[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Dagorhir Web Boards • View topic - Help a fat softy look intimidating! Design garb/armor.

Help a fat softy look intimidating! Design garb/armor.

Talk about clothing patterns and other special Dagorhir equipment you have made

Moderator: Global Moderator

Re: Help a fat softy look intimidating! Design garb/armor.

Postby Cassius » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:52 pm

[img width=325 height=500]http://www.roman-empire.net/graphics/reenact/gladiators/secutor.jpg[/img]
You know you want to.
Cassius
Dagorhirrim

Postby Urdok » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:59 pm

Normally I would encourage someone to go for a tunic, but with your look, you want something different. Maybe a torn up peasant style shirt ala the incredible hulk, with more leather straps on top of it? You have a visually distinct look, and it would be a shame to throw a tunic on top of it and make it rather generic.
Sir Urdok, Knight of the Mark, Baron and Warlord of Sarmatia
Lord Protector of Barenheim
Urdok
Dagorhirrim

Postby Traegis » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:09 pm

[quote="Cassius"]
[img width=325 height=500]http://www.roman-empire.net/graphics/reenact/gladiators/secutor.jpg[/img]
You know you want to.
[/quote] All I can see is cyborg Patrick Star with a poker face.
I'll get around to getting out and doing Dag when I do....
Traegis
Dagorhirrim

Postby Goblin Tull » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:15 am

[quote="Traegis"]
[quote="Cassius"]
You know you want to.
[/quote]All you would see is your imminent death as he ran you down.  Gladiators aint no bitches.
There is no stand up reason for metal knees and elbows to be disallowed.
Swolwise of the Swoloship
Queen of Starfishes
Lover of Farts
Goblin Tull
Dagorhirrim

Postby Traegis » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:18 pm

[quote="Stheno the Silly Starfish"]
[quote="Traegis"]
[quote="Cassius"]
You know you want to.
[/quote]All you would see is your imminent death as he ran you down.  Gladiators aint no bitches.
[/quote]Aye. And neither are the Varangians.
Traegis
Dagorhirrim

Postby Sirser Tarburz, Double-Knight of House Tull » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:10 pm

if only deadly metal elbows weren't illegal :/
"people who wear failing garb show a lack of concern for the MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT OF THE GAME. living a fantasy and suspending belief in the mundane world. they can RUIN THE GAME for others. People who dress like this will not be allowed to participate in Dagorhir." -DagMoA
#MetalGauntlets2014
Sirser Tarburz, Double-Knight of House Tull
Dagorhirrim

Postby Traegis » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:32 pm

[quote="Tarburz"]
if only deadly metal elbows weren't illegal :/
[/quote]So much dis...
Traegis
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:30 am

Necroing my thread so as not to make a new thread on same topic.  Finally back on my feet after a few bad injuries last year and working on Dag again.  I have a sheep skin that I acquired but it is a bit too narrow to reach across my shoulders.  Any ideas and patterns on how to make a nice looking one shoulder/half back cloak?
Attachments
IMG_20150306_221121117.jpg
IMG_20150306_221240965.jpg
Those who do not compete are not training, they are simply exercising.
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Ember » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:11 pm

Do you have any craft skills? You may be able to work something out with leather straps -- used leather belts could work if you have no leatherworking skills, but you'd still need to sew or rivet the belts to your sheep hide. 

Alternatively, you could use the sheep to make one of the Game of Thrones cloaks - there's a tutorial on these forums. The sheep would be the mantle/collar of a fabric cloak.

I'm not sure either solution would be practical for fighting, unfortunately, but it's a nice piece for feasting or hanging out on a cold day.
Ember
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:15 pm

Any pictures of what you were thinking with the leather straps?  I have a different piece of fur I could use for the GoT style cloak, though it would not be nearly as thick..
Attachments
11002705_10206475779352105_4964593562995031725_o.jpg
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Scheiny of Asgard, the Space Oracle » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:06 pm

that looks like it was originally a coat collar.  it might still work best as a collar.
if i ever choose an actual persona name i might use Celaeno, the harpy from The Last Unicorn and actual Greek mythology.  it's mine, you can't have it!

Lady Scheiny of Mirkwood, Sultana of the Hafla
Proud supporter of the JDC and DFA!
Scheiny of Asgard, the Space Oracle
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:17 am

Would the collar fur work on something like the attached?  I am converting my black wool priest robe into something like this for the cold days. 

Still looking for some more ideas on what I can do with the full sheep skin other than a cloak.
Attachments
images (13).jpg
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Ember » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:00 pm

It looks like it would be fine... but you can try safety-pinning the collar to the existing garment and see what you think!

For the full sheep, working out a way to mount it as-is or cutting it up for a smaller project will both require some basic leather and/or sewing design and construction skills. I haven't done a project like this yet, and I don't have any pictures of other people's garb that I can think of to help you.
Ember
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:23 pm

Well this is what I have so far.  Send me some more ideas, what works, what doesn't, etc.

Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Anvildude » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:23 pm

Now that's a Murder Mask!
Anvildude
Dagorhirrim

Postby Cassin » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:25 pm

Complete with asymmetrical eye holes.
Before you pick a name, say it out loud, have a friend say it out loud, have an acquaintance try to pronounce it from print, and have a sibling try to make fun of it.
Cassin
Dagorhirrim

Postby Lt. Colonel Nessie-Pop » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:03 pm

You look great, dude.
...the Lemurs are some of the coolest guys to hang around with at events...-Alric
Lt. Colonel Nessie-Pop
Dagorhirrim

Postby Traegis » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:47 pm

Revisiting this thread. And I must say. Hooooooly shiiiii......
Traegis
Dagorhirrim

Postby Warwick Percival » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:30 am

Really cool!! points for creativity. Been following your journey for a bit now and its coming out really well
Warwick Percival
Dagorhirrim

Postby Turki-pop » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:52 pm

You kit looks super good! I would like to make a possible suggestion make-up wise though. If you'd like to go a little extra and make yourself look angry even when you're not then take a little bit of gray eyeshadow and furrow your brows. Put a little bit of eyeshadow in the little creases right above your eyebrows, the ones that look like little > signs. I did this when I dressed as Wolverine and it makes a huge difference! It also allows you to relax your face and still look mad.
Turki-pop
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:46 pm

[quote="Turki-pop"]
You kit looks super good! I would like to make a possible suggestion make-up wise though. If you'd like to go a little extra and make yourself look angry even when you're not then take a little bit of gray eyeshadow and furrow your brows. Put a little bit of eyeshadow in the little creases right above your eyebrows, the ones that look like little > signs. I did this when I dressed as Wolverine and it makes a huge difference! It also allows you to relax your face and still look mad.
[/quote]

I look mad all the time ;). Good suggestions on the makeup, although I wear my mask so it isn't visible 90% of the time.  If I ever go somewhere overnight I will do this.
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:49 pm

[quote="Warwick"]
Really cool!! points for creativity. Been following your journey for a bit now and its coming out really well
[/quote]

Working on a few projects off and on, but was really sad to learn my two deer skeletons I got can't go on my fighting gear.  I didn't get to do much this year due to injuries and preparing for my strongman competition, but next year I hope to do more things.  Still need to make my shoulder armor.  I made the huge shield but haven't worked up to doing the door plastidip.
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:13 am

Alright guys, I still need some help upgrading this.  I still haven't figured out what to do with the sheepskin (was too narrow for my shoulders and doesn't work on the back).  For reference I am 55" around at the shoulders so some things just look silly if they aren't bug enough.  I thought about just cutting it for the fur skirt option, but I would really like to come up with something on the upper body.  Pictures or tutorials would be great.

I think layers would add significantly to the kit, and obviously I chose not to go shirtless (too cold at the few events I went to).  Need some ideas on what to do to cover my shins still - I bought boots but I am really not happy with them and would prefer something more barbarian.

I really need a better top as well.  Bracers are being worked on, but I opted not to make the shoulder armor.
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Arjac Ironside » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:50 am

What about having one shoulder covered with a pelt and the other with armor of some kind?  Barbarians seem to dig the isometric look and it solves your scale issue with the skin you have.
And what of tomorrow?  What of tales yet to be told and the cycle of stars? 
These were truly the End Times.

But they were the also the Beginning.
Arjac Ironside
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:54 am

[quote="Arjac Ironside"]
What about having one shoulder covered with a pelt and the other with armor of some kind?  Barbarians seem to dig the isometric look and it solves your scale issue with the skin you have.
[/quote]

I think that would be great but I can't figure out how to do it.  And suggestions on how to cut and attach it?
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Arrakis » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:13 pm

If you're trying to do an asymmetric shoulders, easy mode is to point (tie) your shoulder armor on to a base garment (gambeson, pourpoint, aketon, breastplate) and then tie the pelt or fur on to the other shoulder in a similar way.
Arrakis
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:02 pm

I have no shoulder armor and haven't found any that I like, so I am making the fur now as soon as I figure out how to cut it and wear it.  I only get to cut it once so I want to make sure I do it right, and I haven't seen a good picture that looks like it would work.  All the one shoulder fur pictures I find are either fur under or around shoulder armor, or someone wrapping a full pelt including the face (mostly wolves and fixed). 

If you have any pictures of how to do just one arm please share.
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Previous

Return to Garb & Equipment