Elf garb ideas?

So you want to be a Ranger from Gondor? A 5th century Visigothic chieftain? A Dothraki horselord, or a filthy peasant? Get advice on how to pull it off here.

Moderator: Global Moderator

Elf garb ideas?

Postby Pompeii » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:11 pm

I'm looking for ideas to become an elf. I'm looking specifically for something that makes me look like a female, without looking trashy, if that makes sense. I keep seeing garb that either looks like a potato sack with a belt on it or it looks like a sorority girl's halloween costume, and I can't seem to find a good middle ground. Help??
I went to a party looking for a fight, and a Dag event broke out.
Pompeii
Dagorhirrim

Re: Elf garb ideas?

Postby Gorbag » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:03 am

In popular media I think Tauriel from The Hobbit does this pretty well.

Middle of Narnia had a thing on here a long time ago about this exact topic that I will try and track down. Summarized, she took the design for men's fighting clothes (that would look like potato sack on you) and took in or flared out points so it would have more of a feminist look.

http://www.dagorhir.com/forums/index.php/topic,13070.0.html

Something else that can assist with all of this: as with any fantasy race, being an elf does. It necessarily point to any specific, tangible culture since many different creators have done wildly different things with the race. Choosing a real world culture/time period to base your garb off of them tweaking it to make it even can make the process easier.
Last edited by Gorbag on Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Graymael"]
Graymael (Mother of Gorbag)
[/quote]
Gorbag
Dagorhirrim

Postby Arrakis » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:35 pm

There are a few threads on elves and a few on fantastical garb for women on this forum already, including a few on this subforum. Hit the Search link in the toolbar up above (the little |search box| widget doesn't search the whole forum). Here's one!

Also, with proper fitting, which will require either learning to sew above the bare minimum or paying a garb-maker to make you custom-fitted garb, historical women's clothing from Greece through the 15th C. in England can look very flattering and feminine. Women new to Dagorhir often get the impression that the only way to look at all "historical" is to put on a massively oversized tunic with no fitting and belt it to look, as you eloquently put it, like a potato sack.

Not so! You can look like this, instead:

http://tailoredtunics.com/index.php/94-tunicchallenge

http://armstreet.com/store/dresses/

https://www.google.com/search?q=sca+wom ... ie&imgrc=_

And if you're worried about fighting in a dress, I fight in tunics that stop below my knees all the time and have no difficulty with it. If anything, the skirting helps you obscure your footwork  ;)
Arrakis
Dagorhirrim

Postby Sirilay, Innaniel » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:44 am

Your "class" (ie job, whereas elf is a race) can help you determine your garb too. Hunter? Wanderer? Soldier? Mage? Commoner? If you do internet searches, think of using words besides "costumes," 'cause that'll get you the chintzy stuff rather than authentic. Class based garb, too, can be altered to look elven. Flowing embroidery, slanted angles on tabard panels, intricate motifs on armor.

And beyond that, there are many types of elves. Typically, they are tied to the land. Desert, plains, jungle, deciduous forests, swamp. You can do your own research on colors, fabrics, and types of garb for those environment as further inspiration.
Be compassionate and fearless in all that you do.

"Dagorhir is not a game of tournaments and established pecking orders...[it's] A game where any honourable, considerate person can fully enjoy themselves and be made welcome regardless of their athletic abilities." ~Aratar
Sirilay, Innaniel
Dagorhirrim

Return to So you want to be a...?