Helmet Padding and Hilt Wrapping

Building a weapon? Have a new design or helpful hint you would like to share? Please ask advice or give advice here!

Moderator: Global Moderator

Helmet Padding and Hilt Wrapping

Postby Wiglaf » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:47 pm

Greetings,

I am a quiet observer of the boards, having recently joined up, and finally have my first comment/question.  I recently, yesterday, attended the local Renn Fair.  Whilst I was there I purchased a sword, not for Dagorhir, and a helmet, for Dagorhir.  Now, the sword needs a new hilt wrap, the old one was clearly only a place holder, and the helmet could use some foam padding so that it will rest properly upon my noggin.  Now, I have the general idea of how to perform both tasks.  However, I do not know which glue is 'best' for either application.

I'm mostly concerned about the helmet here, since the glue will be close to my nose and eyes for longer stretches of time, and want to make sure I do it right the first time.  What is recommended here?

Is DAP the best glue for hilt wrapping as well as weapon construction, or is there a better glue out there wich will work on both plastic and steel?  Any hilt wrapping tips I get here will be used both on the actual sword, and on my future Dag creations.

I look forward to reading your responses and wish each of you a wonderful day.
Wiglaf
Dagorhirrim

Re: Helmet Padding and Hilt Wrapping

Postby Sirilay, Innaniel » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:45 pm

Honestly, I haven't used glue on pommels in years for Dag, and they get a lot more use than my non-Dag swords do. I used double sided tape, carpet tape, or coyly reversed strapping tape. That's held up 99% of the time through the use of the sword, where the foam and such breaks down before the handgrip does.

I have a helmet in another fighting system, and I also used double sided tape there for padding, too. It broke down just recently, and that was after both years of use and years of sitting. If you're looking for a more "period" looking solution, you can devise a suspension system out of leather strapping to keep it tight and away from your face.

[/two cents]
Be compassionate and fearless in all that you do.

"Dagorhir is not a game of tournaments and established pecking orders...[it's] A game where any honourable, considerate person can fully enjoy themselves and be made welcome regardless of their athletic abilities." ~Aratar
Sirilay, Innaniel
Dagorhirrim

Postby Wiglaf » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:10 am

You know, I'm feeling a bit foolish now for not thinking of double sided tape.  Thank you!  :)  That should give me enough stick what what I am trying to do.
Wiglaf
Dagorhirrim

Postby Sirilay, Innaniel » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:35 am

Happens to us all :) Glad to have helped!  ;D
Be compassionate and fearless in all that you do.

"Dagorhir is not a game of tournaments and established pecking orders...[it's] A game where any honourable, considerate person can fully enjoy themselves and be made welcome regardless of their athletic abilities." ~Aratar
Sirilay, Innaniel
Dagorhirrim

Postby Cassin » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:26 pm

My crappy helmet has camp pad held in place by double-sided tape as well.
It is very hot, but provides better protection from horizontal impacts than the one traditional suspension I have tried. About equal for vertical.
The double-sided tape is handy because you can rearrange your pads without re-gluing.

I also use double-sided tape extensively in all my boffer handles.
Before you pick a name, say it out loud, have a friend say it out loud, have an acquaintance try to pronounce it from print, and have a sibling try to make fun of it.
Cassin
Dagorhirrim

Return to Weapons & Armor