58 pm

So that stuff is lightweight. Good for tunics? Perhaps a hooded cloak?
Bastard of Ceremonies

We Hate So You Don't Have To
- Bloodpool@Dagorhir.com -
Siguric
Dagorhirrim

Postby Ilsa Starling » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:05 pm

Excellent for tunics, but I think it would be pretty useless, warmth-wise, for cloaks. I'd look for melton or coating for that. Suiting is generally thin, smooth, and drapey-- it's cool enough to wear (with a linen undershirt, so you don't immediately stank up your wool) at Ragnarok.

Ilsa Starling
Dagorhirrim

Postby Stugos » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:17 pm

People in Dag don't wear cloaks for warmth, we wear them because they look cool.  And thin cloaks that flow behind us and flap in the wind are much cooler than thick, warm cloaks that just hang there and serve an actual purpose.  For that, a wool suiting would do wonderfully and will also be easier to put holes and crap in for that used look.
All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man."
Stugos
Dagorhirrim

Postby Siguric » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:47 pm

Thanks, Ilsa. I'll probably put in an order for a few yards this week. I need a couple wool tunics. Already have two linen/rayon tunics to go under em.

Stugos, if I wanted the "flappin in the breeze" look, I'd use the lips of dead Talboffers. ;)
Bastard of Ceremonies

Siguric
Dagorhirrim

Postby Stugos » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:27 pm

Attend Sparta's Peloponnesian Wars event and you'll get that chance!
All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man."
Stugos
Dagorhirrim

Postby Stellaria » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:25 pm

[quote=&quot;Stugos&quot;]
People in Dag don't wear cloaks for warmth, we wear them because they look cool.  And thin cloaks that flow behind us and flap in the wind are much cooler than thick, warm cloaks that just hang there and serve an actual purpose.  For that, a wool suiting would do wonderfully and will also be easier to put holes and crap in for that used look.
[/quote]
Speak for yourself - the wool cloaks all of my people have are heavy wool that keeps them warm AND dry. And aren't worn on the field, in general.
Stell
Dagorhir is too big for special snowflakes. A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine. You aren't special. Follow the damn rules.
Stellaria
Dagorhirrim

Postby Siguric » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:26 pm

Dammit... I missed the sale. Didn't have the extra money til Friday, and by then it was all gone. :(
Bastard of Ceremonies

Siguric
Dagorhirrim

Postby Ilsa Starling » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:31 pm

You guuuuuys. Fabric Mart has select colors of linen on sale today for $4.50-$5.00 a yard. This is crazy, and you should check it out!

The discount will appear in your cart. Don't forget to use coupon code "NEW" if you haven't ordered from 'em before; it'll get you a 20% discount. Shipping from them is a flat $8, which isn't bad for what we ordered.

Ilsa Starling
Dagorhirrim

Postby Arrakis » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:44 am

That place is officially My Jam now.
Arrakis
Dagorhirrim

Postby Ilsa Starling » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:14 pm

Hey guys! Tropical wools at Fabric.com today for $6.99/yard. Google 'Fabric.com coupon' and you can always find a 15% off $40 or more coupon, which brings it down to $5.94/yard. These are awesome prices.

I've gotten swatches of some of these: the hunter green and dark red are nice, the brick herringbone is kind of a visual atrocity, and the crepes are, predictably, of a weird, crepe-ish texture. Not my first choice for garb-- my one Fabric.com crepe dress drapes really weirdly-- but it's what we made our pink geteld from, and it's lasted us well. The tropicals are solid, though.

As usual, color is kind of a crapshoot with this website, but if you aren't too picky, this can be a great deal.

Ilsa Starling
Dagorhirrim

Postby Rúnsær » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:31 pm

from the fabric.com website  ends 7/2/12 midnight eastern time
Save 15% off $50 to $99.99 -  Use Coupon Code Pop15
Save 20% off $100 to $149.99 -  Use Coupon Code Pop20
Save 25% off $150 & Up -  Use Coupon Code Pop25

from retailmenot.com
BRTH11A 15% off $40+ & Free Shipping
THX218    15% off order
[quote=&quot;Colonel-Commissar Dudley&quot;]
Let people who know what they're doing post links.
[/quote]
Rúnsær
Dagorhirrim

Postby Hanzo of Narnia » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:30 am

Alright guys, I am looking to make some new stuff for the end of september out of wool as all my garb right now is linen and after 4 years of Hanzo abuse is **** the bed on me.

specifically I want wool for a few sets of new chausses (one will be deticated to just fighting in harness so a thicker more substantial wool might help me there)

and a cotte I want to copy from the Pistoia altar piece.

What kind of wool would you guys reccommend? I am becoming easily flustered by the different kinds so something in plain english might help a lot here.
The Rush Limbaugh of dagorhir
Hanzo of Narnia
Dagorhirrim

Postby Arrakis » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:36 am

[quote=&quot;Hanzo of Narnia&quot;]
Alright guys, I am looking to make some new stuff for the end of september out of wool as all my garb right now is linen and after 4 years of Hanzo abuse is ****ting the bed on me.

specifically I want wool for a few sets of new chausses (one will be deticated to just fighting in harness so a thicker more substantial wool might help me there)

and a cotte I want to copy from the Pistoia altar piece.

What kind of wool would you guys reccommend? I am becoming easily flustered by the different kinds so something in plain english might help a lot here.
[/quote]

I think most of these would be fine for either application, depending on how thick you want each garment and how you want them to drape.

http://www.fabricmartfabrics.com/xcart/ ... -Wide.html
http://www.fabricmartfabrics.com/xcart/ ... -Wide.html
http://www.bblackandsons.com/fabrics-wo ... b6da971f5c
http://www.bblackandsons.com/fabrics-wo ... b6da971f5c

The Shetland is good, but a little loose and heck of thick when fulled heavily: http://www.fabricmartfabrics.com/xcart/ ... er_page=50

These are probably finer-woven than you're looking for, but with a lot of hellwashing you could get them to fur up some:
http://www.fabricmartfabrics.com/xcart/Wool-Gabardine/
Arrakis
Dagorhirrim

Postby Alric » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:12 am

For hosen, you need something sturdy, which means you want a worsted yarn (the fibers are combed instead of carded, giving a harder, tighter thread). Look for tropical, light, or medium weight worsted suiting. Avoid woolens, and especially woolen flannel (worsted flannel is ok), as it won't last very long before it tears on the knees. And of course, cut it on the bias.
Alric
Dagorhirrim

Postby Hanzo of Narnia » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:30 am

Thanks guys, I'm gonna make my own chausses because I already have the perfect pattern for myself but I'm just gonna order myself a cotte from The purple needles because well they do great stuff and I cant turned down the price of $100 for a wool, linen lined houppe custom and done in my hands by the last weekend of september (true story).
Hanzo of Narnia
Dagorhirrim

Postby Arrakis » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:43 am

Thanks guys, I'm gonna make my own chausses because I already have the perfect pattern for myself but I'm just gonna order myself a cotte from The purple needles because well they do great stuff and I cant turned down the price of $100 for a wool, linen lined houppe custom and done in my hands by the last weekend of september (true story).
[/quote]

Geez, tell them to up the price for non-Hanzo orders or they'll drive everone else outta business!

Alric: Worsted, not a strong, long-fiber woolen for hosen?  I thought in period they were done in nap-raised-and-sheared many times woolen.
Arrakis
Dagorhirrim

Postby Hanzo of Narnia » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:47 am

Seriously the women makes great stuff, ya can't beat the price. Plus her eye for real 14th century shape is fantastic.
Hanzo of Narnia
Dagorhirrim

Postby Alric » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:05 pm

[quote=&quot;Arrakis&quot;]Alric: Worsted, not a strong, long-fiber woolen for hosen?  I thought in period they were done in nap-raised-and-sheared many times woolen.
[/quote]

I'll have to look into the historical fiber preparation, I don't know how they were made. Just from my own experience, none of the woolens I've found stand up to the stress of taking a knee as well as a worsted suiting.

This brings two thoughts to mind (off the top of my head), the first being that modern woolens might not be made to the same standard as a fiber prepared specifically for hosen; the second, that medieval people probably didn't spend as much time running over grass on their knees as we do, so they might have had different goals they were aiming for when they made hosen fabric than a modern reenactor.
Alric
Dagorhirrim

Postby Hanzo of Narnia » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:13 pm

my fighting ones are starting to tear just below my knee, and the buckles from my leg harness wore holes through my linen ones in about 2 months, so figure 10 fights (8 practices and 2 events)
Hanzo of Narnia
Dagorhirrim

Postby Arrakis » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:22 pm

my fighting ones are starting to tear just below my knee, and the buckles from my leg harness wore holes through my linen ones in about 2 months, so figure 10 fights (8 practices and 2 events)
[/quote]

Yeah, you probably want a tight, strong worsted, then.
Arrakis
Dagorhirrim

Postby CustomClothing » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:31 am

Here are some types of ..

Herringbone :- It has a zigzag twill pattern on the fabric surface. The fabric is usually wool, and is one of the most popular cloths used for suits and outerwear.

:- Woolen Houndstooth is made with alternating bands of four dark and four light threads in both warp and weft woven in a simple 2:2 twill, two over - two under the warp, advancing one thread each pass. It can be used in constructing clothes like womens dress, Jackets, Skirts and home furnishing items.

Jacquards :- Jacquards is woven into a fabric having different patterns such as damasks, floral, curvy and geometrical designs. Both sides of jacquard wool fabric can be used in manufacturing clothes or decorative items. Jacquard weaves have a varying drape ability and durability depending on which fibers are used. These jacquards are generally made of 60%wool and 40%other fibres.

Melton/Serges :- It is a type of twill fabric that has diagonal lines or ridges on both sides, made with a two-up, two-down weave generally made in solids. Due to its thickness, it is used for trench coats, suits and military uniforms. Wool Melton is also used for Blazers, jackets, coats and blankets. Melton and serges is blend of 80%wool and 20%nylon content. This collection is designed in a variety of colors
Last edited by CustomClothing on Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
CustomClothing
Dagorhirrim

Postby Grímhildr » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:34 pm

I see a 50/50 linen/wool blend suiting fabric for sale at Fabric.com for an excellent price for wool, but a beatable price for linen.  I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with a fabric like this, and can tell me anything about it's properties?  Does it act more like wool, or linen?  Would I want to make a gown or surcoat with it, or would it be better suited for perhaps a light cape?  This is the fabric in question:

Grímhildr
Dagorhirrim

Previous

Return to Garb & Equipment