Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gi Armor  (Read 1820 times)

The Badger

•  
  • Realm: Dragonreach
  • Unit: Da Iron Clawz!
  • Nicotine and Hate!
    • View Profile
Gi Armor
« on: January 15, 2011, 12:52:57 pm »
Ok so my basic garb is just a regular black karate Gi with a purple kung fu sash for a little extra flare.

Anyone have any suggestions as to Armor or other bits of garb or stuff like that to make my outfit a little more epic?

While I'm not actually a greenskin, i belong to a unit of greenskins. So i was thinkin somethin barbaric, green skinnish or mongolian looking but it really doesnt matter as long as it looks good.

Barbarism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is but a whim of circumstance and barbarism must ultimately triumph

Sir Magnus of Narnia

•  
  • Realm: Tartarus Invictus
  • Unit: Narnia
  • For Narnia! For Aslan!
    • View Profile
Re: Gi Armor
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 12:56:52 pm »
On the garb side, get an actual tunic. A karate Gi with a sash is a bit of a loop hole as far as minimums go. It is certainly unobtrusvie, but a lot of places will look at it as modern clothing. I'm not sure a tunic will make you look anything like a green skin, but it will go a long way to getting the "look" a bit more solid. 

Modify for additional thoughts..

A vest or tabard would also be a good addition to go over the Gi.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 01:03:28 pm by Sir Magnus of Narnia »

Sir Magnus of Narnia

Nothing beats a friend like a rubber sword. First rule, don't talk about Rondel Club.

Kaonna McAvoy

•  
  • Realm: Rivendell
  • In training for Greatness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 01:59:03 pm »

Something like this without the shirt under would probably be good, then look at examples from people in your group for armor ideas and kinda mush them all together till you find something you like.

Women may not always hit harder, but they will hit lower.

Get up, shut up, and get a cup.

Cassius

• Vagabond
  •  
  • Unit: Ludum Gladiatorium
  • Sexutor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 03:25:20 pm »
If you are going for a Mongolian like appearance, you are going to need to burn what you have and rebuild from the ground up.

The Badger

•  
  • Nicotine and Hate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 04:02:13 pm »
I can lose the Gi top if i have to, im pretty well built so theres no flabby man boob to mentaly scar those around me

Barbarism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is but a whim of circumstance and barbarism must ultimately triumph

Kensman Ilariia

•  
  • Realm: Drott of the Silver Ravens
  • Unit: Empire of the Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 04:26:18 pm »
If you are going for a Mongolian like appearance, you are going to need to burn what you have and rebuild from the ground up.

This.

-HRM Kensman Ilariia Bulochnika, called Brenna

First Kensman of the Gullinhrafni
Dronning and Keeper of the Keys of the Empire of the Wolf

Milo Baines

•  
  • Unit: Guild Alchemica (Suicide Kings)
  • "By art, or by strength."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 11:17:26 pm »
when considering your garb you need to ask yourself one crucial questions...if someone sketched me, would it look as cool as this?

"Just glue some gears on it and call it Steampunk."

F.G., Legio Promethean
Backwater Brawler-New Braunfels, TX

Ilsa Starling

•  
  • Realm: Ancient Wharf
  • Unit: Drentha
  • Not an elf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 12:55:00 am »
If you like the idea of the gi with a belt, why not go for a sort of kaftan and sash? It's the same idea-- a top that crosses over in front, a sash for jazz-- but far more badass. You see this look on lots of eastern-inspired characters-- Turks and Mongols and Persians and adapted by far-roaming Vikings.

Once you understand the pattern, these don't look much more difficult than, say, a Bocksten tunic. Definitely worth a look!

One guy's reconstruction of a crossover kaftan

A  pattern for something similar

Earlier period Magyars lookin' pimp.

Squire Lizard

•  
  • Realm: Moria
  • Unit: Army of Mordor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 03:18:17 am »
/facepalm
It's outfits like this that give those who do Japanese and eastern personages a bad image. If I might ask, what is so awesome about this look? It is as basic as a pair of sweatpants and tabard with a t shirt underneath IMO.
Do some research into the culture and I am sure you will find that what you have does not look like what you want, so you would have to follow Cas' advice and just burn it and start over.

OR even better, KEEP it and wear it out to GoS. There you can see what eastern kits should look like and then be made fun of mercilessly and beaten... the last part is not because of how you look but more just for being there :D

EDIT-just wanted to add. Your garb is essentially a students training outfit, and by  using that as a base for garb you are portraying the look and feel of a student. Now while that may be what you are looking for it doesn't really give the visage of a great warrior, ya know? I don't think many great warriors fought in their training duds.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 03:26:18 am by Squire Lizard »

Heralds aren't there to interpret the rules, they're there to enforce them.
Gu kibum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha-gum-ishi ashi gurum.  "No life in coldness, in darkness. Here in void, only death."

Kensman Ilariia

•  
  • Realm: Drott of the Silver Ravens
  • Unit: Empire of the Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 06:40:52 am »
Your first two links are dead, Ilsa.

Red Kaganate is awesome.

-HRM Kensman Ilariia Bulochnika, called Brenna

First Kensman of the Gullinhrafni
Dronning and Keeper of the Keys of the Empire of the Wolf

Kade

•  
  • Realm: Minas Morgul
  • Unit: Uruk-Hai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 07:23:05 am »
If you are looking to go barbaric without scrapping your entire wardrobe...go up to hobby lobby, get yourself a bunch of rabbit skins...and trim the Karate Gi in fur. Get yourself a skullcap helmet and trim it in fur around the rim.

Bottom line, adding fur can take something ordinary and turn it into something barbarian looking. Also add chains, buckles, metal rings, etc etc.

If your going historical, ignore me completely.

Searchable on Book of Faces under the name "Kade's Work Bench"

Judge Dredd

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 09:48:03 am »
when considering your garb you need to ask yourself one crucial questions...if someone sketched me, would it look as cool as this?

Yea, what he said:

Milo Baines

•  
  • Unit: Guild Alchemica (Suicide Kings)
  • "By art, or by strength."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 10:00:09 am »
hehe...baby blackhawk...i remember him... ;D

"Just glue some gears on it and call it Steampunk."

F.G., Legio Promethean
Backwater Brawler-New Braunfels, TX

Ilsa Starling

•  
  • Realm: Ancient Wharf
  • Not an elf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 02:34:51 pm »
Your first two links are dead, Ilsa.

Red Kaganate is awesome.

Bah, I've been having that problem on the site, too. They work intermittently, so a few refreshes should get you there eventually!

The Badger

•  
  • Nicotine and Hate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 08:42:41 pm »

/facepalm
It's outfits like this that give those who do Japanese and eastern personages a bad image. If I might ask, what is so awesome about this look? It is as basic as a pair of sweatpants and tabard with a t shirt underneath IMO.

EDIT-just wanted to add. Your garb is essentially a students training outfit, and by  using that as a base for garb you are portraying the look and feel of a student. Now while that may be what you are looking for it doesn't really give the visage of a great warrior, ya know? I don't think many great warriors fought in their training duds.

It may not look bad ass, but its practical and very cheap seeing as i already owned it lol.

Its not really a students uniform seein as masters wear one to. Whether you look like a student or teacher all depends on the belt color. Personally i dont wear a karate belt with it but instead a I wear a purple sash because not only is black and purple my band's like illsa said, it looks more bad ass than a belt.

If you like the idea of the gi with a belt, why not go for a sort of kaftan and sash? It's the same idea-- a top that crosses over in front, a sash for jazz-- but far more badass. You see this look on lots of eastern-inspired characters-- Turks and Mongols and Persians and adapted by far-roaming Vikings

THe Kaftan and sash i kinda where i got the idea for my gi and sash. :) If i could find them cheap I'd wear the really wide studded leather belt and arm bands the mongolians wore.

Atalan

•  
  • Realm: Eryndor
  • Unit: Fury of the Called
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 09:13:14 pm »
I heard tandy leather is having a sale on belt blanks until the end of the month.

Treasurer, Fury of the Called.
When it comes to (screwing) around, we don't (screw) around.
Hastae petiunt veritatem, veritas est colei.
The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it. - Michaelangelo

Alric

• Administrator
  •  
  • Realm: Angaron
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 10:05:37 pm »
It may not look bad ass, but its practical and very cheap seeing as i already owned it lol.

Its not really a students uniform seein as masters wear one to. Whether you look like a student or teacher all depends on the belt color. Personally i dont wear a karate belt with it but instead a I wear a purple sash because not only is black and purple my band's like illsa said, it looks more bad ass than a belt.

Unfortunately, it's very obviously recognizable as modern martial arts clothing and doesn't look like something you'd find in a medieval fantasy world. That's why you're getting so much flak for it from most of the people responding.

The good news is, a kaftan is very easy to make (see Ilsa's links) if you want to keep that same look without the modern martial arts flair.

Remember that modern clothing can get you in trouble with the heralds:

1.3.1 - A tunic or "medieval period" style shirt, dress, or vest of crotch length or longer. This requirement may be waived only if the rest of the costume (pants, boots, etc.) is of exceptional quality and appearance.

1.4.1 - Forbidden garments include but are not limited to: blue jeans, white shoes, camoflage patterns such as military fatigues, visible T-shirts or other obviously modern clothing, and modern hats.

Seiichirô

•  
  • Unit: Akiyama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 11:16:25 pm »
Think of it this way:
Modern gi as garb is kinda like the Eastern equivalent of passing off rashguard as a gambeson/hosen.

-Akiyama Seiichirô Mitsusada

Sometimes the universe meets your intention
IncidentalPadding

Squire Lizard

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 01:04:01 am »
Alric said it well, but Ichiro said it better than I ever could lol.

It just...isn't. I am an eastern personae as well. Hell I wear Hakama that I had made, a home made Kimono (over and under) along with my tabi boots and a pair of kyahan. It's REAL simple and IMO only a hair over about as simple as should be accepted. The whole thing cost me about $160...$80 for the boots, $45 for the kyahan... See where I am going with this?
I am not being a tool here, do what YOU feel looks and feels right. It is just really hard for me to see a gi and NOT think mcdojo drop out. The gi of today really does not look that much like the training outfits of old. Just sayin.

Gu kibum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha-gum-ishi ashi gurum.  "No life in coldness, in darkness. Here in void, only death."

Timur

•  
  • Realm: Novi Antiqui
  • Unit: Huns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 06:19:17 pm »
Talon,  I’d hold on to that gi.  Yes a gi is a modern garment.  Yes a gi can be recognized for what it is.  Yes you should invest in a good tunic ASAP.  However, a gi is way better than a t shirt or tank top.  A gi under a vest or tabard, as Magnus suggested will work and a gi top on its own has elements and lines that can work well if you dress it up right.

The thing about the gi is that you need to break up that silhouette that makes it instantly recognizable as a karate uniform.  If your gi has long sleeves, you can wrap fabric around the forearms to make the sleeves more form fitting.  Forearm armor such as vambraces or bazubands also work great for this.  If your gi has short sleeves, you can simply wrap your forearms, or armor them.   Lower on the body, you can wrap your lower legs in fabric, or wear greaves.  Then blouse the pants around the knee.  A good belt is a solid idea- I think using your sash around the waist will just enhance the ‘dojo’ look.  You can use your sash as a baldric.  On your feet, you will need to stay away from obvious modern colors and designs or you’ll blow the illusion.

I’ve been there dude.  My first big event was Gates of Fire two years ago and I had to pull out a gi.  Black, short sleeves and worn out as hell and I had to accessorize big time.  (I had garb, but it was all courtly, delicate stuff.  My gi is what I wear instead of a gambeson under my heavy kit)   I did not want be that guy who ruined the youtube video.  From a javelin throw away it was passable but you can bet that at Badon the same year I had a fighting tunic ready. 

You can probably tell by my ‘fix your gi’ list that there is no real shortcut to getting a decent set of garb.  Garb is just one facet of the LARP thing that you have to address.  One way or another, whether you are trying to pimp up something you already own or are starting from period patterns, you have to put effort into your look.  In a way, it shows your fellow players that you care about their Dag experience.  As soon as you can, I’d get a comfortable, rugged fighting tunic.  They’re not expensive and if you have to make one, not too hard to make.  You can keep your gi as a backup or a loaner, or as a set to wear under whatever armor you wind up putting together. 

The Badger

•  
  • Nicotine and Hate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 10:25:47 am »
My gi isnt a standard bleach white (to quote Squire Lizard) "Mcdojo" gi.... its long sleeve and pitch black, im not sure if that matters or makes a difference but i just thought i should throw that out there.

Askarus Space Champion

•  
  • Unit: Sparta
  • RAGNAROK XXVIII SECURITY
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 10:39:50 am »
Show us a pic of you wearing it.

Askarus
King of Sparta/Rockstar
Ragnarok XXVIII Head of Security

Squire Lizard

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 09:37:44 pm »
To be honest, it really doesnt matter if it's black, white, gray, or pink. A gi is a gi and doesn't look like garb. It looks like a modern martial arts uniform.The attitude over these have been covered in this thread and the Japanese personae thread.
If you don't want to change it, fine. But don't expect a lot of ooh's and ahh's or people swwoning over it. Expect to get hassled at garb check in at Rag and large events. You asked a question, got an answer you didn't like, so now you have a decision.

The Badger

•  
  • Nicotine and Hate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 07:52:46 pm »
My standard garb

This is my fall back garb incase my gi top doesnt pass (yes, i know im a fat ass)

Hundrsut

•  
  • Realm: Warclan
  • Unit: Black Dog Clan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 08:16:48 pm »
do the second one.....and as u r in a unit of greenskins u can accesorize the hell out of your upper body....body paint tattoo/scars

honestly from what im seeing it looks not only passing but slightly baller in the second pic

plus remember not fat , Portly Gentleman

We miss people that make sense

Its a rule not a playful suggestion!!!

Wren Rousseau-Baines

•  
  • Realm: The Southlands
  • Unit: Guild Alchemica, Forge Terrus Sur
  • Either find a way...or make one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 08:32:23 pm »

lol, wow, you look like a boxer more than kung fu honestly. Also, you rock the purple my friend. ;)

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.

Kaonna McAvoy

•  
  • Realm: Rivendell
  • In training for Greatness
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 08:35:01 pm »
Second one is better. Sash makes the pants look good enough to pass for garb. Paint yourself, be awesome.

Women may not always hit harder, but they will hit lower.

Get up, shut up, and get a cup.

Daz

•  
  • Realm: Aratari
  • Unit: Eleytheria
  • Chief Justice of the Dagorhir Supreme Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 08:48:19 pm »
Holy crap man, go with the second one! get cold during events? get some furs and make a vest (No Sleeves, no cape) that stops buckling up before the pectorals!

the first makes you look like a novice in the karate kid. the second makes you look like you belong in the world of Conan!

Kensman Daz Magnisson, House Red
Descended from The Giant Magni, Son of the Thunder God Thor and the Giantess Jarnsaxa
Courtesy is owed; respect is earned; love is given
Once is an accident, twice- a coincidence, but three times is enemy action- various people

Hundrsut

•  
  • Realm: Warclan
  • Unit: Black Dog Clan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 08:58:00 pm »
abt this is how the dagorhir forums should work

he asked questions

got answers/hazing

now he shall look much much better

We miss people that make sense

Its a rule not a playful suggestion!!!

Alric

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2011, 09:33:56 pm »
Agreed with everyone else that it looks better without the gi, especially if you painted up to look like an orc while you were at it.

Roadh Rojo

•  
  • Realm: Alterra
  • Unit: Vash Na Kelekona
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2011, 09:40:00 pm »
YES TALON.
Go shirtless, You look like a purple Grork earthbender =P And I approve of this.

Half catfolk Dragon Lord of the Konas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 24 queries.