Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking to Buy Leather Armor.  (Read 1340 times)

Izad

•  
  • Realm: Maethodoron
    • View Profile
Looking to Buy Leather Armor.
« on: November 08, 2009, 03:35:30 am »
I went through a lot of pages and didnt see much along the lines of people selling armor. Nothing with a recent post date at least. And the older ones i did find, i assumed that they were probably gone or the thread author probably stopped checking it.

Anyway, I am Izad of Maethodoron. If you know me, you have seen how big i am. Not very. I am 6' tall and weigh 130 punds. So i am looking for reasonably priced Leather Armor to fit me. So if there is a Dag Member that is trying to get rid of their armor please let me know. Or if anyone knows a good website for it, please let me know. Thanks everyone.

P.S. Come out to our Winter Event. Everything will be posted when the time draws near. 

Antonis

•  
  • Realm: Anvard
  • Unit: Nod
  • Dagorhirrum
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to Buy Leather Armor.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 08:23:51 am »
Buy a side of saddle skirting for 80$.

Public Service Announcement:
Troll: To annoy and spam a forum
Lurk: To read and not post
Antonis, Commander of Nod

Stubbie

•  
  • Realm: Mittlemarch
  • Unit: LoD
  • Bloody-Cap Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 10:03:00 am »
Tandy got'em on sale in Nov. for $65.

VAZI grunt - Alex, IN

A.K.A. - Stumpy

Twinkle

•  
  • Realm: Byzantium
  • Unit: Legion of House Manticore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 11:58:04 am »
Or you can go to http://armoury.housemanticore.com/ if you are wanting to just buy armor instead of trying to make it yourself.

Archduchess of Mirkwood Caelwyn "Twinkle" Firestarter Wolfcaller Dragonsong Altaireotter of Legion of House Manticore, Page to Sir Sgt. Jonathan Baker
twinkle@dagorhir.com
If Scarlit thinks it's a bad idea, then it's a really bad idea.

freiman

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 02:37:24 pm »
Hi Izad,

I am not a long timer on this board, but I am on another that is all about armor.

I think you should go to

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=404fe93d248df5d77fca1badc14ab239

And tell them what you are looking for.  There are two academy award winners on that board as well as the folks that did the armor for a whole lot of the movies you like.  Probably almost all of them.  Get a membership and post a new thread.

Things to remember.

Leather is not necessarily cheaper, especially used.  Leather is probably the most expensive raw material that is used to make larp armor out of.  I am not sure about the price of sheet titanium, but I am betting that top of the line leather is comparable in price.  The big advantage to leather is that it is easier to adjust the fit.  The disadvantage is that it is usually sort of just shoved in a bag when the user is done with it.  There may be some cleaning and polishing that needs doing.  Ask for a current photo, not a pic of what it looked like before the user traded up.  All the time in the armor bag can make a difference.

Be specific about what you want and need.  Folks on that board come from jousting societies, and stage combat teams (jousting performers), Western martial arts groups, larp groups, reenacting societies, and a WHOLE LOT of SCA people.  What works for one group wont necessarily work for another.  Know what your heralds want, and don't buy something you don't need.

And the suggestions that you get a side and make it yourself are good ones.  But you asked where to buy used armor.

f
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 02:42:25 pm by freiman »

Act Your Rage

Maximus Atreus

•  
  • Realm: Aratari
  • Unit: Rome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 05:43:11 pm »
Hey Izad. I have been making and selling armor for years. I have armor for sale on www.bestdagstuff.com

I mainly do custom work though. I can make you some pretty awesome armor custom fit to your measurements. Since you are from maethodoron, you probably know laeshic & narunya, yeah? Or Yari & Blackhawk? Hell just about anyone who gets around the romans has seen my work. Ask one of them about my stuff. I can also send pictures of my work. If you went to Badon Hill, I was the guy selling helmets and other stuffs.

Anyway, if you want to talk custom armor we can.
My prices are very reasonable considering final product, and the armor is always dag legal, I've been fighting for years and know the rules! It's also efficient, economical, flexible and nigh-indestructible (which are traits that most over-the-internet armor does not share seeing as how most of it is made in sweatshops in india).
The downside is that it will take me at least a month, probably more. Emphasis on more. It will however be sweet-tastic armor that makes your friends jealous.

Yes, the Maximus. "A guy who makes leather armor". From high atop the pedestal of affordability, a proud purveyor of durable utilitarian leather armor. That most likely looks rough. And probably doesn't have beveled edges. http://s781.photobucket.com/albums/yy96/maxrlittle/
now making SS SCA manicas

Judge Dredd

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 05:46:18 pm »
Anyway, if you want to talk custom armor we can.
My prices are very reasonable considering final product, and the armor is always dag legal, I've been fighting for years and know the rules! It's also efficient, economical, flexible and nigh-indestructible (which are traits that most over-the-internet armor does not share seeing as how most of it is made in sweatshops in india).
The downside is that it will take me at least a month, probably more. Emphasis on more. It will however be sweet-tastic armor that makes your friends jealous.
QFT......His stuff rocks face!!

Jari Kafghan

• Global Moderator
  •  
  • Unit: Free Cities
  • Day Events Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 05:56:15 pm »
rocking face is an understatement

freiman

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 06:28:01 pm »
Izad,

I don't know Maximus.

I looked over his site, and his gear looks good, and the prices are not too high.  They are also not so low as to be suspicious.

The fact that he makes good especially for the Dag market speaks well of it's suitability for dag combat.

His website has none of the "watch out" signs.

He has had two testimonials on this board, and he has given you two references. 

These are all good signs.

In short, I am not sure that you would be able to find gear from an outsider for very much cheaper.  Yes, you could find US made armor for a little cheaper, but Maximus' knowledge of the Dag ruleset leads me to recommend that you go with him, or with somebody like him, if you want to buy new armor.

The knowledge of the rule set is a big thing.  In essence, by going with a dag specific armorer, you are not just getting armor, you are getting the benefit of his knowledge.  The dag rule set has seemed a little particular to me, because I come from a different club.  Don't discount the value of that knowledge.

This doesn't mean that you shouldn't shop around, or check the references that he gave you.

It does mean that I think you wont find a much better deal in new armor on the outside.  This may be the standard for Dagorhir armor.  I am not experienced enough with this group to have an informed opinion.  The prices for new gear on his site are equal or cheaper than new gear where I come from.  I will know why in a year, but I don't now. 

I certainly think that you should check for used stuff that fits the bill.  At your size and weight, however, it seems unlikely that there will be a lot.

And the suggestion to make your own is still a good one.  Lots of folks will help you.

f

Act Your Rage

Flora

• Goddess
  •  
  • Realm: Lostwithiel
  • Unit: Narnia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 07:01:52 pm »
My husband, Sir Tobias from Narnia also makes leather armor if you are looking for more choices.

http://houseoftobias.googlepages.com/

Dame Flora of House Tobias from Narnia

"Do not go where the path may lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."EMERSON

Taltosh

•  
  • Realm: Aggelgorod
  • Unit: Utiguri; Chakagar Tribe
  • My word is iron.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 07:20:37 pm »
What style of armour are you looking for? I can make Japanese and Asiatic armour, but aside from that anything lamellar or scale is also within my realm.
I could do it in hardened leather scale, or lacquered bison rawhide scale. The bison rawhide would be more expensive, but it would be way more accurate if your persona is Asiatic. Otherwise, the tanned leather should do.
 A tanned hardened leather scale shirt would be 150+ish depending on what kind of closures and decoration you want. I can order cast bronze fittings, but those will drive the price way up.

I am the land and the bones of the hills. I am the winter. When I am dead, I will come for you all in the coldest nights.

Naga

•  
  • Realm: none in NE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 08:17:55 pm »
rocking face is an understatement

lol nice deadliest warrior reference

Alric

• Administrator
  •  
  • Realm: Angaron
  • Unit: Drentha
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 10:27:32 pm »
My husband, Sir Tobias from Narnia also makes leather armor if you are looking for more choices.

http://houseoftobias.googlepages.com/

I'll vouch for Tobias' work. It's good quality, and he's not the sort to rip you off.

Izad

•  
  • Realm: Maethodoron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 12:16:10 am »
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and websites.

Maximus,
first is there a way i could talk to you about the armor besides this forum? so we dont have to keep posting back and forth? And which measurements do you need besides my chest and shoulders? Im gonna have a friend measure and Ill get them to you so maybe you would be able to give me a rough estimate. Based on the type of armor i wanted if you do the custom thing. And it might be a UPS shipping thing if we can do that, cause other than that, i would have to wait till Gates of Fire to see you. If you are going to Gates. Unfortunately i dont make it out towards Taurendor or eastern PA. dont really have any time for the trips. Hope you can get back to me. If you have AIM you can IM me anytime. My screen name is izadsunrifter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 23 queries.