Ivy's chain whip sword

Building a weapon? Have a new design or helpful hint you would like to share? Please ask advice or give advice here!

Moderator: Global Moderator

Ivy's chain whip sword

Postby Barnabis The Great » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:33 pm

a friend of mine gave me an idea a long time ago, to make a chain whip sword like Ivy's from soul calibur. as far as i can tell, so long as i can it a flail, it should be legal. if you think that its not, please explain why you think it isnt legal so that i can learn of my mistakes. i was thinking of makeing the chain links about 1 inch long so that, in time, it can stretch out and still be legal.

please tell me what you guys think.
Attachments
sword.jpg
Last edited by Barnabis The Great on Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"None can defeat Barnabis the Great! (except for me, glen, zach, glen's mom, a troop of girl scouts, a wet cat, or anything stronger than a stiff gust of wind)"
  ~paul, the french jungle man, schmitt
Barnabis The Great
Dagorhirrim

Re: Ivy's chain whip sword

Postby Lev MacViathan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:35 pm

I could either tell you "NO" or you could use the search function and have other people tell you "NO". your choice.
FABRICATI DIEM PVNC
Satisfied customer of BadAss Garb.
Disciple of Lock
swordbrother of Tauronziz
Lev MacViathan
Dagorhirrim

Postby Barnabis The Great » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:54 pm

[quote="Leviathan"]
I could either tell you "NO" or you could use the search function and have other people tell you "NO". your choice.
[/quote]
well that negative...
any body else?
"None can defeat Barnabis the Great! (except for me, glen, zach, glen's mom, a troop of girl scouts, a wet cat, or anything stronger than a stiff gust of wind)"
Barnabis The Great
Dagorhirrim

Postby Disirregardlessly hivemind » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:57 pm

No.
Primarch Ser Hivemind Saligia of The Cairnhold Legion, Winterfell: A drinking unit with a fighting problem.
Ragnarok XXVI Arts & Sciences Competition Winner: Armor & Miscellaneous
Ragnarok Head Leather Armor Checker since Rag XXVII
Proud member of the Dagorhir Kyriarchy!
Disirregardlessly hivemind
Dagorhirrim

Postby Arrakis » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:04 pm

Great idea!

No one has ever thought of this before, especially not back when that character was first introduced to the series and her novel weapon was the new hotness.  Clearly, you have a deep and abiding understanding of the pertinent rules.

You should definitely pour your time and money into this project.  Post lots of pics.
Arrakis
Dagorhirrim

Postby Mikhail » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:09 pm

In an effort to be vaguely helpful... this would violate the 6" rule for flail chains by a lot. As soon as it stops being "handle," it starts being "chain," so after 6" of chainswordy stuff, it stops counting as a flail and starts counting as illegal.

Sorry, bro -- you might want to stick to swords and shields for a while. There's a very good reason that the simple blue sword is the most widely used weapon in this sport.
[quote="djemps"]Mikhail spelled it out perfectly. [/quote]

Also known as Monk.
Mikhail
Dagorhirrim

Postby Thorondor » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:09 pm

Since Leviathan was so negative...lets try it THIS way.  (see the smiley)

Use the search function to tell you no.

Or I can tell you no.

Take your pick :)
Uruk hai: Serpent Breed.  I'll shoot you before my brothers in arms can get to you.
Thorondor
Dagorhirrim

Postby Eastland » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:15 pm

God you guys are brutal. 

but they are totally right. I had the same idea, the only weapons from SC that work are in the Nightmare/Siegfried area.

you could still make it though, just to play with at home, i mean, you might not ever get the change to use it at an event or whatever, but none can stop you from backyarding with it.

also, your pic is pretty hot, there are a lot of women on here who are going to message you about it. By women, I mean men, and by men, I mean me, haaaaay  ;)
Eastland
Dagorhirrim

Postby Barnabis The Great » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:24 pm

ok now i understand that it isnt possiable to do. thankyou to the people who EXPLAINED why it could not work
Barnabis The Great
Dagorhirrim

Postby Thorondor » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:28 pm

[quote="barnabe9240"]
ok now i understand that it isnt possiable to do. thankyou to the people who EXPLAINED why it could not work
[/quote]

After the 5th or 6th time of someone asking the same (or very similar question) it gets repetitive and easier to tell people no and to use the search function...which will give them the reason why it won't work.
Uruk hai: Serpent Breed.  I'll shoot you before my brothers in arms can get to you.
Thorondor
Dagorhirrim

Postby Barnabis The Great » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:33 pm

[quote="Thorondor"]
[quote="barnabe9240"]
[/quote]

After the 5th or 6th time of someone asking the same (or very similar question) it gets repetitive and easier to tell people no and to use the search function...which will give them the reason why it won't work.
[/quote]

live and learn, ill do that next time before i post an idea.
Barnabis The Great
Dagorhirrim

Postby Alric » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:38 pm

Everyone please, take a look at this guy's post count, see that he's new around here, and give him a hand. It doesn't take much longer to give him an answer than to type 'No.' or to tell him to use the search function.

---

Mikhail's right, Barnabe. That flail would be seen as an attempt to get around the 6" length limit for a flail chain, and would almost certainly not be allowed as a result. It's a cool idea, but not going to fly.

In the future, it would be helpful to do a search and see if your question has been asked before. This one has come up multiple times in the last few years. (edit: just saw your post, pardon the redundant advice!)
Alric
Dagorhirrim

Postby Disirregardlessly hivemind » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:42 pm

I don't have time for more than "no", I'm playing WoT.
Primarch Ser Hivemind Saligia of The Cairnhold Legion, Winterfell: A drinking unit with a fighting problem.
Ragnarok XXVI Arts & Sciences Competition Winner: Armor & Miscellaneous
Ragnarok Head Leather Armor Checker since Rag XXVII
Proud member of the Dagorhir Kyriarchy!
Disirregardlessly hivemind
Dagorhirrim

Postby Thorondor » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:44 pm

[quote="Alric"]Everyone please, take a look at this guy's post count, see that he's new around here, and give him a hand.[/quote]

Didn't even look over at his pic or post count.  It was an automatic response with a smiley to take the edge off the pain of restating obvious information...

Sorry Barnabe...and is that name after the poet?
Thorondor
Dagorhirrim

Postby Milo Baines » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:55 pm

I'll say something a bit different then...

a brief read-thru of the rules would answer this question...also, going to your nearest chapter with this question will get you better answers, more help, and somewhat less flack...

On the other hand, it might be cool to try and make her sword in its not whip like form...ya know, when it's sword shaped.
"Just glue some gears on it and call it Steampunk."

F.G., Legio Promethean
Backwater Brawler-New Braunfels, TX
Milo Baines
Dagorhirrim

Postby Beoferith Aildgeth » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:00 pm

http://www.dagorhir.com/forums/http://w ... ic.php?t=9
I was just thinking that this would be a good thing to point you to Barnabe. Read that, use the search function, then read that thread again before asking about video game weapons. People here are harsh just an FYI.
For Tarn!
Beoferith Aildgeth
Dagorhirrim

Postby Rafiq's Slightly Used Camels » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:03 pm

[quote="hivemind"]
I don't have time for more than "no", I'm playing WoT.
[/quote]

World of Trollcraft isn't a real game
Grand Schindler of the Garbstapo
[quote="Aondor"]
Fedoras save me the time of having to get to know someone before i assume things about them.
[/quote]
Rafiq's Slightly Used Camels
Dagorhirrim

Postby Whisper Moonson » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:08 pm

You sure about that? I was just watching a bunch of people run a quest in that game.
Sgt. Whisper Moonson
Outsourcing Manager for the Guilder Brute Squad - "Magnum malum viri!"
Trollers Union Local #801, home of the cuddly drop bears - Grammar Thug Who Can't Be Bothered
Still wondering where the king took the palace.
Whisper Moonson
Global Moderator

Postby Jari Kafghan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:12 pm

which quest?
Jari Kafghan
Global Moderator

Postby Malpan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:15 pm

The one with the chain sword.
~Malpan
Fire Goblin of the Tall Cap clan, Cleric of Maglubiyet, Unicorn of Goblins, Founding Member of Cackspackle, Formerly of Black Tower, Narnian by Kidnapping, Honorary Member of Urk Kuldar, Ranger by Cheezit, Royal Pet of Brittania, On Watch for Mirkwood
Malpan
Dagorhirrim

Postby Thorondor » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:24 pm

I thought I had completed it in the past, but it came up again, so I accepted and ran the quest over.
Thorondor
Dagorhirrim

Postby Stellaria » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:41 pm

Jeez, what a bunch of geeks.
Stell
Dagorhir is too big for special snowflakes. A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine. You aren't special. Follow the damn rules.
Stellaria
Dagorhirrim

Postby Stellaria » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:24 am

And now for my serious post. Have you completed all of these yet? Only after completing all of these should a Dagorhir new-person consider building silly video-game weaponry.

Newbie Order of Operations

So you've just stumbled across Dagorhir, and would love to get in on the fighting as quickly as possible. Follow these steps to slide into the game as painlessly as possible.

1. Locate a local group, and find out when they hold practices.
Solusar's Dagorhir Map - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie ... 30a782&z=4
List of Dagorhir Realms and Units - http://dagorhir.com/chapters/index.htm
If you can't find anything near you in the list or on the map, do come to the forums and ask if anyone can direct you to a nearby group! http://www.dagorhir.com/forums/http://w ... .php?f=1.0
A Dagorhir practice is like a mini-battle, and is where everyone should start their fighting experience. Be sure to ask if you need your own garb or weapons to come to practice.

2. Read through the Dagorhir Manual of Arms - http://dagorhir.com/dagorhir/Rules.htm
This will detail how the game is played, and what a lot of the terms mean that you will hear on the fighting field. It is strongly suggested that you read through it more than once, and then, if you have any questions, refer to the rules before asking. Every time.

3. If your local practice does not require you to have your own weapon or garb to attend, you may begin going to practices. You may need to sign or have your parents sign a waiver before you can participate in a practice. Those may be printed off from here - http://www.dagorhirragnarok.com/DagorhirWaiver.pdf

Do not stop here, though! You still need your own things. You won't be a rank newb forever!

4. Save some money. You'll need about $35-$40 to get started with your basic weapon and costume if you make them yourself, or about $70 to buy the basics already made. If saving is hard for you, one suggested method of saving up a set amount is to give up a vice for a week or two. Redirect the money for your daily coffee/soda/nicotine/video game/alcohol fix into getting some supplies for Dagorhir gear.

5. Build or acquire a "blue" sword. No matter what ideas you have for what you'd like to make and fight with in the future, take this step first. The Eryndor flash tutorial - http://www.dagorhir.com/gear/content/we ... esword.swf will walk you through from start to finish. If you do not wish to build one yourself, a basic blue sword can be purchased from a supplier of Dagorhir-legal weapons such as www.axeandarrow.com or www.forgedfoam.com

6. Make or acquire a tunic. Again, no matter what you think you might want to make, or who you might want to be in the future, do not skip this step. My T-tunic tutorial will take you through the process from start to finish. http://incidentalpadding.com/article.php?entry=211 No, you don't need a sewing machine.....and yes, manly men sew all the time.
If you do not wish to sew your own tunic, you can have one made for you by the talented seamstresses at www.tailoredtunics.com or www.badassgarb.com

At this point, you have your basics - a weapon and a piece of basic garb that will get you onto the fighting field at any Dagorhir practice or event. Most new guys aren't going to want to stop with just a single sword and tunic, though! Carry on....

7. Build a shield. There are several designs to choose from based on your resources. Tutorials can be found on this page - http://www.dagorhir.com/gear/weapon_tutorials.php

8. Make more garb. A lot of new guys want to jump right into armor-making at this point, and I want to tell you right now that having more garb and weapons first is the better plan! Weapons and garb are required to fight in Dagorhir, but armor is not! Work on finding pants or suitable accessories, assess your shoe choice. Maybe make another tunic for layering.

9. Make another weapon or two. By now you've gotten to see other weapons than the basic blue sword. You may have gotten to try them out. Maybe you were shown a more advanced-construction blue sword. Now is the time to expand your personal armory. Again, you can find tutorials for various weapons on this page - http://www.dagorhir.com/gear/weapon_tutorials.php

10. Make more garb. No, I'm not kidding. This time, you will focus on your needs for extreme temperatures. If you live in a colder climate, consider what you will need to continue practicing and attending events once the temperature drops. Wool, layered tunics, character/period appropriate head-covering, gloves or mittens, and warm legwear and footwear are all things to consider. For those needing to deal with high-temperature extremes, perhaps look into making garb with cooler fabric choices like thin linen, or maybe clothing styles from period-appropriate southern cultures. (links to come)

11. Consider Armor. You've been fighting for a while now....do you actually need it? Still really want it? Start your research ( http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/ ) and money-saving now. Armor is not meant to be cheap or easy to come by - you will pay for that extra protection with either time (making it yourself) or money (buying ready-made, either new or used).

Once you get to this point, you'll have a decent kit that will see you through any battle. But what to do next?  Consider these steps:

12. Get some feast gear

13. Start accumulating camping gear
Last edited by Stellaria on Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stell
Dagorhir is too big for special snowflakes. A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine. You aren't special. Follow the damn rules.
Stellaria
Dagorhirrim

Postby Grand High Serious Guy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:16 pm

[quote="Stellaria"]
Jeez, what a bunch of geeks.
[/quote]
I find the trem Geek to be offensive and request that it not be used anymore.
Vote Blackhawk and Yinz 2012.
Grand High Serious Guy
Dagorhirrim

Postby peanutbutter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:20 pm

I define geek as aperson who specializes in certain topics so every Is a geek
peanutbutter
Dagorhirrim

Postby Barnabis The Great » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:26 pm

thank you guys for all ur help and im sry i didnt look through the search 1st. ive been in dag for about a year now but i only got on this site about a week ago. i hate looking like a newbie but that was my fualt for asking a stupied question
Barnabis The Great
Dagorhirrim

Postby Devaryn » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:40 pm

Someone please sticky the hell out of the useful brilliance Stellaria just posted.
Sir Devaryn "Dev" the Bearjew
Elite Blood Falcon, Knight of Taurendor
Ragnarok XXVII Bardic Competition Winner (Song)
Ragnarok Treasurer XXVI, XXVII, XXVIII, XXIX, XXX
Devaryn
Dagorhirrim

Postby Ravus Tull » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:19 pm

Small side note: another step to being taken seriously on these boards, the internet at large, and life in general is to take the time to proofread your posts. Small typos like "fualt" instead of "fault" can be overlooked once in a while but if you have three or more misspellings in a post you're being careless. Same goes for 'text abbreviations'. 

I'm not saying you need to capitalize everything correctly, or even use commas and the like *all* the time, but the better your writing the more patience the helpful folks around here will have in aiding you.

And for the record: typing from a phone is no excuse. *this* was typed from a phone and I haven't messed up too awfully now have I?

[/Grammar **** ]
Je suis pas d'aide.
[quote="Wholely Kyrax"]
Ravus is wise. 
[/quote]
Ravus Tull
Dagorhirrim

Postby Barnabis The Great » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:45 pm

[quote="Thorondor"]
[quote="Alric"]Everyone please, take a look at this guy's post count, see that he's new around here, and give him a hand.[/quote]

Didn't even look over at his pic or post count.  It was an automatic response with a smiley to take the edge off the pain of restating obvious information...

Sorry Barnabe...and is that name after the poet?
[/quote]

Its french. My mom is french and she gave my dad a list of names too pick from. Barnabe was the only 1 he could pronounce so thats how i got my name. kind of a fail, but the ladys love my name  8)
Barnabis The Great
Dagorhirrim

Postby Arrakis » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:52 am

[quote="Barnabis The Great"]
thank you guys for all ur help and im sry i didnt look through the search 1st. ive been in dag for about a year now but i only got on this site about a week ago. i hate looking like a newbie but that was my fualt for asking a stupied question
[/quote]

Nice.  Hope my sarcasm wasn't too extreme; I just react poorly to the classic example of

Original Poster: I want advice on this!

Poster B: Advice that contradicts what you want to hear.

Original Poster: That's awfully negative of you don't you think?  I want OTHER peoples' advice.

It happens on here all the time.
Arrakis
Dagorhirrim

Postby Barnabis The Great » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:23 pm

[quote="Arrakis"]
[quote="Barnabis The Great"]
[/quote]

Nice.  Hope my sarcasm wasn't too extreme; I just react poorly to the classic example of

Original Poster: I want advice on this!

Poster B: Advice that contradicts what you want to hear.

Original Poster: That's awfully negative of you don't you think?  I want OTHER peoples' advice.

It happens on here all the time.
[/quote]

understood. i wont call peoples advice negative any more
Barnabis The Great
Dagorhirrim

Postby Arlin The Dwarf » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:11 pm

maybe if you made ivy's sword when its in sword mode not whip...
The pines were roaring on the height.
The winds were moaning in the night.
The fire was red, it flaming spread.
The trees like torches blazed with light.
Arlin The Dwarf
Dagorhirrim

Postby Malpan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:19 pm

[quote="Milo Baines"]
On the other hand, it might be cool to try and make her sword in its not whip like form...ya know, when it's sword shaped.
[/quote]
[quote="Azriel Draconis"]
[/quote]

Day late. Dollar short.
~Malpan
Fire Goblin of the Tall Cap clan, Cleric of Maglubiyet, Unicorn of Goblins, Founding Member of Cackspackle, Formerly of Black Tower, Narnian by Kidnapping, Honorary Member of Urk Kuldar, Ranger by Cheezit, Royal Pet of Brittania, On Watch for Mirkwood
Malpan
Dagorhirrim

Postby Cassius » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:33 pm

[quote="Malpan"]
[quote="Milo Baines"]
[/quote]
[quote="Azriel Draconis"]
[/quote]

DayWeek late. Dollar short.
[/quote]
Cassius
Dagorhirrim

Postby Arctictiger35 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:27 am

Super old Necro, but the rules say -a- chain can't be more than 6 inches. And no rule on more than one chain. That means you can have multiple chains each of up to 6 inches. So a whip sword is actually viable. Although due to a lot of weapon checkers not liking when you point out their add on to the rules doesn't exist, you probably won't get it passed at many events
Arctictiger35
Dagorhirrim

Return to Weapons & Armor