Golf Club core

Building a weapon? Have a new design or helpful hint you would like to share? Please ask advice or give advice here!

Moderator: Global Moderator

Golf Club core

Postby Edos » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:49 pm

I just found a pair of graphite golf clubs and have read that they can be brittle so I have a couple questions.
Before you say it I know kitspar is "better" but these were free and kitspar isn't.

What would be a good way to test them before doing all the work or is it still worth it to make them being that I paid nothing for them.

Would there be a way to strengthen them up? Say pouring Fiberglas resin down the shaft or a foaming resin?
Edos
Dagorhirrim

Re: Golf Club core

Postby Sven Kolfinsson » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:15 am

I don't know of a good way to test them before building them, nor do I know of a way to strengthen them up. Anything that is strong and flexible would work in theory, but I've never tried.

Personally, I'd just build on them and see how long they last.
Disirregardlessly hivemind wrote:
Sven Kolfinsson wrote:...it worked pretty good until a side fell.

tl;dr: the history of warfare :)

#metalgauntlets2014
Sven Kolfinsson
Dagorhirrim

Postby Darkain » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:18 pm

I'd also probably just build on them and see what happens. :)

If I was being more thorough however...
From reading some tips on how to care for graphite golf clubs, it seems that they are typically painted then sealed with a polyurethane layer. If this layer is eroded then the fibers can be damaged. So first, I'd inspect your shafts closely to make sure there isn't already damage. Second, I'd reseal them. Third, I'd cover them with something to prevent any solvents (such as found in DAP) from screwing up the seal (maybe use gorilla/duct tape?).
http://www.golf-information.info/golf-club-care.html
Darkain
Dagorhirrim

Postby Cassin » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:53 pm

I don't know of anything you can do to the core that would make it significantly stronger without adding enough weight that it would defeat the purpose of a graphite core.

If you use these cores, they will perform well, but there will be no telling how long they will last. Any damage is irreparable, and the material will be pretty safe from sharp impacts once it's encased in foam. Just build them and hope for the best.
Before you pick a name, say it out loud, have a friend say it out loud, have an acquaintance try to pronounce it from print, and have a sibling try to make fun of it.
Cassin
Dagorhirrim

Return to Weapons & Armor