[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Dagorhir Web Boards • View topic - Help a fat softy look intimidating! Design garb/armor.

Help a fat softy look intimidating! Design garb/armor.

Talk about clothing patterns and other special Dagorhir equipment you have made

Moderator: Global Moderator

Re: Help a fat softy look intimidating! Design garb/armor.

Postby Blk » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:35 pm

Patterns/designs for the fur that look decent?  I played around with a furry blanket to try and get a good design, but it looked terrible.
Those who do not compete are not training, they are simply exercising.
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Ingvar the Ruthless » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:54 pm

I will take pictures in a bit of my fur shoulder wrap and upload it.
Ingvar the Ruthless
Dagorhirrim

Postby Ragefire » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:07 pm

I think some kind of warkirt would look pretty rad and help bridge from Gladiator to Fantasy barbarian.
Something along these lines:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 4342_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 6831_n.jpg
Light Shine Upon Us As We Descend Into Darkness
Ragefire
Dagorhirrim

Postby Anvildude » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:25 pm

I thought you mentioned something about a Walrus for a second there.

There's an idea.  Get an animal totem.  Walrus or Elephant Seal, Bear or Elephant or Whale.  Alligator?

Or you could go Greek- I don't think anyone's seen a Cyclops yet...
Anvildude
Dagorhirrim

Postby Ilyas ibn Yahya » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:33 pm

and nobody will.
Ilyas ibn Yahya
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Thu May 02, 2013 8:56 pm

[quote="Ingvar the Ruthless"]
I will take pictures in a bit of my fur shoulder wrap and upload it.
[/quote]

The suspense is killing me sir!
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Spiderling » Sat May 04, 2013 4:46 pm

You will definitely rock with the barbarian look.

A lot of nicer-looking orc kits incorporate the same basic ideas in terms of garb and armor as fantasy barbarian kits.  Leather garb, more exposed skin, etc etc.  I see a lot of those kits with one armored-up shoulder; the asymmetric look helps sell it.  Fur attached to armor pieces as an under-layer (so that it's poking out all round the edge of the armor) works really well.  Fur pieces worn flesh-side-out as garb (so that, again, the fur pokes out around the edges) also works.  The gut plate is a great idea; from what I've seen, it is most commonly associated with older barbarian characters (the guys who'd more likely to be getting a paunch), so stacking on more little trophies, bits of jewelry or pillaged finery, and other indicators of an experienced, well-traveled adventurer would be something to look for since you're looking at helms/masks.

Beyond that, standard garbing advice applies: don't just settle at "barbarian" or whatever, think about where your character comes from.  What's the climate like?  If you go with an animal association (a good suggestion), what sort of animals are going to be around where you live?  The details have a huge effect on the final result, and can help it look more realistic (and therefore more intimidating).
Spiderling, Unsafety Committee Chairmonster, Trollers Local 9473, Chapter of the War Squirrels. [On Strike]

The opinions expressed in this post do not necessarily represent those of anyone with any common sense whatsoever.
Spiderling
Dagorhirrim

Postby Ingvar the Ruthless » Mon May 06, 2013 11:37 pm

Sorry, blk. Have been working way too much lately. I swear to you that I will get it done soon.
Ingvar the Ruthless
Dagorhirrim

Postby Ingvar the Ruthless » Tue May 07, 2013 12:38 am

Ok, here we go. Not saying it's the best fur wrap/half cape you've ever seen, but it will get the job done.

First you will need a yard of fake fur from some fabric store or another. I bought mine at Joanne's because they are the only fabric store anywhere near me. Black or white or leopard print fake fur always look really fake, so try to get a neutral tone or with some kind of slight pattern to the fur.

After choosing it out and getting it home, I cut out two pieces off the end to make into "winningas"... in other words, the fake fur ankle wraps us Barbarians are always wearing in the movies.
[img width=233 height=240]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb197/kitt_Seams/DSC04289.jpg[/img]

From the piece that was left, I cut basically an L shape to wrap one side around and overlap the other. In the pictures you can clearly see the cunning method I devised for holding the half cape together.

[img width=320 height=240]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb197/kitt_Seams/DSC04287.jpg[/img]
[safety pins]

If you value your life, you could sew it instead. I can't tell you how many times I bled myself with those pins getting that thing on/off.
[img width=274 height=500]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb197/kitt_Seams/361c4b9a-c9a2-4220-aba5-25db913a3902.jpg[/img]
[img width=268 height=500]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb197/kitt_Seams/246c1eae-584e-4a43-beff-439a13b8aa73.jpg[/img]

And here is how it looks basically finished. I intend to sew mine at some point, but never find the time to get around to it with busy times at work.
If you decide to make one, post pics and share with the rest of us.
Ingvar the Ruthless
Dagorhirrim

Postby Nova3 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:09 am

I really really dig the belts and I think a fantasy norse barbarian would be amazing. I also display for your viewing inspiration, TUMBARK THE BARBARIAN

[img width=800 height=600]https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/306662_480815048629193_826973959_n.jpg[/img]

upper torso covering, which you'll want at some point in Michigan ;)
[img width=800 height=599]https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/72207_513448898699141_1977877769_n.jpg[/img]

tumbark makes some sweet armor
[img width=522 height=750]https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/247951_433330736704896_1754355650_n.jpg[/img]

If you end up finding chain that's affordable the wide kidney belt works well with that! Tunics/fur will as well. I just really like those giant belts, can you tell??

There are quite a few different resources in state that you could tap for leatherworking. I'm learning how to do it from friends in Eryndor, Manic does commissions and I'm sure there are others who work for hire as well. Feel free to look me up on FB (I think you can just search for Novariel) and I'd be happy to get you in touch with people!
Still Blackhawk's Squire - Get your own liquor
Nova3
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:25 pm

I decided to try leatherworking with scraps just to get by as I got sick of seeing my sport glasses get in the way.  Here is my mask:

[img width=281 height=500]http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc433/BLK623/attachment-1_zps930c74eb.jpg[/img]
Feel free to tell me how awful it is.

I also purchased a nice kidney belt made with the same "put together" quality and am working on getting some fur and shoulder armor.  I am also debating using a shield instead of a red as without the grappling I will need charging for fun.  Ideas of shield design? 
Last edited by Blk on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Magpie » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:04 pm

It really depends what you're going for. Well-made traditional helmet? Nope. Pieced together golem-like super-creepy thing? YEP.
Magpie of Denuvald! I have a
Magpie
Dagorhirrim

Postby "Mudd" » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:23 pm

[img width=440 height=290]http://www.wildsoundmovies.com/images/hannibal_lecter_hello_clarice.jpg[/img]
[quote="Dust & Bones"] [quote="Grimbil Fire-Starter"] Alright, noob question time...May I ask why? Not trying to start an argument, just honestly curious. [/quote]the answer lies somewhere between "Larp Physics" and "Dagorhir hates other games"
"Mudd"
Dagorhirrim

Postby Traegis » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:17 pm

[quote="Blk"]
I decided to try leatherworking with scraps just to get by as I got sick of seeing my sport classes get in the way.  Here is my mask:

[img width=281 height=500]http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc433/BLK623/attachment-1_zps930c74eb.jpg[/img]

I also purchased a nice kidney belt made with the same "put together" quality and am working on getting some fur and shoulder armor.  I am also debating using a shield instead of a red as without the grappling I will need charging for fun.  Ideas of shield design?
[/quote] Make a large tower shield that looks like a door you ripped off its hinges.
I'll get around to getting out and doing Dag when I do....
Traegis
Dagorhirrim

Postby DP » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:14 pm

[quote="Traegis"]
Make a large tower shield that looks like a door you ripped off its hinges.
[/quote]

This.
[quote="Eöl"][quote="Grimbil Fire-Starter"]
Yeah, I'm also Native American and about thiiiiiis close to being the towns drunk.[/quote]You are my new role model.[/quote]
DP
Dagorhirrim

Postby Anvildude » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:37 pm

Or one that looks like a broken apart barrel or barrel top.

Actually, the idea of the door could be taken for a lot of different shield shapes- you could have round hobbit-doors or hatches, square tower shields, heater or teardrop shields 'made' by having the boards broken in the right way...

I think the best way to do it would be to have a basic shield outline, then add plastidipped detailing of the splintered boards as a sort of relief effect- though I suppose pastidip could allow you to have 'spikey' foam bits...
Anvildude
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:29 pm

I like the idea of the door.  I need to buy some foam for it, but do you guys think I should go max size tower or smaller?  I made a max tower shield with a plywood core but I used too thin of a core and it started to crack.

I am working on some sketches but I am having a really hard time with shoulder armor.  Any ideas on that? 
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Lt. Colonel Nessie-Pop » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:30 pm

Do not go max tower. It cuts off a ton of shots, and will make you bad at Dag. 24" to 30" round shield will let you throw ALL the shots, and is plenty of protection. If you MUST go with a large shield, I recommend the heater or teardrop. If you're going to be charging a lot and don't mind the weight (you're a powerlifter, right?) make it a 1/2 plywood cored strap.
...the Lemurs are some of the coolest guys to hang around with at events...-Alric
Lt. Colonel Nessie-Pop
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:43 pm

[quote="Lt. Colonel Nessie-Pop"]
Do not go max tower. It cuts off a ton of shots, and will make you bad at Dag. 24" to 30" round shield will let you throw ALL the shots, and is plenty of protection. If you MUST go with a large shield, I recommend the heater or teardrop. If you're going to be charging a lot and don't mind the weight (you're a powerlifter, right?) make it a 1/2 plywood cored strap.
[/quote]

I have small shields and I am not a fan - leg shots are my bane and I don't do knees well (left knee has a lot of issues so I normally have to take death).  And Dag is not something I have huge aspirations of being good at.  I do it to have fun.  And it takes a back burner to everything else (missing opener as it is too close to my first competition of the year).  I don't see how a heater or teardrop could look like a door?

And I used 1/2 on both my small shields and my tower.  Works great on the small, obviously sucked for the tower.  I did like the weight though and maybe I will try 3/4 plywood sometime.  I just want to work on looking better right now.  Fighting better would require a practice that is close to me and spending a lot more time than I currently do.  I haven't even swung a weapon since November.
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Urdok » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:03 am

[quote="Blk"]
I decided to try leatherworking with scraps just to get by as I got sick of seeing my sport glasses get in the way.  Here is my mask:

[/quote]

Like a Dag Leatherface. I love it.

As another bigger dude who lifts, I say go for the 1/2 inch core tower shield and stick with it, your muscles will get used to it. It's not amazing in terms of dueling, but it is FUN AS HELL to use it as a dozer blade and it makes you a very useful member of any team. Consider turning it into a center grip shield (that's what mine is, centergrip, 2'*4', 1/2 birch core) and things get ridiculously fun.
Sir Urdok, Knight of the Mark, Baron and Warlord of Sarmatia
Lord Protector of Barenheim
Urdok
Dagorhirrim

Postby Traegis » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:36 pm

Go punch.
Traegis
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:36 pm

Here is what I have so far:

[img width=577 height=1024]http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc433/BLK623/IMG_20140201_182057_314_zps06ba39b7.jpg[/img]

Apparently I need a new belt hole in my kidney belt but otherwise good.  Still swapping shield for tower.  Still need some input on shoulder gear/rest of the garb.
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Traegis » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:44 pm

I would shorten the pants a tad to avoid tripping. It's not fun.
Traegis
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:51 pm

Those are the pants I normally fight in but I am swapping to a fur skirt once I finish it.  Looks like I might be getting a deer skin and sheep skin shortly.
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Traegis » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:58 pm

[quote="Blk"]
Those are the pants I normally fight in but I am swapping to a fur skirt once I finish it.  Looks like I might be getting a deer skin and sheep skin shortly.
[/quote]Sounds like things are really coming together! :)
But when I said large tower shield, I didn't mean max size.
A medium to large should work. And though strap is more solid, punch is lighter and much more maneuverable.
Traegis
Dagorhirrim

Postby Arrakis » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:03 pm

[quote="Blk"]
[/quote]

Another option is hitching those pants up a little ways and then binding your calves with strips of fabric to provide a slim silhouette from the knees down with a baggier look from the knees up.

Also, yeah, I'd probably do between 24x34 and 26x40 for the shield, if I were doing it. And I might build a ~34" flanged mace to go with it.

Of course, you'd also look right mean with a seven foot glaive instead.
Arrakis
Dagorhirrim

Postby Traegis » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Like Rus pants?
Traegis
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:27 pm

[quote="Arrakis"]
[quote="Blk"]
[/quote]

Another option is hitching those pants up a little ways and then binding your calves with strips of fabric to provide a slim silhouette from the knees down with a baggier look from the knees up.

Also, yeah, I'd probably do between 24x34 and 26x40 for the shield, if I were doing it. And I might build a ~34" flanged mace to go with it.

Of course, you'd also look right mean with a seven foot glaive instead.
[/quote]

I might do that with the pants, have to see how it looks.  40" long would probably be about the perfect length so I am going to try that.  Doing one shield with both a punch and strap grip.  I actually have an 8' glaive, 6' club, and 5.5' red - too many battles lately have had narrow corridors where I am unable to swing due to my refusal to throw overhead shots. 
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Anvildude » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:45 pm

Throw underarm shots?  Swing upwards!  You might be able to knock their block away and slug 'em in the gut.
Anvildude
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:31 pm

[quote="Anvildude"]
Throw underarm shots?  Swing upwards!  You might be able to knock their block away and slug 'em in the gut.
[/quote]

Oh I do, but I get tired of people not taking shots when my red pushes their weapon/shield into their bodies and my weapon makes contact and them saying they blocked it.  I get too tempted to start swinging as hard as I can and it would just be more satisfying and less dangerous for me to just shield bash them.
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:33 pm

Here is another sketch with a few more ideas.  Still can't find a design I really like for greaves or how to do the fur skirt.  Suggestions welcome.

[img width=577 height=1024]http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc433/BLK623/IMG_20140204_122733_411_zpsc066ba58.jpg[/img]

Tell me what works and doesn't, what is missing, and whatever else you feel like saying.
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Anvildude » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:59 pm

Not sure if possible, but if you could do the greaves the same as you do the bracers, that should work alright.

Will you be using actual metal for the shackles?  Would let them be armour then- and you could have a single link of the chain... wait.  Couldn't.  Well, could.  The chain link would have to follow the rules for protrusions on armour, though, I think, but if you used an overlarge iron ring as a single link on them, it could be neat to have that extra jangle when you move
Anvildude
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:06 pm

[quote="Anvildude"]
Not sure if possible, but if you could do the greaves the same as you do the bracers, that should work alright.

Will you be using actual metal for the shackles?  Would let them be armour then- and you could have a single link of the chain... wait.  Couldn't.  Well, could.  The chain link would have to follow the rules for protrusions on armour, though, I think, but if you used an overlarge iron ring as a single link on them, it could be neat to have that extra jangle when you move
[/quote]

Yes they would be metal, but I was not going to make then armor grade to avoid dealing with the armor rules.  I will have leather armor underneath made out of the same material as the rest of my armor.  Would there be a rule issue with decorative chain?

Idea is all geared up ready to fight but still in shackles before match, breaking free and fighting my way out.
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby DP » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:08 pm

[quote="Blk"]
Here is another sketch with a few more ideas.  Still can't find a design I really like for greaves or how to do the fur skirt.  Suggestions welcome.

[img width=577 height=1024]http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc433/BLK623/IMG_20140204_122733_411_zpsc066ba58.jpg[/img]

Tell me what works and doesn't, what is missing, and whatever else you feel like saying.
[/quote]

Dude thats a drawing and already I'm intimidated. Seriesly you should offer portraits at Rag, Anyways onto the topic at hand, For the fur skirt, you could cheat a little since your belt is so wide, have the waistline be elastic and hide it under the belt buy a bunch of assorted fuax furs, or if ya got the cash/hunting abilities real furs. cut them into large squares and 'haphazardly' sew them together, kind'a like yer mask.

Speaking of, in my honest opinion, you should add a dome to it and make it a full on helm, if ventilation is the issue leave the back of it open, and then add a totally boss crest to the top of it, like a stolen roman soldiers crest, ya know?
[quote="Eöl"][quote="Grimbil Fire-Starter"]
Yeah, I'm also Native American and about thiiiiiis close to being the towns drunk.[/quote]You are my new role model.[/quote]
DP
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:13 pm

I couldn't figure out how to do the top to be honest and figured I could just paint my head (shaved dome) along with parts of my body. 
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Anvildude » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:35 pm

Are you talking about making the shackles too thick?  Because anything thinner than armour grade would look like cheesy props rather than something needed to restrain a person.  And it's not like steel's that expensive, or that you couldn't use iron pipe of the right size to not have to mess with curving the metal right.  (though your best bet would still be to use some 1/4" thick steel or iron bent around to shape.)  Might be difficult to bend cold for other folks, but a powerlifter should have the ability.  :)
Anvildude
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:55 pm

Yes, thicker or else I would be running around with tinfoil.
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Urdok » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:40 pm

Looks good. You might want to consider a variant with the pants and the leg wraps as well as the fur skirts just because you live in michigan and you'll be fighting outside in this. Just from a practical standpoint, you might want to go with a full manica and armor your entire weapon arm.
Sir Urdok, Knight of the Mark, Baron and Warlord of Sarmatia
Lord Protector of Barenheim
Urdok
Dagorhirrim

Postby Traegis » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:28 pm

Manicas are for manly men.
I think you fit the role.
Traegis
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:25 pm

Work begins:

[img width=577 height=1024]http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc433/BLK623/IMG_20140205_200611_314_zps629d2452.jpg[/img]
[img width=577 height=1024]http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc433/BLK623/IMG_20140205_200150_841_zps53b971f8.jpg[/img]
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Arrakis » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:56 pm

Slant your arm straps. You want a lower-left to upper-right across-the-back-of-the-shield slant. It helps.

Also make double extra sure your shield-side shoulder will be totally covered (meaning foam rises about 2" above level with your shoulder) when you hold the shield with your shoulder not shrugged up. If you don't, that shoulder will be free lunch for your opponents and the shield will frustrate you so much you'll stop using it. It looks like the forearm strap may be a little high right now.
Arrakis
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:05 pm

[quote="Arrakis"]
Slant your arm straps. You want a lower-left to upper-right across-the-back-of-the-shield slant. It helps.

Also make double extra sure your shield-side shoulder will be totally covered (meaning foam rises about 2" above level with your shoulder) when you hold the shield with your shoulder not shrugged up. If you don't, that shoulder will be free lunch for your opponents and the shield will frustrate you so much you'll stop using it. It looks like the forearm strap may be a little high right now.
[/quote]

You mean strap low and grip high?  So when my arm is at rest it is crooked?  Guess I need this one explained to me as I am lost.  I have seen people do it but never understood why.
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Silk » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:18 pm

~Dame Silk~
Beloved by GOD
Silk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:59 am

I don't know if it is me or I am doing something wrong but holding it with elbow down hand up felt very weird and uncomfortable.  I didn't notice any difference in weight from one to the other, so I think I will stick to arm straight as it feels more natural.  Need it to warm up so I can rap though...
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Varadin » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:17 am

[quote="Blk"]
I don't know if it is me or I am doing something wrong but holding it with elbow down hand up felt very weird and uncomfortable.  I didn't notice any difference in weight from one to the other, so I think I will stick to arm straight as it feels more natural.  Need it to warm up so I can rap though...
[/quote]

You also are stronger then most people is a solid guess. The weight wont effect you as much.

It really is preference, most people end up holding their hand slightly higher then their elbow, but ive seen shields all ways and whichever is most comfortable is always whats best for you.
Arguing with a herald is like wrestling with a pig. First you get really dirty and muddy, and then, after a while, you begin to realize the pig is enjoying himself.

King Varadin McButterpants
Elite Blood Falcon
Varadin
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blackhawk » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:20 am

You'll regret not angling your arm a bit. I know it feels right now but that angle helps a lot. Trust me, my fist battle as a shieldman was in 1982 and I fought for decades without the angle, night and day when you get good.
President - Dagorhir (DBGA/BOD) Current
Vice President - (DBGA/BOD) retired
Secretary - (DBGA/BOD) retired
Ragnarok's Head weapons checker (retired)
Blackhawk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:59 pm

I guess I will play around with it more before I put all the foam on.  The issue with comfort for me is the parallel grip puts the weight of the shield evenly on forearm and top of the hand and I move the shield with the shoulder keeping the arm still.  With the hand raised almost all of the weight is on my palm and my bicep is flexing when moving my shoulder.  Just feels like more work and less comfy. 

I have event day tomorrow and will try and swing the shield around after my arms are tired to see which feels better in a fatigued state.  As of yet I haven't had issues with muscles getting tired, but my cardio sucks.  Working on that, but the winter makes it difficult. 

Not that I need much based on the fighting up; here standing in a line staring at each other is nice and relaxing.  Will be interesting to see if I will get shot less with a shield vs polearm.  All that lack of walking to and from the cone will be nice!
Blk
Dagorhirrim

Postby Arrakis » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:21 pm

[quote="Blk"]
I guess I will play around with it more before I put all the foam on.  The issue with comfort for me is the parallel grip puts the weight of the shield evenly on forearm and top of the hand and I move the shield with the shoulder keeping the arm still.  With the hand raised almost all of the weight is on my palm and my bicep is flexing when moving my shoulder.  Just feels like more work and less comfy. 

I have event day tomorrow and will try and swing the shield around after my arms are tired to see which feels better in a fatigued state.  As of yet I haven't had issues with muscles getting tired, but my cardio sucks.  Working on that, but the winter makes it difficult. 

Not that I need much based on the fighting up; here standing in a line staring at each other is nice and relaxing.  Will be interesting to see if I will get shot less with a shield vs polearm.  All that lack of walking to and from the cone will be nice!
[/quote]

It's a balance issue; you can't test how it will feel with the straps you have now. You need to install straps specifically for the angled strap setup to tell the difference. You can check out how it feels with a round shield, if you have one. It's not the same, but close enough.
Arrakis
Dagorhirrim

Postby Scheiny of Asgard, the Space Oracle » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:08 pm

don't forget that in a game that allows shield bashes, a bulky dude can be an intimidating opponent.

i agree the Juggernaut looks like a space man.

here is the tutorial for the Bocksten tunic that was mentioned but not linked.  use cotton broadcloth [like a bedsheet] or linen:
http://www.dagorhir.com/gear/content/ga ... _tunic.php

you can get real fur really cheaply at thrift stores if you want more fur, fur coats for $20 and this is the time of year to look.

i'd like to see the lower legs of your pants narrowed or bound, as has been suggested.  that kidney belt looks great.  the mask is super creepy, it's awesome.  i love the exposed stitching.

[quote="Blk"]
I am an amateur strongman[/quote]

that is freaking awesome!  i know strongman has its own culture [i don't know anything about it], but are you into the sideshow end of things at all?
sideshow is actually a form of entertainment that dates back to medieval times, i would be stoked to see one one night at an event, especially at Rag.
if i ever choose an actual persona name i might use Celaeno, the harpy from The Last Unicorn and actual Greek mythology.  it's mine, you can't have it!

Lady Scheiny of Mirkwood, Sultana of the Hafla
Proud supporter of the JDC and DFA!
Scheiny of Asgard, the Space Oracle
Dagorhirrim

Postby Blk » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:33 pm

I don't really do the sideshow part as the competitions have set events.  Some of them are based on the old time shows though like circus dumbbells, fat bars, picking up cars/people.  It would be pretty easy to do provided some has the implements.  There is some money that would be involved buying things that look more showy like the old circus weights, and I have no idea how you would transport that to and from a Rag. 

Picking up people in various ways would probably be the way to go.
Blk
Dagorhirrim

PreviousNext

Return to Garb & Equipment