Location: Roundtree Park in Falls Church VA
Friends in War: As Winter's icy chill grips our land, and Ragnarok seems far away, do not despair! Whet your blades, strap on your shield, and pick your straightest shafts, for the time has come to determine the Champions of the Aratari!
YOU are invited to the Seventeenth Annual Dagorhir Aratari Champions' Tournament. Even though this will be a Tournament event, there may be two team and pick-up fights going on throughout the day.
• The cost for the Tournament event will be the standard battle cost of five dollars.
• Check-in is from 10:00-12:00. Tournament events will start at 12:30 sharp!
• Each event is planned to take 30 minutes max to complete.
The Tournament Events:
- 1 - Weapon and Shield
2 - Red Weapon
3 - Two Weapon
4 - Two 1H Weapon
5 - Archer
6 - Blue Weapon
7 - Green Weapon
8 - Unlimited
9 - Four-Horsemen of the Apocalypse
The winner of each event becomes the Aratari Champion of that weapons class, for one year. Titles will include: Aratari Weapon and Shield Champion, Aratari Red Weapon Champion, Aratari Two Weapon Champion, Aratari Two 1H Weapon Champion, Aratari Archer Champion, Aratari Blue Weapon Champion, Aratari Green Weapon Champion, THE Aratari Champion, Aratari Four Man Team Champions. There will also be Aratari Rookie Champions for the rookie weapons classes with an X by them.
You may enter as many Weapons Classes as you wish; but if you win one veteran class, you must drop out of all other classes except Unlimited and Four-Man Team. Rookies who win an event are from then on only allowed to compete as a Rookie in the Rookie Unlimited event. Rookies may compete as a Veteran in any events they choose, including Archery and Four Man Team.
- To compete in the Rookie events, your first Dagorhir battle must have been after the preceding Aratari Champion's Tournament.
- The Veteran and Rookie events will be run simultaneously.
- Rookies may participate in the veteran events.
- Each duel will be decided by single-elimination events. If you lose once, you are out of that class.
- In each class, warriors will be allowed one weapon of that class (no backup), except Two Weapon (Any two hand-held, non-projectile weapons. Javelins may be used as short spears. No shields allowed.) Two 1H Weapon (Each must be < 48”) and Unlimited (Anything goes, including armor and missile weapons).
- Weapons used in class-specific events may only be used for their "classification". (i.e. If you enter the Green weapon class carrying a thrusting axe, hacks are not permitted. Only the pokey-tip will count.)
- In the Weapon and Shield category, any non-projectile weapon may be used in conjunction with any type of shield.
- If a weapon breaks or becomes unsafe during a bout, the warrior may exchange it for a comparable weapon, from the sidelines. (Otherwise, the fighter fights with what they have!)
- Archers may carry as many arrows as they wish, and may re-use arrows from the field.
- Armor will only count in the Unlimited and Four-Man Team Categories.
- In the event of a simultaneous "kill", fighters will re-fight the duel. (Healed of all wounds and equipment damage.)
- Any fighter that does not appear when a round starts forfeits that round.
- Once an event starts, no additional fighters may participate in that event.
- We will use multiple fighting areas, until the semi-final and final rounds.
- The Archer duels will be fought to the death. (Combat archery)
- Contestants may move about their fighting area as they fight.
- Stepping out of the defined fighting area will result in a forfeit for that round.
- Deliberate failure to engage an opponent, including a legged opponent, for twenty seconds total will result in a forfeit for that round. The twenty count will start when the non-engagement starts and continue as non-engagement continues.
- If a grapple or close contact situation lasts for over ten seconds with no apparent end in sight, the fighters will be separated and have their equipment returned to them, then resume fighting. (Keeping all wounds and damage.)
- Anyone that impedes the smooth flow of the event may be removed from competition by the event organizers or the heralds. (This includes, but is not limited to: Excessive cussing, smack talking and yelling at people.)
Duel Selection and Progression:
- In all events, duels will be fought simultaneously, until the semi-final and final rounds.
- Individual duels will not have specific heralds assigned.
- Pairs will be randomly selected for each duel. Each fighter will have an “equal” chance of facing any other fighter.
- No exceptions for re-selecting pairs will be made.
- In the event there are an odd number of fighters, one fighter will get a "bye" for that round.
- If the field is narrowed down to 5-7 warriors, the field will be reduced to 4, for the semi-finals.
- This will be done by selecting 2 * the number of fighters above four.
- This may result in 1-3 fighters receiving a semi-finals reduction round bye.
- Heralds will be on hand to observe the duels.
- In the semi-final and final rounds, ideally at least one herald will be from a different unit then both contestants.
- The Heralds will only intercede if a dispute occurs or a fighter fails to take an obvious hit.
Footnote: This annual event is held in February, in an attempt to maintain interest and attendance in Dagorhir through the leanest months of the year.