[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Dagorhir Web Boards • View topic - Garb in Cinema - The Good, the Bad, and the WTF?

Garb in Cinema - The Good, the Bad, and the WTF?

Talk about clothing patterns and other special Dagorhir equipment you have made

Moderator: Global Moderator

Garb in Cinema - The Good, the Bad, and the WTF?

Postby Whisper Moonson » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:49 pm

Let's list period costume movies and TV shows and rate them for their worthiness as garb and armor reference material. Be prepared to defend your opinions against savage attacks, because you know they'll come. Let's keep it strictly to medieval fantasy, too: from the fall of Rome to the War of the Roses, plus fantasy pieces that fit in that fashion, such as LoTR, Conan, Narnia, etc. For ease of tracking, please put show titles in bold.

First, some rating definitions. We'll go on a five-star system.

* - Really, truly horrible. The local elementary school could've done it better.
** - Bad. It would not be safe to get garb ideas from this movie.
*** - Decent. Not very medieval, but not glaringly non-medieval, and passably fantasy
**** - Good. Elitists will still find stuff to complain about, but it's a good general resource for garb/armor
***** - Fantastic. It's flawless. Everything is perfect, and even the pickiest historian gets wet dreams from it.

Of course, some movies are going to be a mixed bag. For those, you might want to split your review out a little bit. For example, this review of The Princess Bride:

The Princess Bride - Rating: range of ** to ****

For most of the movie, the good guys (Westley, Inigo, and Fezzik) are right at or just below the threshold of passable garb. Inigo would probably make it through the garb gates, but not the other two. The bad guys (Humperdink, Rugen, Vizzini, and Yellin) look excellent in a high medieval sort of way (Vizzini is more renaissance, really), as do most of the extras in the village scenes. Buttercup ranges from sort of OK to very good, and some of the best garb in the movie is in the farm boy sequence near the beginning.

Braveheart - Rating: *** (a weak *** at that)

This is one of the baseline movies. As a costume flick, it has a lot of problems: kilts worn some 3-4 centuries before their first appearance in the historical record; actual ninja brig in a movie, both leather and metal, some of it so cheap you can see the plates getting creased by walking. However, a lot of the English garb is passable, and the movie succeeds in selling the general medieval flavor to the audience. Garb or armor copied from this movie will probably pass at an event (although it's questionable whether the armor should), but it won't take the prize in any contests. You can do better.
Last edited by Whisper Moonson on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Whisper Moonson
Outsourcing Manager for the Guilder Brute Squad - "Magnum malum viri!"
Trollers Union Local #801, home of the cuddly drop bears - Grammar Thug Who Can't Be Bothered
Still wondering where the king took the palace.
Whisper Moonson
Global Moderator

Re: Garb in Cinema - The Good, the Bad, and the WTF?

Postby Milo Baines » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:23 pm

Gladiator: **** only because I can't vouch for five stars with my limited knowledge of Roman garb but I don't know of anyone who would complain and to my eyes it looks excellent.

Robinhood (the Crowe one...not the Costner one) *** because I see no one wearing hosen but again I see better garb there than most Dagorhirim have.
"Just glue some gears on it and call it Steampunk."

F.G., Legio Promethean
Backwater Brawler-New Braunfels, TX
Milo Baines
Dagorhirrim

Postby Stellaria » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:39 pm

Cadfael ****
As far as garb goes, I would give this TV series 5 stars, as they paid extreme attention to accurate detail. The only reason it gets 4 stars is because of some of the armor pieces, some flabby-looking woven leather pieces in particular.
This is the series I would send someone to if they're looking for headwear ideas, or for home/camp furnishing ideas. Also, it shows an excellent progression of wear on the costumes, as the monks and other principle characters wore the same pieces throughout the series, and they did get naturally worn.
Stell
Dagorhir is too big for special snowflakes. A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine. You aren't special. Follow the damn rules.
Stellaria
Dagorhirrim

Postby Lione » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:13 am

Rome(TV Series) ****
I really should not need to defend this one.

Ironclad ****
Other than a few weird looking vests here and there all of the garb just looks amazing in this movie.

300 ** to ****
The Spartans "armor" is pretty terrible, but the Spartan Politicians and the Persian randoms have pretty decent stuff.

The Thirteenth Warrior ** to ****
Some of the 13 have really nice stuff, then other ones are wearing Samurai armor, Conquistador armor and a Murmillo helm.
Lione
Dagorhirrim

Postby Stellaria » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:50 am

[quote="Lione"]

Ironclad ****
Other than a few weird looking vests here and there all of the garb just looks amazing in this movie.
[/quote]
And that ridiculous armor/dress monstrosity what's-her-name got put in. I kid you not, that single bit of costuming killed the movie for me, because the rest of it was SO good, and that was so glaringly stupid.
Stell
Dagorhir is too big for special snowflakes. A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine. You aren't special. Follow the damn rules.
Stellaria
Dagorhirrim

Postby Sgt Kiff Skitterzz » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:15 am

Game of Thrones. ****

This thrives on looks - and the garb looks GOOD. Not a bit of it is functional, so a small minus there but everything has a theme and fits each character VERY well.
Ragnarok XXV Laze Champion.
Militia Division II; First Sergeant, Infantry, Pikeman.
----------------------------------------
VAZI President/Death-squad Sergeant: Columbus, OH
Sgt Kiff Skitterzz
Dagorhirrim

Postby Sgt Kiff Skitterzz » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:16 am

[quote="Sgt Kiff Skitterzz"]
Game of Thrones. ****

This thrives on looks - and the garb looks GOOD. Not a bit of it is functional - but most Dagorhir garb/armor isn't either... so a small minus there but everything has a theme and fits each character VERY well.
[/quote]
Ragnarok XXV Laze Champion.
Militia Division II; First Sergeant, Infantry, Pikeman.
----------------------------------------
VAZI President/Death-squad Sergeant: Columbus, OH
Sgt Kiff Skitterzz
Dagorhirrim

Postby Devaryn » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:55 am

Fun thread idea! 

I disagree with only reserving 5 stars for situations where historical realists wouldn't be able to complain, though, because if we're going for "What is a shining example of what is appropriate for Dag" then those two things won't necessarily line up.  So I'm rating based on how GOOD the garb looks, regardless of some arbitrary need to be historically accurate, so I'm going just by the aesthetic look of the garb, how well it fits the Dagorhir feel, and how detailed the garb may be.  For example, my first pick...

Lord of the Rings - Rating: *****

Pretty much the staple of our game when it comes to intent and the spirit of the rules.  Even a hobbit with their more modern-looking outfit wouldn't be out of place as long as they properly pulled off the whole look, because then they'd obviously be portraying a hobbit, and this game is so deeply-rooted from its inception in Lord of the Rings that I think anyone would have to be crazy to tell a Frodo-clone that they look bad.  Everything else, from the elves and orcs to the Ithilien rangers to the soldiers of Rohan and Gondor, are all amazing examples of medieval fantasy.  If everyone in the game looked like characters from these movies, we'd be living in a golden age.

Kingdom of Heaven - Rating: *****

This seems like a perfect example of historical accuracy for the times of the Crusades.  I simply can't see anything wrong with any of the garb in this movie.  If you want to look like a Templar, Hospitaler, any other knightly order of Jerusalem, or a member of Saladin's army, this seems like the movie to reference.

Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves (Kevin Costner) - Rating: ****

This doesn't strike me as a "perfect" example, and I'm sure that some historical realists would point out some flaws, but overall I think that this movie portrays some quality ranger/rogue garb (Robin, Little John, Will Scarlet) as well as Morgan Freeman's Saracen character, Azeem.  The peasant garb is a good reference point as well, and I like the dark villainous garb of Nottingham and his cousin, Guy of Gisbourne.  While I have no idea if any of this garb is historically accurate, I think every outfit in the movie would look good in Dagorhir.

Game of Thrones (TV show) - Rating: ****

Probably going to catch flak for this one, but this HBO series represents how you can be completely wrong with historical accuracy, yet still fulfill the look of fantasy as would be appropriate for Dagorhir.  The main complaint seems to be about the garb of Petyr Baelish (Littlefinger), but even his outfits are acceptable as fantasy, because they are uniquely-designed combinations of long vests/robes/coats.  And when you watch the show, if you make sure to look at it through the viewpoint of "acceptable fantasy" and not worry about historical accuracy, then everything looks good.  I think this show is a great demonstration of how you can utilize creativity to totally go off the grid of historical accuracy, but still LOOK like medieval fantasy in every way.  And a large portion of the garb in this show just looks GOOD.  It is all very well-detailed and beautiful, and you truly feel immersed in the world when watching the show.

Braveheart - Rating: ****

Gotta disagree with Whisper on this one.  I don't think the end goal of Dagorhir kits has to be perfectly historically accurate, so I don't necessarily like the "you can do better" comment there.  I mean, if someone walked onto the field looking EXACTLY like William Wallace did in that movie, he'd be one of the better looking people out there and should be commended for having a nice, well-detailed kit.  This is a situation where it is a historical movie, but the garb can still look good because we're also a fantasy game.  We're not supposed to be focused so much on historical accuracy that we can't still say something looks good if it fulfills the FEEL and overall look of medieval fantasy.  Again, we're glorifying history, just like Hollywood does, as Dominus once said long ago.
Sir Devaryn "Dev" the Bearjew
Elite Blood Falcon, Knight of Taurendor
Ragnarok XXVII Bardic Competition Winner (Song)
Ragnarok Treasurer XXVI, XXVII, XXVIII, XXIX, XXX
Devaryn
Dagorhirrim

Postby Stellaria » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:03 am

Arn the Knight Templar *****
This movie was flawless to my eye. Everything looked in-place, normally used, and pretty much perfect.
Stell
Stellaria
Dagorhirrim

Postby Devaryn » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:04 am

Arn was amazing!!!  Loved that movie.
Devaryn
Dagorhirrim

Postby Varadin » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:48 am

In the name of the king 2: ***
overall there was a good look to this movie, but the fact of walmart tights under gambeson ruined it. The armor was non existant or just bad. But everyone looked to be dark ages, lots of gambesons worn as overcoats though which was a bit wierd. Also I highly suggest this movie for an MST3K style party.
Arguing with a herald is like wrestling with a pig. First you get really dirty and muddy, and then, after a while, you begin to realize the pig is enjoying himself.

King Varadin McButterpants
Elite Blood Falcon
Varadin
Dagorhirrim

Postby Atalan » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:34 am

The Eagle: ***

The Romans were believably Roman to the untrained eye, but the fantastical tribes north of the wall had a consistent material culture (within the tribe) are would be good reference for anyone wanting to play barbaric humans, or even a good jumping off point for orcs. Some minuses for silly use of seams and insistence on very loosely woven fabric on everyone. Also minus for non-important characters wearing leather armor, no matter their rank or ability to buy armor that might actually protect themselves.
Treasurer, Fury of the Called.
When it comes to (screwing) around, we don't (screw) around.
Hastae petiunt veritatem, veritas est colei.
The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it. - Michaelangelo
Atalan
Dagorhirrim

Postby Arrakis » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:43 pm

[quote="Sgt Kiff Skitterzz"]
Game of Thrones. ***

This show looks "good" and some outfits are acceptable, but it's so incredibly hodge podge and costume-designer-y that it really can't get higher than *** by Whisper's definitions.
[/quote]

FTFY.  You can thank me later  ;)
Arrakis
Dagorhirrim

Postby Grim. » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:54 pm

[quote="Stellaria"]
Arn the Knight Templar *****
This movie was flawless to my eye. Everything looked in-place, normally used, and pretty much perfect.
[/quote]yes all of this
[quote="Bryn, Corrupted Soul"]
Golly geee Grim that made my day....... you're such a righteous dude.
[/quote]
Grim.
Dagorhirrim

Postby Whisper Moonson » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:11 pm

Arn truly is flawless, and Lord of the Rings is probably the pinnacle of fantasy costuming.

I haven't seen any part of Game of Thrones, but from what I hear it's one of those all-over-the-place shows, with some outfits ranking two stars, and some ranking four or five.

Ladyhawke ** (**** if you only look at the heroic trio)

This is one of my favorite movies, but after a recent viewing of it, I have to admit that most of the costuming and armor really sucks. Costume-wise, this movie is sort of the mirror image of The Princess Bride in that the main characters are decently dressed, but the bad guys (except for the bishop) look like they were outfitted in a discount Halloween shop. The armor... WTF was up with those helmets? They looked like street hockey with brass!
Sgt. Whisper Moonson
Trollers Union Local #801, home of the cuddly drop bears - Grammar Thug Who Can't Be Bothered
Whisper Moonson
Global Moderator

Postby Fayne Erving » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:03 am

I was going to do Kingdom of Heaven, because that has got to be one of my favorite Medieval movies of all time, but Dev beat me to it! I agree with his review though, so I won't echo.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned

Chronicles Of Narnia (****)

Most of the characters throughout all three movies were dressed the part, at least the Narnians were. They tended to go back and forth between renaissance and 13-14th century, but I'm no historian. I tend not to like the look of renaissance costumes on the Dag field but that's only personal opinion. I'm sure a really well done Prince Caspian wouldn't bat more than a handful of garb snobs' eyes at Garb Gates.
Last edited by Fayne Erving on Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The measure of a man can be seen in the quality of his words.
             ==
The local dagorhir group for Columbia, Missouri.
Fayne Erving
Dagorhirrim

Postby Vidarr » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:26 am

Conan the Barbarian:  **** to *****
Definitely fantasy, but absolutely captures that Frank Frazetta feel, plus the the wide variety of armor pieces throughout the movie give the feeling that they exist in a place that has its own history and regional stylings (eastern and western styles being represented)

13th Warrior:  *** or less (its still passable as garb, but...)
I like the movie, but I hate the conquistador helms and the steel shoulder armor and all that ridiculousness.  Why is it so hard to make a viking movie?

Beowulf:  *** or less
Obnoxious, boring, annoying.  I have a theory that Beowulf is actually a musical starring Anthony Hopkin's CG belly...but that's another story.  Again, why is it so hard to make a decent Beowulf movie?

The Wild Hunt: ****
Being a movie about exactly what we're all doing, and revolving around an event called Ragnarok, they do a good job with the garb (or decorum as they refer to it, haha).  A lot of different time periods are represented, and as I recall, nothing made me feel outraged.
Vidarr
Dagorhirrim

Postby Stellaria » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:50 am

[quote="Vidarr"]
I like the movie, but I hate the conquistador helms and the steel shoulder armor and all that ridiculousness.  Why is it so hard to make a viking movie?
[/quote]
There is a story behind that. For some reason, there was a serious mishap, and they were forced to outfit their warriors with armor pieces from other movies that were still on the studio's property. They did NOT intend to have Vikings in samurai and conquistador helmets in the original plan.
Stell
Stellaria
Dagorhirrim

Postby Sir Rap, the Space Wizard Daddy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:25 am

Hercules/Xena- ***

Isn't the best stuff out there, and I have a hunch the costume design dept for these shows didn't give any damns about historical accuracy, but works for Dag. Ladies especially, look at these shows for fun, sexy tops that aren't hard to make, but are firmly fantasy enough to get you on the field.
Garbstapo 4 Lyfe

Borgairí agus Ceapairí
Sir Rap, the Space Wizard Daddy
Dagorhirrim

Postby Lione » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:30 am

[quote="Vidarr"]
The Wild Hunt: ****
Being a movie about exactly what we're all doing, and revolving around an event called Ragnarok, they do a good job with the garb (or decorum as they refer to it, haha).  A lot of different time periods are represented, and as I recall, nothing made me feel outraged.
[/quote]

I was outraged over the "studded" leather. That was a LEATHER VEST, WITH EYELETS IN IT! Other than that and the jersey-esque things during trollball the movie was overall pretty good. Plus...elves are gay.
Lione
Dagorhirrim

Postby Magnus » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:07 pm

Dev, I'm not sure Kingdom of Heaven deserves more than ***/****. The issue with the garb in that movie is that very little of it is accurate to the period it proposes to represent. The Saracens dress like Persians and Indians from the 16th century, and Balian's regular clothing is a pair of slacks and a white tunic that's noticeably too short for the 12th century. Also, the Templars are wearing gear that they did not actually wear--when the film takes place, they wore long-sleeved surcoats over their armor, not sleeveless ones, and they never had the big plan-tipped Latin crosses they're shown wearing. Moreover, their shields should have had a black chief and no cross, at least according to all of the descriptions and images from that period.

That being said, Balian and the other Ibelin's crusader armor and so on is perfect and anyone who dresses like that on the field is a Dagorhero.

Lord of the Rings *****

None of the fantasy garb in this film looks modern, not even the Hobbit garb--though it's obviously based on 18th-19th century Western European clothing, it's different enough that I think it is an acceptable basis for inspiration in our game. At least it would be if I were in charge.

Game of Thrones ***

At most ***, honestly. I think the writing on the TV show is better than in the books (Hemingway would have written twice as much in a third the pages) but the clothing and ESPECIALLY the armor are really not that good. What really does it in for me is that much of the armor doesn't look like real armor. I am not saying that it doesn't look like historical armor, but that it doesn't look like armor that anyone would every wear to protect him/herself, at least assuming that human anatomy and the laws of physics are mostly the same in Westeros as they are on Earth. Look at Robb's armor, for example:

[img width=800 height=452]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3uaeFuUt2HQ/T2-0GB59R4I/AAAAAAAACZw/Kex569RNi1Q/s1600/Richard%2BMadden%2Bas%2BRobb%2BStark%2Bon%2BGame%2Bof%2BThrones%2BS01E09.png[/img]

His shoulders are protected by pauldrons made from one huge piece of dished/raised metal. He looks like a Space Marine, seriously--how is he going to raise his arms above his head? Or cross his arms in front of his chest? (not that he should be, since the high cross is not a good move to do anyway ;D ) His armor manages to both leave huge gaps AND be extremely cumbersome. Moreover, his pauldrons are pointed to a gorget which, aside from having kind of ugly blind rivets around the edge, is just sitting there on his neck. His armor's going to flop around and get in his way, no question.

Here's some better armor, for comparison, from the same show:

[img width=601 height=301]http://scifimafia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/game-of-thrones-nikolaj-coster-waldau-jaime-lannister-WIDE.jpg[/img]

Notice how his shoulders are protected by much smaller pieces, which fit more tightly to him (being pointed to his doublet) and aren't going to flop around? Jaime's armor does leave huge gaps, but I guess that's okay if he's supposed to be a Renaissance-era knight in a ceremonial suit of armor, as he is here. Also, his breastplate is shaped very nicely: it has a central ridge, which gives it a lot of strength, it curves out over the chest, to give it more strength and also prevent any spears or war hammers from crushing his ribs, and it also leaves plenty of space for his arms to move.

Worse armor, though, is seen here:

[img width=524 height=602]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m60qg8GEVz1r1pxrwo1_1280.jpg[/img]

Mormont has the same awful pauldrons that Robb does, but he's wearing a plate cuirasse that fits tightly to his body. Given how dinged up his armor evidently gets, Ser Jorah really shouldn't be wearing something that's going to let his lungs get crushed. Real plate cuirasses have a generous billow to them to prevent them from getting so dinged up, and to prevent the wearer, as I noted above, from getting smashed so easily.

But again, Tyrion is the best character because he has the best armor:

[img width=640 height=427]http://media.washtimes.com/media/community/viewpoint/entry/2012/06/02/Tyrion-Armor-HBO_s640x427.jpg%3F73b8e21685896c3f2859310aaa5adb253919b641[/img]

The proportions are off from historical armor, of course, but that's because of the character's dwarfism. The armor itself is well designed to protect its wearer and allow freedom of movement besides. The guy on the right, meh, not so much--all those 1/2" gaps between the plates in his brigandine are going to be a real drag when someone thrusts a spear at him a few times.

Also

[img width=369 height=555]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb58378/gameofthrones/images/9/9e/Loras_ValarMorghulis_Armor.jpg[/img]

Loras is a pimp. But his breastplate, like Mormont's above, fits too close to his body and doesn't give his armor the strength, or the proper bulk, to look like real armor. Plus, his pauldrons, while nicely shaped, are really gappy--real armor is much more closely fitted:

[img width=500 height=500]http://renfairshoppe.com/german_pauldrons.jpg[/img]

(Also the maille Loras has under his plate is a little baggy, but that's not a big deal.)

Finally, one problem wardrobe/character that has come up before is Littlefinger. For one thing, look at his hairstyle:

[img width=800 height=534]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-m4SBYwwojG0/TgnrNI_pBKI/AAAAAAAAAsM/jEqC4sD52Vc/s1600/Ned-Petyr-game-of-thrones-20730896-800-534.jpg[/img]

He basically has the same haircut as Tommy Carcetti, Mayor of Baltimore on The Wire:

[img width=720 height=540]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3x0mfJJvh1r41a92o3_1280.jpg[/img]

(As well as resembling him in most other respects, obviously...)

But his outfit also makes him look like he belongs on DS9 rather than a medieval fantasy world, too.
Last edited by Magnus on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knight of Taurendor
+Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium Digitos Meos Ad Bellum+
ἆσσον ἴθ᾽ ὥς κεν θᾶσσον ὀλέθρου πείραθ᾽ ἵκηαι.
Magnus
Dagorhirrim

Postby Jari Kafghan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:07 pm

The chunk at the end more then the entire comic

Not Head Herald
Jari Kafghan
Global Moderator

Postby Angus Daergh MacKay » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:23 pm

[quote="Devaryn"]

Braveheart - Rating: ****

Gotta disagree with Whisper on this one.  I don't think the end goal of Dagorhir kits has to be perfectly historically accurate, so I don't necessarily like the "you can do better" comment there.  I mean, if someone walked onto the field looking EXACTLY like William Wallace did in that movie, he'd be one of the better looking people out there and should be commended for having a nice, well-detailed kit.  This is a situation where it is a historical movie, but the garb can still look good because we're also a fantasy game.  We're not supposed to be focused so much on historical accuracy that we can't still say something looks good if it fulfills the FEEL and overall look of medieval fantasy.  Again, we're glorifying history, just like Hollywood does, as Dominus once said long ago.
[/quote]

Let me say as a Great Kilt, face paint wearing (and yes it's blue) Highlander...thank you sir, while I in no way resemble the quite loquacious (in a not-so-good way) Mr. Gibson (I am bald and probably a good 50-60 lbs heavier), I enjoy coming out in my Great Kilt, is it fantasy, yes, is it fun, OH YES, do the ladies like it.....OH HELLS YES! LOL
Think about this...The Scottish Highlanders were a very poor people, no armor to speak of, only the most basic of weapons, and still the English, whom had one of the most powerful armies of the time, considered them to be a huge threat!  Hmmmmm
Angus Daergh MacKay
Dagorhirrim

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:11 am

[quote="Stellaria"]
[quote="Vidarr"]
[/quote]
There is a story behind that. For some reason, there was a serious mishap, and they were forced to outfit their warriors with armor pieces from other movies that were still on the studio's property. They did NOT intend to have Vikings in samurai and conquistador helmets in the original plan.
[/quote]

I just took it immediately as an homage to the fact that they raided all over the place and collected other people's crap...  I had no problem with it and love that movie.  But, I also can turn my brain off and just watch a movie without running to the internet to rate it and tell people where i saw a boom mic fall into the picture.  13th warrior still nailed the FEELING of vikings better than any other movie I've seen.  And the scene when they wake up after the party looked exactly like mornings in Forgotten Ones camp...  Minus snot water.  Sometimes...

Thrush
berserk

Ragnarok XXIV Head of Security
Ragnarok XIX, XX, XXIII, XXV Security Head Assistant
Ragnarok Security Public Relations Special Forces
Thrush Svartehjertet
Dagorhirrim

Postby Arlin The Dwarf » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:54 pm

Well lets have a throw back to 1981 shall we... I'll let you guys judge.
Exacailbur 1981
my rating:***
[img width=339 height=475]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_yLkTeCrGyEQ/TDVwxU2Kr3I/AAAAAAAAAJ8/1C_zMYvfgiA/s1600/Excalibur-6305558167-L.jpg[/img]
[img width=555 height=372]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RzWwjsKG4pQ/TPLv0hrHskI/AAAAAAAAAVg/FDOXpnY58So/s1600/20070418klplylliu_53.Ies.SCO-1.jpg[/img]
[img width=500 height=491]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3i1ybYANH1qk8joso1_500.jpg[/img]
[img width=320 height=240]http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsS/16548-5871.gif[/img]
[img width=800 height=537]http://image.toutlecine.com/photos/e/x/c/excalibur-1981-06-g.jpg[/img]
"Stabbed through the heart and your to blame..."

honestly i have not watched this movie in a couple months. Where at most of the garb looked decent to me(mind you I wasnt really paying attention) THE ARMOR WAS COMPLETELY TERRIBLE. I am trying to find some pics of the helms throughout the movie. dear god the armor looked so bulky and big especially the pauldrons.
Last edited by Arlin The Dwarf on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The pines were roaring on the height.
The winds were moaning in the night.
The fire was red, it flaming spread.
The trees like torches blazed with light.
Arlin The Dwarf
Dagorhirrim

Postby Stellaria » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:58 pm

Oh man, speaking of all-around horrible costuming in a movie...

Immortals (the one with Theseus) **** Dagorhir-wise, it's actually pretty sweet for costumes. Except for the gods. The gods and their ridiculous hats! For a Greek myth movie, I thought they could do WAY better given today's resources. They spent a lot of effort making crap that made the movie look pretty idiotic. Who am I kidding, it *was* pretty idiotic. But garb wise, it'll get you on the field with room to spare, and women of a sexy fantasy bent could take some notes.
Stell
Stellaria
Dagorhirrim

Postby Hanzo of Narnia » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:52 am

A movie that is almost never mentioned but I love to this day

The Messenger, the Story of Joan of Arc (**) *****
While not completely historically accurate, the movie does a damn good job for your typically Hollywood portrayal of the middle ages. It's the only medieval movie I have seen where guys are wearing fitted pants (not necessarily chausses but some extras are actually wearing them), Gambesons! and pretty good representations of the late medieval silhouette overall. Now and again weird fantasy clothing sneaks in (mianly one guy wearing studded vest thing) but generally everything is truly medieval or at the least much closer than everything I have seen before. Also it's a prime example that women can still look like women and not dress like dorm room sluts, hell they can even look like bad asses and not have their tits falling out of their armour!

[img width=800 height=450]http://cf2.imgobject.com/t/p/original/ApPlvKqXfbXPA9gCPXLtIc6dfw7.jpg[/img]
[img width=600 height=406]http://www.grouchoreviews.com/content/films/3297/13.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=533]http://1.fwcdn.pl/ph/08/42/842/268272.1.jpg[/img]

I also love that the movie is not a **** rallying cry as they actually portray Joan as a crazy religious zealot, cool movie.

(  ) - The armour however is atrocious on most occassions with them getting some stuff right and a lot of stuff totally wrong. However yet again they manage to get Joan into armour that doesnt look like its bondage wear and more ya know...armour to save your life.
Last edited by Hanzo of Narnia on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Rush Limbaugh of dagorhir
Hanzo of Narnia
Dagorhirrim

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:59 am

If only Milla knew I was stalking her...

Thrush
berserk

Thrush Svartehjertet
Dagorhirrim

Postby Hanzo of Narnia » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:05 am

Hanzo of Narnia
Dagorhirrim

Postby Devaryn » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:56 am

Devaryn
Dagorhirrim

Postby Hanzo of Narnia » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:00 am

Hanzo of Narnia
Dagorhirrim

Postby Magnus » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:46 am

"Miss Joan, you're trying to seduce me!"
Knight of Taurendor
+Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium Digitos Meos Ad Bellum+
ἆσσον ἴθ᾽ ὥς κεν θᾶσσον ὀλέθρου πείραθ᾽ ἵκηαι.
Magnus
Dagorhirrim

Postby Olos » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:55 am

[quote="Stellaria"]
Oh man, speaking of all-around horrible costuming in a movie...

Immortals (the one with Theseus) **** Dagorhir-wise, it's actually pretty sweet for costumes. Except for the gods. The gods and their ridiculous hats! For a Greek myth movie, I thought they could do WAY better given today's resources. They spent a lot of effort making crap that made the movie look pretty idiotic. Who am I kidding, it *was* pretty idiotic. But garb wise, it'll get you on the field with room to spare, and women of a sexy fantasy bent could take some notes.
[/quote]

I watched that on netflix a month or so ago.  I stopped caring when the "ALMIGHTY LEGENDARY BOW OF THE GODS" was quite obviously a 20-30 lb takedown recurve that someone had put black paint and glitter on.  I mean, the string wiggled for like 5 seconds when plucked.  Even max weight dag bows don't do that, much less some almighty bow of legend.

It just really ticked me off that a movie that had millions of dollars in its budget couldn't spare more than $100 to make a prop that was central to the entire storyline.
[quote="Arrakis"]
[quote="Olos"]
Oh internet, how I love thee.[/quote]
The only place ever that a Black Company man can be the most rational, reasonable person in the room.[/quote]
Olos
Dagorhirrim

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:39 pm

[quote="Hanzo of Narnia"]
If only you'd move over on the tree branch ya fat bastard...then maybe at least one of us would be successful...
[/quote]

*swats at Hanzo*  Shut up and pass me the binoculars...

Thrush
berserk

Thrush Svartehjertet
Dagorhirrim

Postby Sirser Tarburz, Double-Knight of House Tull » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:21 pm

[quote="Vidarr"]
Beowulf:  *** or less
Obnoxious, boring, annoying.  I have a theory that Beowulf is actually a musical starring Anthony Hopkin's CG belly...but that's another story.  Again, why is it so hard to make a decent Beowulf movie?
[/quote]

what are you talking about? Beowulf and Grendel was a fantastic movie. i know you were tlaking about the CG film but THIS one is awesome!
my only nitpick is Gerard's leather scale spaulders and breastplate :P
[img width=728 height=409]http://images2.static-bluray.com/reviews/140_1.jpg[/img]
"people who wear failing garb show a lack of concern for the MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT OF THE GAME. living a fantasy and suspending belief in the mundane world. they can RUIN THE GAME for others. People who dress like this will not be allowed to participate in Dagorhir." -DagMoA
#MetalGauntlets2014
Sirser Tarburz, Double-Knight of House Tull
Dagorhirrim

Postby Tooka the "Phoxly" Goblin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:59 pm

A Knight's Tale: ****

I'm surprised no one mentioned this... and have a feeling I'm going to be flamed for mentioning it...

The costuming wasn't too bad. I'd give it a ***** but I can't really speak on the historical accuracy of any of it, and female's garb, and the ballroom outfit that William was wearing looked off (despite being made out of a tent, and by two peasants who have no experience with sewing).

I also can't really speak on how functional or realistic/historical the metal armor is. I assume that it had to be functional/sturdy because of the blows and real jousting scenes they created.

Note: The armor seen in the below pics worn by Heath is not his armor, and was meant to look like it didn't fit him, or had zero functionality because it was not made for him. I can't find a picture of his end-movie armor.

[img width=728 height=409]http://images3.static-bluray.com/reviews/2221_4.jpg[/img]

[img width=627 height=250]http://2dreviews.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/a-knights-tale-title.png[/img]

[img width=400 height=300]http://hannahreadfilms.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/knights.jpg[/img]

I really don't like Wat's (the red head) shirt, it looks VERY modern, like a teeshirt/longsleeve combos of the 90's.
[img width=800 height=450]http://media.cinemasquid.com/m00571_med_01.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=1023]http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/The-Cast-a-knight-27s-tale-146285_1173_1500.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Tooka the "Phoxly" Goblin on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Swordbrother Haldor"]
Er. Mer. Gerd. ERTS BLERKHERK!!!
[/quote]
Tooka the "Phoxly" Goblin
Dagorhirrim

Postby Kurai, the Blade » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:26 am

Perhaps we leave this thread for the more historically correct movies and create another based solely on movies with a greater fantasy influence? Just a thought.
Gainzdalf the Swole of the Swoloship
[quote="Rap Spaceington"]Stay out of this Kurai, we like you for completely arbitrary reasons.[/quote]
Kurai, the Blade
Dagorhirrim

Postby Siguric » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:31 am

[quote="Kurai the Blade"]
Perhaps we leave this thread for the more historically correct movies and create another based solely on movies with a greater fantasy influence? Just a thought.
[/quote]

[quote="Whisper Moonson"]Let's keep it strictly to medieval fantasy, too: from the fall of Rome to the War of the Roses, plus fantasy pieces that fit in that fashion, such as LoTR, Conan, Narnia, etc.
[/quote]
Bastard of Ceremonies

We Hate So You Don't Have To
- Bloodpool@Dagorhir.com -
Siguric
Dagorhirrim

Postby Devaryn » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:41 am

Whisper had no problem talking about medieval FANTASY movies earlier in the thread, including the original post, so I see no reason to split it up now.  As long as people don't insist on being asshats and turding up the thread, we should be fine.

So anyway...

How could I forget one of my childhood favorites...WILLOW!!

Willow - ***

One of the original classics in medieval fantasy, but the garb and armor for the most part is rather hokey, and I'm pretty sure that an armor expert would say it is horribly unrealistic.  But it's still a good source of inspiration for the fantasy feel.

[img width=431 height=266]http://thetorchonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/willow.jpg[/img]
[img width=246 height=308]http://www.starstills.com/product_images/s/ss3319303_-_photograph_of_val_kilmer_as_madmartigan_from_willow_available_in_4_sizes_framed_or_unframed_buy_now_at_starstills__31998.jpg[/img]
Devaryn
Dagorhirrim

Postby Whisper Moonson » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:51 am

I dunno. I would've given Willow four stars. The costuming's really nice, and while I'm no armor expert (I only know trash when it's a really glaring example), the armor looked decent, too. Granted, some of the weapons were kind of goofy, like those spiky-backed scimitars, but that was part of the flavor.

BTW, a few weeks ago, I got to see the actual animatronic rig for the two-headed dragon. It was a box about 1' x 1' x 3' full of machinery attached to fine metal cables leading up through the top of the box and into the bottoms of the two dragon heads that were each about the size of my middle finger! Meanwhile, hanging on the wall behind me, were life-sized pieces of a warrior bug from Starship Troopers. Mind = blown.

It's good to have friends who work in FX houses. :)
Sgt. Whisper Moonson
Whisper Moonson
Global Moderator

Postby Milo Baines » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:36 am

King Arthur w/ Clive Owen: ***

I liked the garb on most of the characters but some, especially Lancelot, made me think of UA under leather armor & chain with black pants and unobtrusive tennis shoes...
[img width=540 height=540]http://thedarkblade.com/wp-content/uploads/sir-lancelots-swords.jpg[/img]
(please excuse the kid in the background with the back holsters)

He wouldn't look out of place for a Dag field...maybe that should earn the movie four stars.

Also, if you're going to war paint it up the Woads would be a great example I think.

F.G., Legio Promethean
Milo Baines
Dagorhirrim

Postby Magpie » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:26 am

Some of the garb seemed silly to me (okay, just this one outfit), but I did quite like it otherwise. There seemed to be quite the mix of styles between the different main characters, and while I can't speak to historical accuracy, that mix did make it feel more like dagorhir.

[img width=250 height=351]http://www.contactmusic.com/images/reviews2/kingarthur.jpg[/img]

So this is BASICALLY just a sports bra, right? Sure, a fancy leathery one, but still...
Magpie of Denuvald! I have a
Magpie
Dagorhirrim

Postby Wren Rousseau-Baines » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:31 am

no see a sports bra supports, that there is pure nipple coverage, plain and simple. I have belts that cover more skin than that....i have belts that i actually wear on my waist that cover more skin than that.
It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.
Wren Rousseau-Baines
Dagorhirrim

Postby Silk » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:33 am

~Dame Silk~
Beloved by GOD
Silk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Devaryn » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:17 pm

That outfit is awful.  It was that movie which made me stop liking Keira Knightley as an actress, honestly.  I'll stick with her twin, Natalie Portman.  8)
Devaryn
Dagorhirrim

Postby Lady Krystal » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:19 pm

-chuckle- I have a half-built version of that top made out of leather bits I was trying to make for myself.

Then I remembered, Keira Knightly has a negative cup size xD

I've looked at some huge HQ photos from the movie to try and get the top right, and then got to the bottoms and they're just pants with a brown hippy-goblin-ish skirt over the top of it. Patchwork light leather, a few bits of chain in it, etc. Either way, it's not super viable to fight in, that's for sure.

As for the rest of 'em, I kinda side with Milo. For the majority, the main characters were just fine. Nothing too fancy, or too over-the-top fantasy, but not glaringly out of place either.
“Let the warriors clamor after gods of blood and thunder; love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. ”

Countess of Mirkwood - Missouri
Dagorhir's NHL Playoff winner 2011 - D<[[[| x11
Lady Krystal
Dagorhirrim

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:19 pm

I'll take them both...  and Milla.

Thrush
berserk

Thrush Svartehjertet
Dagorhirrim

Postby Milo Baines » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:26 pm

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: ****

I thought the costumes (and set dec/locations) were just about perfect to my uninformed eyes.
[img width=350 height=350]http://www.brns.com/picts11/crtg7.jpg[/img]

F.G., Legio Promethean
Milo Baines
Dagorhirrim

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:04 pm

[quote=&quot;Milo Baines&quot;]
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: ****

I thought the costumes (and set dec/locations) were just about perfect to my uninformed eyes.
[img width=350 height=350]http://www.brns.com/picts11/crtg7.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Why don't we just leave it at that it was a perfect film.  Un-freaking real, that one...

Thrush
berserk

Thrush Svartehjertet
Dagorhirrim

Postby Raven Ghost » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:10 pm

[quote=&quot;Lady Krystal&quot;]

Then I remembered, Keira Knightly has a negative cup size
[/quote]

Poor girl  :(
Raven Ghost
Dagorhirrim

Next

Return to Garb & Equipment