Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: killing legged fighters  (Read 2522 times)

working on it

•  
    • View Profile
killing legged fighters
« on: December 27, 2009, 02:46:52 pm »
legging opponents is not difficult i find it much more difficult to kill fighters once they have been legged any advice?

Mikhail

•  
  • Realm: Tir na Nog
  • Unit: Hatred, Inc.
  • Dimachaerus
    • View Profile
Re: killing legged fighters
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 02:52:57 pm »
Have you seen Magnus' tutorial vids on YouTube?  Here's the ground fighting video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZirkxoMDxK0&feature=PlayList&p=BA207BE95DDC2846&index=11

Might be worth it to watch all his stuff, especially if you're a relatively new fighter.

Mikhail spelled it out perfectly.

Also known as Monk.

Kendall

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 02:56:40 pm »
Protect your legs, take your time, you should have every advantage as far as footwork goes.

any suggestions to knock people to the ground should be tempered by safty first.

If sword and board is algebra, then single blue is your multiplication tables. Sure you could start doing equations without being good at multiplication, but it's not likely to work out quite as well.

Disirregardlessly hivemind

•  
  • Realm: Winterfell
  • Unit: The Cairnhold Legion
  • Winterfell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 03:49:48 pm »
Easiest for me to either leave them, or kick them over.

Primarch Ser Hivemind Saligia of The Cairnhold Legion, Winterfell: A drinking unit with a fighting problem.
Ragnarok XXVI Arts & Sciences Competition Winner: Armor & Miscellaneous
Ragnarok Head Leather Armor Checker since Rag XXVII
Proud member of the Dagorhir Kyriarchy!

Korac

•  
  • Realm: Aratari
  • Unit: Death Squad
  • More bearded axe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 05:05:12 pm »
Leave them for a glaive user to kill or carry a glaive.

If I run up on a solo legged shield user with my glaive, Ill give them a moment to forfeit usually before beating the **** out of them.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 05:48:18 pm by Korac »

Put me back in the womb and abort me.

Alric

• Administrator
  •  
  • Realm: Angaron
  • Unit: Drentha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 10:45:19 pm »
Kick them over. Or fake a kick - most people flinch when you look like you're going to kick them, and you can often take advantage of that.

Seris

•  
  • Realm: Lothlorien
  • Unit: Outcast Souls
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 06:55:13 am »
Kick them over. Or fake a kick - most people flinch when you look like you're going to kick them, and you can often take advantage of that.

This is what everyone always suggested to me.  Though sometimes you'll find those people that are just a pain to kill once they get legged.  Just leave them to someone else if you can.  We have one in our realm that once legged, I have yet to kill him.  Guess I'll make myself a glaive and see how that works.

All men are slaves to something, whether love or hate, peace or war.  All men bow to something.

Exiled Lord of the Outcast Souls.

Commissar Dudley S. Thunder, Master of Earth-Realm.

•  
  • Realm: Holy Terra and His Emperor's Vast Domain.
  • Unit: Wolfpack of America, for America, by America.
  • Life is the currency of the Emperor.Spend it well.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 10:35:39 am »

Two people.

That is how to effectively eliminate all legged fighter with minimal lose.

Dudley of Wolf Pack.
Master of Ceremonies.
Space Knight in Good Standing.

Luink

•  
  • Realm: Einherjar
  • Unit: Khatovar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 12:31:44 pm »
A shield check sometimes does the trick and will expose their shoulder if done right.

Just want to say, though. If you leg somobody during a field battle, you should leave them (As the others above pointed out). (Leg 'em n Leave 'em) You don't want to risk losing one of your own limbs during the battle. Make yourself useful and go leg more people.

Of course, one on one, you'll have to finish it. Like Kendall said, take your time.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 12:33:32 pm by Luink »

The Kyulick Clan
Praise the War Machine
Squire to Syr Willem Royberte Glyndwr

Arrakis

•  
  • Realm: Anvard
  • No gimmicks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 09:46:59 pm »
Hit 'em in the other leg before they get to their knees. 

Dedric Aristata

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 10:04:20 pm »

I have to say I don't think actually kicking them over is safe at all. If they know how to roll with it, they'll be fine, but I've seen even seasoned fighters go over on their back with their feet under them... which isn't fun at all, and can easily result in a broken ankle.

I guess if it's someone you know is up for it, do it. If it's someone with both legs down, or who you think you're going to hurt, DON'T. Also, if you do decide to kick them over, don't do it if their mouth's behind their shield. This is one of those things that's legal, but has a rate of injury that's just way too high.

Quote from: Blackhawk the Apollyon
All hail Dedric... the most awesomest fighter ever to grow an epic beard!!!

Freedom of discussion, unaided by power, is sufficient for ... truth. It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. - Jefferson

Mikhail

•  
  • Realm: Tir na Nog
  • Unit: Hatred, Inc.
  • Dimachaerus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 10:19:47 pm »
I shield-kick legged dudes a lot, but you don't need to do anything like kick them over for it to be effective.  Just drag your foot laterally across their shield to knock it sideways.  I've had success with this, even against strap shields.

Mikhail spelled it out perfectly.

Also known as Monk.

Disirregardlessly hivemind

•  
  • Realm: Winterfell
  • Unit: The Cairnhold Legion
  • Winterfell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 10:25:20 pm »
I have to say I don't think actually kicking them over is safe at all.

I'm pretty sure this got discussed to death already in the Rules forum, but it's completely within the rules to kick them over. If they have a problem with getting kicked over, or don't know how to fight on a knee properly (not on both knees) then I think they should go die instead of trying to fight on their knees.

Primarch Ser Hivemind Saligia of The Cairnhold Legion, Winterfell: A drinking unit with a fighting problem.
Ragnarok XXVI Arts & Sciences Competition Winner: Armor & Miscellaneous
Ragnarok Head Leather Armor Checker since Rag XXVII
Proud member of the Dagorhir Kyriarchy!

Korac

•  
  • Unit: Death Squad
  • More bearded axe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 12:35:14 am »
Just be ready for them to lunge after the first red you put on their shield.

Kicking/bashing isnt so wise in my book.  Experienced people are good at sniping feet coming towards their shield.  Too much risk involved in this move.  Its also mean.

I like a slow push/bump in line fights to unbalance legged people if I have  to knock somebody over. 

If you are solo and cant grab a glaive, just keep making the legged guy move.  Use your maximum range.  Put your back to the sun and stand up a hill if you can.  Flails are really nice for sniping the shoulders of legged people.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 04:24:54 am by Korac »

Put me back in the womb and abort me.

Rhurick Holderheck The Laughing Hero

•  
  • Realm: The Nine Borithn
  • Unit: Raurock
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 01:05:08 am »
ya a lot of times the longer u take the less patient or more desperate the legged person becomes, be careful and wait eventually some newer fighters will get the great idea to lunge and attempt to equal the ground or stab the torso then just back up and smack the arm or back,

granted this is something that doesn't happen as often around more skilled fighters, but still being slow and careful waiting for them to screw up is a good bet

He's twitching because he's got my Axe embedded in his nervous system. - Gimli.         And my Axe - Gimli.

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu

puria.bestia

•  
  • Realm: Rivendell
  • Unit: The Kyulicks
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 01:26:53 am »
Your range is much greater than your opponents in this situation. Use it.
Learn to snipe shoulders, it helps tremendously as well.

The ZAO Beast
Leader of the Kyulick Klan
Division of the War Machine
[omnia.aut.nihil]

Olos

•  
  • Realm: Esgaroth (St. Louis Area)
  • Unit: Black Company
  • Contact me at Esgaroth@dagorhir.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 09:32:06 am »
Yeah, sniping shoulders works.

Also, getting just inside their range and baiting a shot and returning.

And really, if they have both legs down, hit them in one of them.  Teach your fighters to get that live leg out behind them by abusing it every time they get legged until they do.

Oh internet, how I love thee.
The only place ever that a Black Company man can be the most rational, reasonable person in the room.

Dedric Aristata

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 11:22:58 am »
I'm surprised no one mentioned the walkthrough. Safe, quick, and effective.

Freedom of discussion, unaided by power, is sufficient for ... truth. It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. - Jefferson

Olos

•  
  • Realm: Esgaroth (St. Louis Area)
  • Unit: Black Company
  • Contact me at Esgaroth@dagorhir.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 11:27:15 am »

Hrm?

Oh internet, how I love thee.
The only place ever that a Black Company man can be the most rational, reasonable person in the room.

Guntar von Keitz

•  
  • Unit: Vardrotta
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2009, 12:33:13 pm »
If you cannot get some help (any help will go a long way), the most obvious thing to do is get a decent length red/green like a glaive.  Destroy the shield and take them out when dropping the shield with a hard mid-line thrust.  If the don't drop it fast enough, the next hit to their shield takes their arm out, etc.  Avoid the lunge and headshots and it should be a snap.

If I am fighting sword and board against a legged sword and board, I tend to go full defensive with sword covering my right side to post-block and encroach until I'm standing over them and they are arched way back.  I then throw a carefully guarded deep wrap or two and keep pressing until the lose their balance and fall over.  Then you hit whatever is open.

GvK
(aka Güntar of the Vardrotta)

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 01:17:07 pm »

???? enlighten us

He's twitching because he's got my Axe embedded in his nervous system. - Gimli.         And my Axe - Gimli.

Varadin

•  
  • Realm: Pentwyvern
  • Unit: EBF
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2009, 01:27:05 pm »
Best strategy for leg fighters is to put your crouch on there face. No one wants that. They will fall over and you hit them in their legs.

70% of the time it works Every time

Arguing with a herald is like wrestling with a pig. First you get really dirty and muddy, and then, after a while, you begin to realize the pig is enjoying himself.

King Varadin McButterpants
Elite Blood Falcon

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2009, 01:30:49 pm »
Best strategy for leg fighters is to put your crouch on there face. No one wants that. They will fall over and you hit them in their legs.

70% of the time it works Every time

more often than not when i move up on a legged fighter i lose a leg before killing them,

Varadin

•  
  • Realm: Pentwyvern
  • Unit: EBF
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 01:46:41 pm »
block?

when closing you need to have a solid defense. Just close dont attack while closing. If your defense is good you should be fine. That or feint sword side on them to keep there sword tied up when you close.

Arguing with a herald is like wrestling with a pig. First you get really dirty and muddy, and then, after a while, you begin to realize the pig is enjoying himself.

King Varadin McButterpants
Elite Blood Falcon

Alric

• Administrator
  •  
  • Realm: Angaron
  • Unit: Drentha
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 02:34:07 pm »
I have to say I don't think actually kicking them over is safe at all. If they know how to roll with it, they'll be fine...

Everyone should know (and new people should be taught) how to go down on a knee without putting themselves into a situation where their ankle will be broken if they get rolled over. It happens all the time and it's legal, and if you don't know how to stay safe, you should learn.

Sure, if I see someone bracing his shield on his chin I won't kick him, but to a large degree we're each responsible for our own stupidity, not the stupidity of other people. So if I see someone doing something dumb I won't do something I know will hurt him, but he should really be looking out for his own legs when he takes a knee.

Also, the people who take both knees are doing it specifically so they can be knocked over without twisting an ankle. Though like Olos said, it's easier to just snipe one of their knees.

Dedric Aristata

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 03:43:26 pm »
Everything you said is 100% true Alric. However, as much as we are each responsible for our own safety and fun, I believe that we are as much responsible for the safety and fun of our opponents. So moves that have a high ratio of injury, compared to other options, should be avoided in most circumstances.

With one leg out, a legged fighter can twist an ankle. With both legs down, a legged fighter can roll over backwards, digging his boots into his back and possibly causing injury to his ankles and knees. Not to mention there's the fact that a lot of people seem to just think it's perfectly cool to boot someone in the teeth, or have that level or horrendously bad aim.

That said, feel free to shield-kick me when I'm legged. I talk enough crap, and have fought long enough and had enough experience that if I don't know what to do, I deserve to get twisted up. Just don't kick me in the face, or I'll head-butt you in the balls, or... something...

As far as walkthroughs go, I'm probably not the best person to describe them, but I'll do my best. The point is simply to walk through the opponents as if they are not there. This is highly effective both in line fighting (as a group), and against legged fighters. Then you hit what's open, usually shoulder/chest or arm. When you get to the fighter, pin their shield with your foot, or kick it out with your shield. At this point they're pretty much at your mercy. The key is to stay active and aggressive, moving forward consistently without moving wildly. It keeps the legged fighter on the defensive and limits their mobility, which is key.

Sir Croix Steiner

•  
  • Realm: Fauldenfell
  • Unit: Knights of the Great Old Ones
  • 'Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 12:09:11 pm »
What I do is change my stance.  I put my attack foot forward and pivot around it.  When I step into the legged fighter I plant my shield foot between their legs and block their shot with my shield, then I bring the other leg around opening up their shield and pinning both arms, rendering them virtually helpless.  Then I rap shot them in the back.  Works about 90% of the time.

'Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!'

Wraithraven

•  
  • Unit: Uruk-Hai
  • The Little Uruk-Hai That Could!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2010, 01:56:30 pm »
I cirlce them to tire them a little and fake a rush, then mid side step I shield bash them, side step again and strike for back.

Wraithraven
Uruk'Hai - http://orkbowling.com/
"Blood is constant.  Every drop I drink, someone must bleed."
"Eternal life brings eternal hunger."

Izad

•  
  • Realm: Maethodoron
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 11:08:19 pm »
i step toward them and shove my shield against their weapon arm so they have nothing to swing at and wrap the back. step forward carefully though. protect your own legs at the same time. watch for their down-swing

if they do get a swing in on your way in, try to use your shield to push their sword down towards the ground. foot-on-ground, doesnt count.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 11:12:00 pm by Izad »

Commissar Dudley S. Thunder, Master of Earth-Realm.

•  
  • Realm: Holy Terra and His Emperor's Vast Domain.
  • Unit: Wolfpack of America, for America, by America.
  • Life is the currency of the Emperor.Spend it well.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 12:34:04 am »
Arise Chicken

Dudley of Wolf Pack.
Master of Ceremonies.
Space Knight in Good Standing.

Tiberius Petronius Scipio

•  
  • Unit: Rome
  • ALWAYS ANGRY ALL THE TIME!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 09:26:25 pm »
I'm a bitch to kill once im legged.

"I' SO FLORIDIAN I PISS ORANGE JUICE"
And you are going to be sorely disappointed when Tiberius stomps you

Dane

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 09:59:49 pm »
I'm a bitch to kill once im legged.
I bet not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 24 queries.