Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do you Do Dagorhir.  (Read 3585 times)

peanutbutter

•  
  • Realm: albion
  • Unit: Iron wolves
    • View Profile
Why do you Do Dagorhir.
« on: January 04, 2011, 07:37:01 pm »
Its pretty easy question to answer But how did you get into dagorhir? For me it was watching youtube and just stumbling across badons hill wall charging madness and after that one thought this is for me and i started searching.

Cassius

• Vagabond
  •  
  • Unit: Ludum Gladiatorium
  • Sexutor
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you Do Dagorhir.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 07:48:25 pm »
I had an ex girlfriend who got me into it.  That is as far as I am going into that story, anyone who needs to know more details then that already does.

Elda Batriani

•  
  • Realm: [No Realm]
  • Unit: Order of Gray
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 07:54:56 pm »
I got into Dagorhir from watching Wreakreation Nation.  My dad was like "You could do this." I fell in love near instantly.  I had looked up some tutorials (from a different group altogether), and made some very poor quality boffers.  Me and my friends pretty much fooled around and thought we were cool.  I eventually learned that it's much better to use Bluefoam and PVC than Poolnoodles with broomsticks.

Now I have pretty average to mediocre boffers and am trying to get my little local group back together.

Zarth Gleskin (green crusader)

•  
  • Realm: The Southern Marshes
  • Unit: The Vanguard
  • I FEEL PRETTY! OH SO PRETTY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 07:55:43 pm »
The way me and my friends got into it was very weird. We were playing Airsoft and then we started thinking, hey this would be cool with swords and stuff. We created Airhack! Pretty much airsoft but with nerf swords. We started looking up stuff on the internet and found Dagorhir! Sadly i am the only one that moved from airhack to Dagorhir. Nobody wanted to play so i started doing research on local chapters and then i found Fauldenfell. I've been playing dag since last august now and i don't think i am going to quit anytime soon

Never answers to Sir Gleskin.

I AM NOT A KNIGHT!

Rainen

•  
  • Realm: Fourth Age of Middle Earth
  • Unit: Rangers of Ithilien
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:19:50 pm »
It's my family's 'business'.

Please, don't call me "Doc".

Grey Wolfcaller

•  
  • Realm: Mirkwood
  • Unit: Blood Horde
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 12:33:01 pm »
Ginsu pestered me until I gave in.

Grey Wolfcaller, Magi of the Blood Horde, Baron of Mirkwood, Vertha Clanmaster, Grand High Homo of Dagorhir

"You think you scare me? Please, I flirt with Oger for fun."

Whisper Moonson

• That old guy who smiles brightly while smiting.
  • Global Moderator
  •  
  • Realm: Empire of Illudar
  • Unit: Guilder Brute Squad (a subsidiary of The Guard)
  • ...turning kebabs with an air of righteousness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 02:13:12 pm »
A friend in my high school wargaming club told me about Dagorhir. It sounded kind of cool, but I didn't follow up. A few weeks later, being in the pipe band and also being a general fan of early music, I went to the MD RennFest to see my piping instructor play and maybe catch some lute music. Down on the lower meadow, I saw a demo battle between two large (probably a dozen per side) groups of people with foam weapons. The weapons looked goofy, but the action and the people looked really cool. Then my friend from the gaming club walked up and invited me over to meet some of them. I got to try it out, and I met some super cool people who are now among my oldest friends.

I came back the next weekend with garb, weapons, and a sleeping bag. That was a few months over 31 years ago.

Sgt. Whisper Moonson
Outsourcing Manager for the Guilder Brute Squad - "Magnum malum viri!"
Trollers Union Local #801, home of the cuddly drop bears - Grammar Thug Who Can't Be Bothered
Still wondering where the king took the palace.

Roadh Rojo

•  
  • Realm: Alterra
  • Unit: Vash Na Kelekona
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 02:15:32 pm »
A couple of friends from college got me into it.
I am now dating one of them, and close friends with the other =P

Half catfolk Dragon Lord of the Konas

Stellaria

•  
  • Unit: Free Cities
  • Does NOT sew for hire. Sorry, folks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 02:35:32 pm »
My son did a small-time LARP with some local kids, and one summer the brothers who ran the LARP went to Rag. Got totally schooled, had a blast, came home, and said "Hey, we're playing Dagorhir from now on.
That next winter, I was asked by some of the kids to be their ride/chaperone to Rag that year. Looked into it, read the handbook and MOA, made myself a sword, axe, and some garb, and went to my first practice. Had a blast and never looked back.

Surprisingly enough, this Feb. will mark the end of only my 3rd year.

Stell
Dagorhir is too big for special snowflakes. A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine. You aren't special. Follow the damn rules.

Jack Stewart III

•  
  • Realm: Anvard (Northern)
  • Unit: Green Hilted Swords
  • Lv.1 Battering-Ram, W/ +3 to Brian-Damage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 05:05:48 am »
I started seriously sword training about a dozen years ago with wooden wasters. From there, I founded a group of people who also wanted to fight with wooden weapons. Three scoring (rule) sets and ten years later, and I found myself wanting to fight more than just the same dozen people. So, after stumbling around the interwebs, I found Dagorhir and decided to hoof it five-hundred miles, over eleven hours, to a winter battle in PA. Fell for it and here I am, a few regional events and a realm later.

First Order of the Frostborne, Lieutenant du Roi of the Green Hilted Swords and Heir to the House of Stewart.

Royalty should lead by example in a time of plight, inspire confidence in a time of doubt, and give hope in a time of despair.

Batu

•  
  • Realm: Mittelmarch
  • Unit: The Defenders of the Land
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 12:54:34 pm »
Some people started fighting with boffer swords on campus. Some Dragoons said, this is just like what we do back home. A brief weapon building tutorial and a constitution later, Dagorhir was a campus sponsored group

I ended up loving it. I do Dag because I feel like I'm the hero in an action movie. Weaving tales of conquest and tragedy with my fellow fighters. And I get to build things the way I want to, sew the clothes I want to wear.

Brogg LeathaFlesh

•  
  • Realm: Maethodoron
  • Unit: Urk Kuldar
  • Rapez Dat Puppy!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 01:08:32 pm »
I found the site when i was surfing the interwebs when i was about thirteen, I looked into it, but never got to far into it. Then right before i turned 16 my friend Marcus "King Size" told me he was going to a practice, my return statement was "you actually remembered that site?" We went to the practice, i got owned to the utmost extent and loved it with all of my heart. I have now made it through my second year, and i'll hopefully make it through many many more.

Greek God of Urk Kuldar.
Leader of the Krak 'Eads Mob.

Haters ganna hate, your opinion is irrelevant.

Soo Ma Tai

•  
  • Realm: In the West
  • Unit: Uruk-Hai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 06:37:29 pm »
I moved to Nashville in the 90's and a friend I played V:TM with was like "wanna play dagger here" and I said "what the eff are you talkin about dood?" He explained some more and I thought, sound totally lame ass, but I'll give it a try. Went out my first time to a field of 40+ and hated it. Got stabbed in the back constantly, etc. After some talking etc. and some convincing, I wen back and had a blast. That was 1994 and i have been hooked ever since.

The Orc Named Soo
Trollers Union, Local #665, SooMaTai-Neighbor of the Beast.

Sveinn Shieldsbane

•  
  • Realm: NWI
  • Unit: The Knights of Chaos
  • Warmaster of The Knights of Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 06:44:53 pm »
It was our local gaming convention Gallowscon in 2008. Sanjuro of Aethenu was there selling weapons. I bought a giant hammer. I went to a practice, and found out how physical and fun this game could be. I got a set of normal weapons, and it has been wonderful ever since. I do it to better myself, to keep the area's Dagorhir community alive, and to help get myself back in shape.
I have found that this game is home to some of the best people in the world. And I absolutely love the idea of traveling and testing my skill against other fights to see where I need to improve.

Join the ranks of chaos.
The Knights of Chaos

Nox

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 03:10:32 am »
It's good exercise and I like the chance to use garb that is otherwise limited to seasonal events. Some of the people aren't too bad either . . .

Nox Vera, Valkyrie

Dralcos Singol, The Swamp King

•  
  • Realm: likely to start my own after a couple years of doing this
  • Unit: Dreadmire Forest (unofficial)
  • "Wait . . . did that shrub just move?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 06:53:56 pm »
I like how easy it is to speak with people like me in a setting that just feels so much more positive than the rest of this mundane level of living that i enjoyed every minute i was at badon and the future events to come.

The fighting always gives me a rush because you never know who you will be pitted against, it could be a ranger, a demon, or a elf. you never know and that element of battle and creativity gives me such a boost i could go for hours and hours on end in one steady battle, just from the positive and fun feeling i get when fighting.

there were quieter moments but with so much going on i couldn't resist joining in and found i had a good time, even at night the drunken stuper of my comrades in arms made the entertainment all that much more entertaining lol

also my 'jute suit' is well appreciated for it's character creativity, originality, and it's playability on the field and i like having my ideas truly appreciated by others around me, and veiwing others ideas as well (the uruk-hai i saw at badon were well thought out )

BESERKER--If it moves, hit it!--If it doesn't move, push it over, then hit it!--If niether of these work, it is probably a tree.
"No other way to be an ace, than long range or IN YOUR FACE!!" ~ Dralcos Singol

Outhro

•  
  • Unit: Black Corsairs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 07:19:56 pm »
Knew about another fighting back when I was 13 and not allowed to join, 5yrs ago I saw a flier and joined.

Bryn

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 08:14:53 pm »
I was running a D&D campaign at the local library when Zag approached me and asked if I wanted to start a Dagorhir unit. After his explanation and my reading of the MOA, I agreed.

Scoth...

•  
  • Realm: War Machine
  • Unit: Senegals Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 04:18:13 am »
My best friend got me into it and now really its the fighting and the friends I love the most. zi guess I'm a big stick jock at heart

Bahli Padma

•  
  • Realm: Outlanders & Mirkwood
  • Unit: House Padma
  • Mzil vlos, uss fuma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 09:38:29 pm »
I play Dagorhir because it's fun.

I got here because my friend from martial arts convinced me to go, and I loved it. Eleven years later, more friends play than don't, I like brainstorming garb more than shopping for shoes, my household is prolific and wild, and nothing says "I'm home" more than the smell of woodsmoke and the thud of cloth-covered foam meeting flesh.

May your journey be as fulfilling and diverse.  ;D

Bahli Padma
Outlander
Swordbrother to Kensman Ilariia
Greatlakes Coordinator (Michigan), Mirkwoodian Empire

Sir Magnus of Narnia

•  
  • Realm: Tartarus Invictus
  • Unit: Narnia
  • For Narnia! For Aslan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 02:34:41 am »
I'll leave off the 15 years leading up to this part of the story.....

(Narrated by Morgan Freeman)

So I was living in Rome NY. One of my side projects in life is visiting other LARP style games so I did some searching in local areas and came across the web site for Dagorhir, Tartarus Invictus, in Buffalo. Now a friend of mine had gone to RAG like the year before and came back reporting that it was pretty lame, but I figured hey, try it and decide for myself. I gave Alistair of Rome a call and talked to him about visiting. I remember I was sitting in my Game Store. We joked about me living in Rome, and I arranged to visit at some point in the future.

Oddly enough my ten year contract with the government ended with short notice like a week later and I moved to Buffalo shortly after (I grew up in Rochester, and was dating a venomous harpy from Buffalo at the time), so I figured it was a good spot to move to). Move in with Hal of Narnia (Now head of Winterfell), and went off to a Dagorhir practice. Not going to lie, ias pretty lame. Alistair was like the only person there who could grow a beard. I could not get my friends to join because, well it was a bit lame, and I almost quit one weekend because I fell over on a kid (who I think was like four years old) and crushed him. He cried....

So anyway, Alistair was such a nice guy, and enjoyed the hobby a lot, and the mix made me stick around. Soon after some of my friends decided it was not as lame as they thought and joined as well.

Many years later a lot of the rampaging 4 year olds grew up into some really good fighters (but not as good as me), and we are still having a good time.

I still like to make kids cry from time to time.

Sir Magnus of Narnia

Nothing beats a friend like a rubber sword. First rule, don't talk about Rondel Club.

Relka

•  
  • Realm: Talinor
  • Unit: Orchard Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 05:33:27 am »
Why I do it? It's fun, it's good exersize, and I like role playing/character acting and writing characters (though I'm just starting on the basics, so haven't done any real role playing yet). I'm both a D&D nerd and did some acting in a little drama group.

Why I started? I moved into a new area a few days ago, and my brother in law mentioned the group. I was interested and I've been going to the meetings for the last two weeks now, and I plan on keep coming back.

Cassin

•  
  • Realm: Anvard
  • Unit: the Dragonsworn
  • Hopefully last name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 11:48:26 am »
I first discovered boffers at a science fiction convention in Boston (Arisia).  I didn't get too much into it, but saw it here and there because my father takes me to congregations of weird people every once in a while.  Then I went to an anime con where they had an event called "open boff."  I messed around there for a while and after that, decided to make my own.  My first ones sucked and I still feel bad about blasting my friend in the balls with one, but my techniques made a slow and steady progression until I discovered Dag a little more than a year ago.  I do Dagorhir because it's a level of badass I never expected to find in foam fighting, plus it lets me build stuff.

Before you pick a name, say it out loud, have a friend say it out loud, have an acquaintance try to pronounce it from print, and have a sibling try to make fun of it.

Milo Baines

•  
  • Unit: Guild Alchemica (Suicide Kings)
  • "By art, or by strength."
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 12:21:31 pm »
for the women...and the drinking...and the fighting...not neccesarily in that order... ;)

honest answer...my mom saw the wreckreation nation spot and clued me in...it wasn't a hard sell... ;D

"Just glue some gears on it and call it Steampunk."

F.G., Legio Promethean
Backwater Brawler-New Braunfels, TX

Brogg LeathaFlesh

•  
  • Rapez Dat Puppy!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 02:06:15 pm »
for the women...and the drinking...and the fighting...not neccesarily in that order... ;)

honest answer...my mom saw the wreckreation nation spot and clued me in...it wasn't a hard sell... ;D

Milo is only a two year? Never realized this.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 02:28:23 pm by Brogg LeathaFlesh »

Greek God of Urk Kuldar.

Squire Lizard

•  
  • Realm: Moria
  • Unit: Army of Mordor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2011, 06:24:38 pm »
I do this because I love the feel of adreneline when I get into a good combat. That just means I am always looking for better combat.
The friends I met along the way, the skills I have learned, the experiences that I would never have had otherwise are all just icing on the cake of ultimate awesomeness.
Plus I met my fiance doing it... never saw that one coming.

Heralds aren't there to interpret the rules, they're there to enforce them.
Gu kibum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha-gum-ishi ashi gurum.  "No life in coldness, in darkness. Here in void, only death."

Milo Baines

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 07:07:21 pm »

is that a good thing?

F.G., Legio Promethean

Hiram the Incredible

• Administrator
  •  
  • Realm: Aratari
  • Unit: Eleytheria, Dragon Claw, House Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 07:09:27 pm »
It's Laithe and Brother Henry's fault I am here.

Malice The almost Banned

•  
  • Unit: Eleytheria
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2011, 08:20:10 pm »
Its Laithe, Brother Henry, and Hiram's(known as wrath back then) fault that im here.

Sir Malice
  Champion of the Blackrock

Malice@Dagorhir.com

Brogg LeathaFlesh

•  
  • Rapez Dat Puppy!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 09:55:31 pm »

is that a good thing?

Meh, it's a fun fact I guess, it seems unexpected since I thought you had a few years on me. I mean that as a complement.

Greek God of Urk Kuldar.

Øsric

•  
  • Unit: Ryfelwyr
  • Deus vult
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2011, 06:05:05 am »
Just like several other people said on here, i first saw it on Wreakreation nation.
it was in a commercial and i thought it was the coolest thing there was, for my mind is stuck in the medieval age.
i searched it up and got somethings going in my neighborhood, i found a real practice and then really got involved.

The real reason i fight Dag is because it one of the Great ways to recreate battles, and not actually die

"you go with the Army?"
"yes"
"it is certain death"
"all death is certain my friend"

Spiderling

•  
  • Realm: Osgiliath
  • Unit: Cult of Ungoliant
  • All hail the war squirrel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2011, 06:12:15 am »
A coworker of mine who went occasionally mentioned it to me after finding out I'm into martial arts.  Had my first ever practice with like four other people in a bunch of super-wet snow and had an absolute blast.

Spiderling, Unsafety Committee Chairmonster, Trollers Local 9473, Chapter of the War Squirrels. [On Strike]

The opinions expressed in this post do not necessarily represent those of anyone with any common sense whatsoever.

Ulrich

•  
  • Realm: Dunland
  • Unit: Pathfinders
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2011, 09:36:58 am »
Back my sophomore year of high school, the paper ran an article about Dagorhir.  I remember that it looked pretty sweet so that weekend I drove to the practice in the next town to see what it was all about, but that was the weekend of an event and no one was there.  It wasn't until my senior year of high school that I found out about the local practice and I have been playing since (save for winter because it is cold).

Not all who wander are lost.

The Badger

•  
  • Realm: Dragonreach
  • Unit: Da Iron Clawz!
  • Nicotine and Hate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2011, 01:35:03 pm »
I love it cuz i get to legally beat people with a stick.... even if it is foam covered. great stress releiver.

Barbarism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is but a whim of circumstance and barbarism must ultimately triumph

Draeven DuRauhl

•  
  • Realm: Novi Antiqi
  • Unit: Death Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 06:52:16 pm »
How I started Dagorhir.

Well, around 2002 during my freshman year of college a mutual buddy (and now my second-in-command) and I heard about live action role playing from some of my ren faire actor compatriots. I do SCA fighting and was just really getting into it at the time when my bud and i decided to Look into more LARPS. Both of us were into D&D and other table-top D20's so we figured we're athletic as ****, lets give this a shot. He stumbled upon the Narnia page thinking it was a LARP. I did some research and found out they were a part of Dag. We ended up doing conventional larps for a couple of years. I personally kept doing sword tournaments, studying bujitsu and ninjitsu, and doing SCA heavylist fighting and fencing. Then around Gates of fire 3 we decided to actually show up and give it a shot. We followed online tutorials, and with the help of Novi Antiqui made it to our first gates. We had the honor of meeting some great people and fighting alongside Rome. I will never forget a huge compliment given to us by Dominus of Rome he stated, "You're the Death Dealers? You boys are hell on wheels!" We've never looked back since then and eagerly await Gates of Fire THIS year!

Sir Draeven Durauhl - Senior Knight of the Death Dealer Coven

Hiram the Incredible

• Administrator
  •  
  • Unit: Eleytheria, Dragon Claw, House Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2011, 07:48:56 pm »
I do Dagorhir because i don't accept cheap imitations.

my eyes are F&%^ing bleeding.

GRrrrr.

Man Heo

•  
  • Realm: The High Spires
  • Unit: Demon Hunters
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 08:04:33 pm »
My cousin got me into it and I was 12 at the time so 6 years ago

i am General Heo fear me!

Onabir

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 10:11:18 pm »
So my incredibly cool friend (at the time) went away to college. I was saddened without him, cause I'm lame and don't have a life outside of when we hang out. He stuck it out for a year and then came back home. College just wasn't for him. But then he kept trying to tell me about this awesome thing he and his new bestest best friend did all the time: beating one another with foam boffers.
Maybe a little jealous, I ignored it and we got absorbed in the hookah bar lifestyle. But hookah only served to remind him of the great times he and this guy had smoking hookah and fighting. I finally broke down after seven months, let him take me to Home Depot and Walmart and spent the evening building giant floppy "swords".
Mind you, I had never actually looked at any of the links he sent me, or listened to the principles behind building even while we were building. I had no idea how they were supposed to turn out, so the square penis-like (cause we covered them in nude colored stockings) boffers still looked like square penis-like boffers to me. I felt ridiculous the first time we fought because:
A: It was February.
B: It was snowing like a bitch drinking out of cups.
C: I was about to beat up the guy I loved with a giant square penis-like boffer. By this time, I had broken him down and made him agree to be my boyfriend.
And it was the most fun I'd ever had. We were outside every night after work, fighting on the street in front of my house (cause I don't have a yard in winter) having a grand ol' time smacking each other in the gut interspersed with new-found "I lurrrrve you!"'s.
A few months later, I was finally aware that other people did this. So he and his reunited friend took me to practice in Schenley Park with the fearsome Spartans and another handful of Rag-tagged veterans from Angaron. I was absolutely scared ****less when Purple-Vest-Guy and Lashik charged me in that first battle.
That was almost a year ago, and I can now discern between fine foamsmithing and duct tape quickies, wear something more appropriate than a nightgown without sleeves, and face down any legion with little more than apprehension. ;D

"The more expensive the food is, the more people are willing to eat it off the floor." Ted Allen.

"Fan-fiction: the greatest idea since being original."

Kensii

•  
  • Realm: Fauldenfell
  • Unit: Vanguard
  • I serve the Lord of Lords, Him and Him alone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2011, 10:33:22 pm »
The last two months of my senior year in High School I saw it on WN and was like, "YES." I looked it up and found Guilder. I went to a practice and found the guys were awesome. After they checked my weapons from a previous LARP and failed them I simply picked up their weapons and never looked back. Now I am petitioning to join a unit and am honestly loving it. Of course I am now 4 hours away from DFW but I still fight with friends here in ARkansas and have a blast.

Welcome to one of the best hobbies on earth.

"So, what does the Vanguard do?"
"Smash stuff really hard."
"And?"
"No, that's about it.

Milo Baines

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2011, 09:09:46 am »
Of course I am now 4 hours away from DFW...

quit your bellyaching, so are we... :D

F.G., Legio Promethean

athelas

•  
  • Unit: Indomar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2011, 10:17:09 am »
Dag is yet one more excuse to wear my garb... and I have met some most wonderful people because of Dag.

Camp Mistress, feeding Dagorhirrim since 1999.
The Indo-Haldane, Ginger Overlord and Apollyon Commander
GingerPixie by rote of Illaria.

Drakmor

•  
  • Realm: Winterfell
  • Unit: Mercenary
  • Jumping at zombies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2011, 01:20:48 pm »
I first heard of Dagorhir (and LARPing in general) in Games magazine when I was in fourth grade. I went to Winterfell's first big event, Storm of Swords in 2007, and was hooked. What with the Romans and Narnians in awesome armor and gear, and a few of the guys being willing to teach me how to actually fight, I had an amazing first experience. Now, I still have to talk my parents into bringing me just once in a while  :(, but I'm going to be fighting weekly once I'm 16!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:35:19 pm by Drakmor »

Don't worry about being a douche when you are calling someone out for being a douche.

Kensii

•  
  • Realm: Fauldenfell
  • Unit: Vanguard
  • I serve the Lord of Lords, Him and Him alone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2011, 04:11:29 pm »
Of course I am now 4 hours away from DFW...

quit your bellyaching, so are we... :D

Fair enough, if I ever make it down there to yalls area expect me to raid

"So, what does the Vanguard do?"
"Smash stuff really hard."
"And?"
"No, that's about it.

Kotaro

•  
  • Realm: Wanderer
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2011, 07:55:24 pm »
My first experience with foam-fighting was at GenCon in 200Idon'tremember. There were the Gamer Olympics, and each event corresponded to a D&D ability score. The last event was a "Fight to the Death". I fought the guy (badly), but had so much fun I asked them about it, and they told me about Dagorhir.

The rest is bloody history.

"Go into battle determined to die, and you will survive. Go into battle hoping to live, and surely you shall not."

mathias

•  
  • Unit: Knights Templar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2011, 02:48:24 am »
my real first experience was with a high school friend of mine. he called me one day to ask if i wanted to join in on a practice fight. i had never heard or seen anything like this, so i declined the offer. about a year later, another high school friend of mine told me dagorhir and getting into the specifics of it all. he showed me the wreckreaction nation video and a Rag video, and i was already addicted. i am looking to be in dagorhir as long as i still have such great friends and good times.

†  GOD WILLS IT!!!  †

Vuk

• New User
  • Unit: Apollyons
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2011, 05:20:19 pm »
Well, I was friends with Gix in college... we had a class together and he mentioned that he fought in Dag. Instantly, being the dork I am, I came to Maeth Winter Invasion in 2010. I loved it, have stuck with it since. I played soccer for fourteen years, basketball for eight, ride in rodeo, and swim. None of these ever came close to as much fun as I have in Dag. Or hurt as bad the next morning either!

Solusar

•  
  • Realm: Militia
  • Unit: Div. II
  • GRIND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2011, 03:42:07 pm »
I love it when people ask me this.
Because stabbing a dude in the chest IRL gets you thrown in prison for the rest of your life, not accolades of grandier.

Militia, Division II
Solusar Oma'Ragh, VAZI First Wave Protection
VAZI Grapple Avoidance Specialist
Making it okay to fight Dagorhir, one cross-game event at a time.

Argos

•  
  • Unit: The Guard
  • Stellis Invictus
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2011, 05:28:00 pm »
I was just driving around one Sunday afternoon and happened to see a bunch of people shield rushing each other in a local park. Decided on a whim to turn around and see what was going on. I was martial arts-deprived at the time and Dag scratched the itch, so I decided to stick around. Dag, and the High Spires group in general, was just the mix of athleticism and brute violence that I loved from my martial arts days, without as much bruising or injury. No regrets.

Jorael Cuthlarione

•  
  • Realm: Angaron
  • Unit: Archenland
  • Life is but a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2011, 02:38:05 am »
Dagorhir for me is a spiritual experience. I love being able to step out of all the noise of the world and finally be able to relax as well as fight, drink and laugh with good friends and good people

I am a jack of all trades but a master of none

When you find that you are the best at something become the worst at something else and climb the ladder again this is the way to achieve greatness.

Nikulás

•  
  • Unit: Ulfrung
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2011, 05:28:38 am »
Dagorhir started out as just a fun little hobby just a bit less than 3 years ago that a friend found on the internet. Since then I've turned it into an outlet to keep me level headed. Mundane life can be so stressful and aggravating that sometimes you just need to go hit things. Having a character lets me be exactly who I want to be that modern society just doesn't seem to allow so Nikulas has sort of become the inner me that can't really function in everyday life.

Thegn, Nikulás Kodranson of The Ulfrung
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 24 queries.