Chainmaille and hits

Questions, clarifications, and/ or comments regarding Dagorhir Rules.

Moderator: Global Moderator

Chainmaille and hits

Postby ArkWulff » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:02 pm

Ok, this is absolutely baffling me. I was just told be my club that full length chainmaille. (Covering arms and down to knees) only counts as torso armor. IE: that a hit on my armored arm would block the blue hit, but it would break the chainmaille for all other spots.

They quoted since it's connected it counts as one piece of armor.

So therefore, in their rules, if I receive a single blue to the arm, then a single green to the torso, I am dead. I was under the impression however. That arm armor was arm armor. And torso armor was torso armor.
ArkWulff
Dagorhirrim

Re: Chainmaille and hits

Postby Sven Kolfinsson » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:50 pm

ArkWulff wrote:...arm armor was arm armor. And torso armor was torso armor.

This is the correct interpretation. Armor is only broken in one "strike zone" even if it is technically all one piece (such as your maille hauberk).

"5.1.4 - The front, back, and sides of any part of the body are considered a single strike zone for armor coverage. Hits anywhere on armor on the left leg are considered hits to the "left leg armor," and hits to a fighter's armored chest, sides, and back are considered hits to the "torso armor" even if the hits land on different pieces of armor such as a breastplate and backplate. Think of armor protection in Dagorhir this way: armor lessens the damage from some types of hits, but does not eliminate damage entirely. Hence, an armored fighter will "survive" the first blue weapon hit to his back, but a second blue hit to the same fighter's chest armor will have done enough damage to "kill" the fighter."

Also, a single green to an armored torso will never kill the player, even if the armor is broken.

"5.1.10 - A one-handed green thrust has no effect on armor, even if previously struck with a blue weapon."

EDIT: I should also note that even though your hauberk might reach down to your knees, it's a little bit of a stretch to call it leg armor as well as torso and arm armor. You could argue it, but I definitely wouldn't.
Sven Kolfinsson
Dagorhirrim

Postby ArkWulff » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:09 am

I didn't notice the green stab didn't care about broken armor thanks.

My only issue now is that because this is an interpretation issue (they quoted the same rule as you but interpretated it in their favor) and since they have been playing dag for 10+ years they may not believe my interpretation. They have also stated before that the forums were unreliable sources of information.

If they don't believe my interpretation what then? Is there a higher judge than the club level I can appeal to?
ArkWulff
Dagorhirrim

Postby Sven Kolfinsson » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:26 am

ArkWulff wrote:If they don't believe my interpretation what then? Is there a higher judge than the club level I can appeal to?

If you have facebook, go ask how people believe it should be interpreted in the Dagorhir Battle Games group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/197526817022129). The vast majority will agree with our interpretation of 5.1.4. Armor that covers an arm is arm armor. Armor that covers the torso is torso armor. Even if they're connected (really, almost all arm and torso armors are connected in some way), they're considered two different points of armor since they cover two different strike areas.

Who's your group? I'm a little weary of them calling the boards "unreliable sources of information." Before people moved primarily to facebook, this board was THE place for Dagorhir information, including interpretation of rules. If I know anyone in that group, I'll shoot them a message and see what their reason for counting a hauberk as one single area of armor is.
Sven Kolfinsson
Dagorhirrim

Postby ArkWulff » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:36 am

Thanks again for your replies Sven. My club president just messaged me that they have debated and have agreed it is seperate pieces of armor. So all worked out!

I'm in the Edinboro University fighting Highlanders.
ArkWulff
Dagorhirrim

Postby Sven Kolfinsson » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:04 pm

Not a problem. Glad you guys got it all sorted out. :)
Sven Kolfinsson
Dagorhirrim

Return to Rules rules rules