Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: RWC Rule Proposal  (Read 7622 times)

Skeith, the Forsaken

•  
  • Realm: Lyonesse
  • Unit: Army of Mordor
  • Overlord Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: RWC Rule Proposal
« Reply #150 on: January 28, 2011, 09:23:07 pm »
Well that's your opinion not the rules.  :)

Don't be racist because my kind can't write a sonnet. That was a healing poem passed down from Pukefiend the Boisterous' great grandmother. You should be ashamed for passing off his heritage like it was made up or something.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:26:54 pm by Skeith, the Forsaken »

The real message is, if you want to win at Dagorhir, grow a mustache.
Mautor, Warmaster, and Big Nig

Squire Lizard

•  
  • Realm: Moria
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 28, 2011, 11:16:11 pm »
So now we have rules on what constitutes the 180 syllables?? /facepalm
If it 180 syllables what is the matter? Is what Skieth said REALLY that cheesy in your eyes? If anything it's harder because it is a tongue twister and if he screws up and mumbles or slurs a word... YEAH start over!!
I AM a stick jock who heals, so that idea is thrown out the window BH. My knight comes from a group that requires knights to have a healing poem... He's a stick jock too.

How about in order to heal one CANNOT use anything other than a single blue for the ENTIRETY of the battle. To be a healer you can only use a single blue... Seems simple and fair to me? Also, how we regulate the healing out here so that not ANYONE can heal.
I actually LOVE rocking a single blue/green and going around healing people. In our woods battles, which are once a month in a great spot, we have a game were 6 people have to be hunted by all other fighters on the field. Having a healer there actually makes it a rather interesting game with STRATEGERY!!

Heralds aren't there to interpret the rules, they're there to enforce them.
Gu kibum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha-gum-ishi ashi gurum.  "No life in coldness, in darkness. Here in void, only death."

Oisín Leathshúileach

•  
  • Unit: Fíanna Cú Ruadh
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 28, 2011, 11:23:27 pm »
Actually, tbh, I'm not sure I like the idea of repeating a single line X times either . . . that seems to me to be at least finely walking and possibly breaking the line between something that's cool and interesting and the sort of "fireball fireball fireball fireball fireball" overly larpish things that I don't think any of us want to see in Dag.

I would not under any circumstances suggest or believe that your healing poem needs to be a sonnet or a tongue twister or even poetry at all (a prose prayer of healing, to Melkor or any other god you think might heal for you, or a recitation of medical techniques would be just peachy), but I do find it slightly distasteful to get the vast majority of your required syllable count from repetition of a single line.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 11:29:37 pm by Oisín Leathshúileach »

Oisín Leathshúileach ua Duibhne
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

An Fhírinne in aghaidh an tSaoil--Truth against the world.

It's pronounced uh-SHEEN, like "machine" without the m. Not oy-sin.

stylgar

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2011, 11:31:40 pm »
Read the original Dagorhir Handbook. It had guidelines for what constituted a healing poem and a beautiful sample poem.

Heralds could reject them. Once, one of the realms that left in The Great Hissy-fit had their poems rejected at an event because they were supposed to be for each character but the realm printed out a cookie-cutter poem printed out and taped to the fighters'  shields.  I don't know if it was the cookie-cutter nature or the lack of memorization

Perfidy never prevails
Softer weapons: Harder hits

Skeith, the Forsaken

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2011, 11:41:28 pm »
I don't think I've ever seen a healing spell that wasn't already really larpy. The real life ones work like a miracle in a pinch though!

Oisín Leathshúileach

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2011, 11:51:40 pm »
Real life ones?

And of course it's going to sound somewhat larpy . . . but something that's a coherent work is still going to sound better than something that is obviously nothing BUT a larp spell.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 11:39:54 pm by Whisper Moonson »

Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

Siguric

•  
  • Realm: Bloodpool
  • Unit: Hatred Inc.
  • Remember: It's rape and pillage, THEN burn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2011, 11:53:41 pm »
Pie Jesu Domine. Dona eis requiem. x13.

I'd pass it, if they repeatedly smacked themselves with a weapon.

Bastard of Ceremonies

We Hate So You Don't Have To
- Bloodpool@Dagorhir.com -

Oisín Leathshúileach

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2011, 11:56:50 pm »
That's a prayer for those who are already dead.  :P

I haven't found a suitable line out of Irish mythology yet, but here's the one I got from Finnish epic poetry, modified by omission of some lines and changing others where noted in brackets:

From "The Healing of Wainamoinen"
Kalevala, Runo IX

Crimson streamlet, cease thy flowing
Blood of ages, stop thy coursing
From the veins of [fallen warriors];
Stand like heaven's crystal pillars,
Stand like columns in the ocean,
Stand like birch-trees in the forest,
Like the tall reeds in the marshes,
Like the high-rocks on the sea-coast,
Stand by power of mighty magic!
Should perforce thy will impel thee,
Flow thou on thine endless circuit,
Through the veins of [fallen wariors],
Through the bones, and through the muscles,
Through the lungs, and heart, and liver,
Of the mighty [swordsman hero];
Better be the food of heroes,
Than to waste thy strength and virtue
On the meadows and the woodlands,
And be lost in dust and ashes.
Flow forever in thy circle;
Thou must cease this crimson out-flow;
Cease thy flow, by word of magic
Thus to save the wounded hero.

I think Alric uses the Lord's Prayer in Old English, and I know there was someone else who uses an actual Christian prayer of healing from (I believe) the traditional Catholic healing service.  Make something like that up themed towards, well, whatever or whoever your character would pray to or invoke.

Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

Siguric

•  
  • Realm: Bloodpool
  • Unit: Hatred Inc.
  • Remember: It's rape and pillage, THEN burn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 29, 2011, 12:03:08 am »
That's a prayer for those who are already dead.  :P

I'm not dead! (/obligatory response)

Bastard of Ceremonies

We Hate So You Don't Have To
- Bloodpool@Dagorhir.com -

jevtron

• New User
  • Realm: Aratari
  • Unit: Wolfpack of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 29, 2011, 12:23:16 am »
Read the original Dagorhir Handbook. It had guidelines for what constituted a healing poem and a beautiful sample poem.

Heralds could reject them. Once, one of the realms that left in The Great Hissy-fit had their poems rejected at an event because they were supposed to be for each character but the realm printed out a cookie-cutter poem printed out and taped to the fighters'  shields.  I don't know if it was the cookie-cutter nature or the lack of memorization

If this happened at a Ragnarok I would probably make a brief stink about it myself. The rules don't mention the requirement of any character needing a unique poem. It actually makes sense for an entire unit to use the same healing poem considering they share a belief system. Every member of the wolfpack is going to pray to The Wolfen. There is also no requirement to memorize a poem. The rules simply requires it to be recited OR read aloud.

I'm not criticizing the local event runners you mentioned as misinterpreting or even making up healing rules, because individual realms have every right to do this at their local events.

Skeith, the Forsaken

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 29, 2011, 12:35:24 am »
@Oisín My above post was suppose to be puny, real life healing spell= miracle.  ;D

Honestly this is what I want to say to all you that posted giving your opinions on how a healing spell should be used any different than they currently are used.

I wouldn't feel qualified to be asked for archery advice. I'm not an archer nor do I plan to be one. I do know the archery rules in the MoA though.

Unless you use healing poems regularly or have them used against you regularly then why post against the rule or advocate some change? You may know the rules for healing poems in the MoA. It doesn't mean you are an authority of how healing poems are used in game.

Stop trying to change the way other realms play the game under the current rule set, it works fine.

Saying something simple, like my example of a healing poem earlier, can be tiring as hell when you've been running around fighting. Who cares if it is flowery because I can guarantee you that it's not gonna sound as pretty as it is on paper.

So naysayers, go run a mile then read me back your long epic sonnets as fast as you can. We'll see how much your poem makes a role play difference than mine. Because in the end you some jackhole wearing a tunic using a cloth covered foam fighting sword trying to huff out 180 syllables so I can "grow my arm back".

No one is going to allow "heal" 180 times as a healing poem. This issue is not that slippery of a slope. Of course unless a herald does allow that as a poem. At that point I wouldn't worry, more than likely your event coordinators already play amt gard.

Post edited to add per MoA on the national website,

6.10 - Healing
6.10.1 - The Healer cannot heal her/himself or their own equipment.
6.10.2 - To heal a person, the Healer must be in direct physical contact with the injured
person.
6.10.3 - A healer may not heal a person while either are under direct attack. If the Healer
or injured person is attacked or distracted, or contact is broken for any reason, the entire
Poem of Healing must be read or recited again.
6.10.4 - A Poem of Healing must then be recited or read aloud. The minimum length of a
poem of healing is 180 syllables and must be approved at event check-in.
6.10.5 - When the healer completes reading the Healing Poem, all wounds and any items
held by the wounded fighter are healed or repaired (i.e. armor, bow, shield, etc.).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 12:41:31 am by Skeith, the Forsaken »

stylgar

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 29, 2011, 12:52:55 am »
Jev,  at the time there was a rule that the heralds pointed to. The realm made a good faith attempt to sway the herald and backed right down. This wasover a decade ago.

Perfidy never prevails
Softer weapons: Harder hits

Alric

• Administrator
  •  
  • Realm: Angaron
  • Unit: Drentha
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 29, 2011, 01:11:39 am »
The Anglo Saxon Lacnunga ('Remedies') is a collection of healing spells. They were't necessarily instant cures, but they're real historical uses of short poems to bring about healing in those suffering various ailments.

Here's one that's been translated, 239 syllables: http://www2.hawaii.edu/~kjolly/lacnelf.htm

So there's the real-world historical precedence for healing poems. This isn't just something someone in some larp made up, it's a real part of the middle ages.

My library has the whole volume, I'm going to get it and see if there are poems that are even more applicable to Dagorhir.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 24 queries.