Monster hunter

So you want to be a Ranger from Gondor? A 5th century Visigothic chieftain? A Dothraki horselord, or a filthy peasant? Get advice on how to pull it off here.

Moderator: Global Moderator

Monster hunter

Postby Gunter » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:03 am

I'd like to try to portray something along the lines of a traveling mercenary/monster hunter. The concept I've been considering is somewhere between Guts from the anime berserk and Geralt of Rivia. The weapons I carry consist of a 5'6" greatsword and a 2' shortsword for close encounters. What would you recommend for the garb necessary for a tall slender man to pull that off?
Gunter
Dagorhirrim

Re: Monster hunter

Postby Arjac Ironside » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:36 am

Basics: Tunic and pants?

More specific:  Depends on what kind of place you're from and what you've been hunting.  Furs from cold places, scales from dragons, bone or shells if sea serpents are your thing etc.  Would your character wear armor or rely on speed and agility (how much good does armor do against a dragon REALLY)? 
And what of tomorrow?  What of tales yet to be told and the cycle of stars? 
These were truly the End Times.

But they were the also the Beginning.
Arjac Ironside
Dagorhirrim

Postby Raum » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:08 am

You could wear a doublet that's not super fancy. Carry two great swords on your back like Gerald does and make one of the covers grey?(I'm actually going to do something like this) Um high boots and some kind of pants I guess that doesn't matter much as long as they aren't too baggy. And some sort of armor I suppose the amount of armor and whether or not it's steel or leather is up to you.
Raum
Dagorhirrim

Postby Anvildude » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:41 pm

I'd say layers would be important.  Monsters live all over the place, so you'll want good travel clothes, that'll work for you in frigid tundra and searing deserts, so good combinations of linen and wool will be your friend, and you'll probably want stuff that's flowy, but can be tied tighter.  A hood and cloak, probably.  Get a couple belt pouches and a slot for a canteen- travel rations or nums for staking out a lair.

Boots will be heavy and thick- if you're making your own, make 'em super durable, maybe even with wooden soles.  If buying, have an eye for ones that go above the ankle, maybe half-calf high, possibly with a cuff at the top- that part of the boot is basically light armour for the lower leg, and if you're travelling the wilds you'll want something to protect your lower leg from things like sawgrass, ice crusts on snow, ticks, thorn bushes, all that.  In fact, once you get your footwear, you might want to go tromping around in a field somewhere to get the properly weathered.

You'll have your tunic and pants as your base stuff, but to layer, you'll probably actually want a second layer of tunic and pants, larger, more billowy and made out of rougher, heavier material (burlap or canvas?)- but this stuff would be easy to shed, so maybe side-laced outer-pants and front-buttoned/laced overtunic- these would sort of be your 'bad weather' gear- along with an oiled or waxed canvas overcloak, that would get you through the bad storms.

Heavy belt, both to support your gear and weapons, and as a little bit of additional protection on your torso- remember that you're probably going to be wearing this at about your navel, so make your pants long enough in the 'belly' that they'll go up behind it, so the belt can actually help support them (unless you're doing suspenders or something).

You'll have a bedroll/traveling pack, also either leather or oiled canvas, and that'll strap to your back, so you honestly probably wouldn't have your weapons sheathed there- two-handed weapons would be lashed to the pack while travelling, not really at hand (that's what your smaller side-weapon is for), and then just be carried about if you're expecting or looking for trouble.

That's how I'd do it, anyways.  Focus on the travel bit, dress like you're prepared for all sorts of different weather and terrain, then as you go , add little trinkets and trophies of things you've 'killed'.

Actually, on that note, something you could start off with is horn-tip buttons.  If you live around where deer are, you should be able to find antlers yourself, but if not, you should be able to buy them- use the tips of the antlers as buttons (old-school buttons, that is, not snaps) for your various bits of clothing or over-clothing.  It'll add a pretty nice 'wild man' bit to your look, and if anyone asks, you can start bragging about how they're from a Bilgesnipe or something.
Anvildude
Dagorhirrim

Postby Gunter » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:34 pm

I'd have to say I really like the idea of the trophies and the like, though I can't do the two sword across my back because of the fact that I've got a really narrow frame and I use a buster sword. One thing though is I'd like to look like I'm somewhat well off but on the road a lot so my clothes are fairly worn
Gunter
Dagorhirrim

Postby Stormthroe » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:15 am

I was gonna create my own thread, but saw this one and figured I'd post on it.

I'm just getting started on building my kits after only a year in the sport, but long term I'd like to make myself look something akin to the School of the Bear armor from Witcher 3. Does anyone have any ideas on where to get something like the longer gambeson Geralt is seen wearing? My weapons aren't quite as important to the look; I'm a shorter, lithe guy so I like to fight with blues that I have made to suit my height, somewhere around 36-40".

However, I really like the idea of the draping gambeson seen in the game. Does anyone have any ideas on where to get one? I haven't built up much of a space for working on my own garb, but if someone had a pattern I could do my very best to get it together. This, of course coupled with the advice from previous posts, would look pretty cool in my opinion.
Stormthroe
Dagorhirrim

Return to So you want to be a...?