Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kicking the Haft  (Read 3701 times)

Kade

•  
  • Realm: Minas Morgul
  • Unit: Uruk-Hai
    • View Profile
Re: Kicking the Haft
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2011, 07:29:42 pm »
What about stepping on the haft of a spear thats been thrust through your lines to prevent the owner from pulling it back?

That legal?

I usually just drop my shield down on it and hold it down, but a few times, the other guy has been unlucky enough to drop his spear, go to pick it up, and ill step on it to keep him from getting it while our line advances.

Searchable on Book of Faces under the name "Kade's Work Bench"

gesangbaer

• New User
  • Realm: Aratari
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2011, 07:37:06 pm »
Kicking foam would be destructive and i could see it annoying more people than not, especially if you damaged their gear in the process.

Do you also oppose shield kicking? Cause it's the same thing. You are kicking foam. The shield might be more durable, but a kick will undoubtedly do more harm to the shield than a regular weapon strike.

What about stepping on the haft of a spear thats been thrust through your lines to prevent the owner from pulling it back?

I second this question. Having read up on group tactics, I would really like to use this, hehehe.

Squire Ducky McFeelgood

•  
  • Realm: Byzantium
  • Unit: Arangweth
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2011, 07:48:19 pm »
Kicking foam would be destructive and i could see it annoying more people than not, especially if you damaged their gear in the process.

Do you also oppose shield kicking? Cause it's the same thing. You are kicking foam. The shield might be more durable, but a kick will undoubtedly do more harm to the shield than a regular weapon strike.

Seeing as their is more foam to a shield, and that you usually kick the bottom part and hit with the top part, im not worried about it. Kicking the courtesy padding on a red thou, where there is less padding, less surface area to distributed it, and that courtesy is there to protect against accidental hitting, i could see more of a need to worry about it.

I second this question. Having read up on group tactics, I would really like to use this, hehehe.
[/quote]

Well, while i have done that and probably would do it again in the moment on accident, I'd like to think it more of a dick maneuver and that I would try to avoid it, just like i avoid stepping on arrows, swords, and shields.

Legally, it is not addressed

For safety, i could see it being bad for the weapon, and thus could cause it to "fail" in mid fight, and no one wants squished padding slapping them or a spear head falling off. Playability and realism it's perfectly fine, but it won't win you any friends.

Dr. Ducky McFeelgood; Squire to Sir Shatterhaze, Royal Quack of Mirkwood, Leader of House of Feelgood

Head Herald at Ragnarok XXVII, XXVIII

gesangbaer

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2011, 07:53:21 pm »
I'm a noob, so take this with a grain of salt ...

You seem awful concerned with equipment not getting damaged at all. I read somewhere on the forum this week "If your gear is too nice to be stepped on, then its too nice to play with."

Us noobs are sinking money into making our weapons with the understanding that they are gonna get torn up from play. I'm not gonna be watching out for anyone elses foam on the field. I'm gonna be trying to hit them while not letting them hit me.

If you wanna examine dick moves, lets talk about the several people I've seen openly say they love going to intentional nut shots. ... Seriously? That's not honorable in any way I can see. Does everyone just wear leather plating on their groins in case one of these psychos is coming to the field?

Judge Dredd

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2011, 08:32:11 pm »
Get a cup. your balls are a legal target area, protect them at all times, kind of a dick move, but still legal. 
While stepping on an outstretched spear is technically legal, it is still a dick move.
Lets just say this, anything you do that might ruin someone else's gear is kind of a dick move, doesn't make it illegal.
These are last resort moves, when nothing else will do, do not make them SOP, that's when you are being a dick.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:34:20 pm by Blackhawk the Apollyon »

gesangbaer

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2011, 08:44:10 pm »
Point taken. Now I just have to convince my unit to use cups, so I'm not fighting alone after the groin tornado, lol.

Kaonna McAvoy

•  
  • Realm: Rivendell
  • In training for Greatness
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2011, 08:55:07 pm »
Most effective way I've seen of getting your unit mates to nut up and cup up is hitting them in the junk. Then laugh at them while their rolling around on the ground.

Its mean, but better they get a relatively light hit from you and learn the lesson than a hard red swing later on. Doesn't always work, but at that point you have to accept that your fighting with people who dont have much regard for their own testicles.

As far as the actual kicking a haft thing, I don't have a problem with nudging it, but karate kicks and stuff that is putting your self and the other people in danger is bad.

Women may not always hit harder, but they will hit lower.

Get up, shut up, and get a cup.

Wholely Kyrax

•  
  • Realm: Mallenorod
  • Unit: Western Guard (The Guard, Aratari)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2011, 09:32:53 pm »
Get a cup. your balls are a legal target area, protect them at all times, kind of a dick move, but still legal. 
While stepping on an outstretched spear is technically legal, it is still a dick move.
Lets just say this, anything you do that might ruin someone else's gear is kind of a dick move, doesn't make it illegal.
These are last resort moves, when nothing else will do, do not make them SOP, that's when you are being a dick.

Quoted for Truth

Gesangbaer - one of the realities of this game is that we all spend a lot of time, money and effort building and repairing weapons.  So what Blackhawk says in that quote is very accurate.  Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean that you should. And even if you do it doesn't mean you should do it often.  There are also tons of examples where something that’d be perfectly safe in one place or set of circumstances wouldn’t be in another.   

One advantage that you have over many new folks is that you're located right next to one of the largest and well established chapters in the country.  Take advantage of that by attending some practices and battles and learning the game first-hand.  You'll be able to get a lot of simple answers to these kinds of questions by talking to people in person.  Answers that are harder to get in the limited ways that online forums allow you to communicate.  Then come back and ask all the questions you want.  Your questions will be more informed and you’ll find that you get treated much better. 

Mallenorod@dagorhir.com
Quote from: Paraphrased from Leonidas
Think about your honor as if it were the only currency you had available to you in Dagorhir.  Every time you do something on the field, you are either making a deposit into your account, or making a withdrawal from it.

Alric

• Administrator
  •  
  • Realm: Angaron
  • Unit: Drentha
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2011, 10:14:19 pm »
I think a distinction needs to be drawn between blocking with your leg and punting someone's weapon. I think that sticking your foot in the way of an incoming red shot (the OP's scenario) is, while unorthodox, not illegal. On the other hand, punting and opponent's spear seems to be at odds with the rule quoted above that says that shields are the only thing you're allowed to kick. The gray area is the stuff in the middle between sticking your leg in the way of something and punting that something.

stylgar

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2011, 11:40:15 pm »

That legal?

The rules of the game include wording about destroying the property of others.
Ergo, if you step on my spear shaft so as to incapacitate it, and by extension me, all well and good.  If you do so recklessly, and in so doing damage my spear (7+ years have shown it very robust and hard to damage), I WILL have a problem.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 11:53:26 pm by stylgar »

Perfidy never prevails
Softer weapons: Harder hits

Askarus Space Champion

•  
  • Unit: Sparta
  • RAGNAROK XXVIII SECURITY
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2011, 12:49:19 am »
You guys are in A rare form of angry tonight. Just don't do anything you don't want done back to you or your gear and you'll have a fantastic time. If you go nut hunting or destroy gear, expect it to be done back. It really is as simple as that guys.

Askarus
King of Sparta/Rockstar
Ragnarok XXVIII Head of Security

Jack Stewart III

•  
  • Realm: Anvard (Northern)
  • Unit: Green Hilted Swords
  • Lv.1 Battering-Ram, W/ +3 to Brian-Damage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2011, 01:23:05 am »
I'd interpret it (blocking W/ leg, or foot) to be legal. Stepping on a weapon, no. It poses a great risk of damaging it.
I'm of the opinion that any grey area in the rules is alright, so long as its done safely.

I'd also remind you that (blocking W leg' or foot) is risky, and leaves you at a much greater risk for injury!
-Obvious leg and groin injuries from weapon strikes.
-Obvious injuries from falling (head, ribs, back, etc...)
-Unforeseeable injuries from unintended contact with your environment, surroundings and other combatants.
(just to name a few that I can think of off the top of my head...)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:44:00 am by Jack Stewart III »

First Order of the Frostborne, Lieutenant du Roi of the Green Hilted Swords and Heir to the House of Stewart.

Royalty should lead by example in a time of plight, inspire confidence in a time of doubt, and give hope in a time of despair.

Judge Dredd

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2011, 01:30:43 am »
You guys are in A rare form of angry tonight. Just don't do anything you don't want done back to you or your gear and you'll have a fantastic time. If you go nut hunting or destroy gear, expect it to be done back. It really is as simple as that guys.
Nicely done jesus.

Jack Stewart III

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2011, 01:44:55 am »
Nicely done jesus.
Nah, I agree with the Spartan. If you go low-brow, expect to get what's coming next...

First Order of the Frostborne, Lieutenant du Roi of the Green Hilted Swords and Heir to the House of Stewart.

Royalty should lead by example in a time of plight, inspire confidence in a time of doubt, and give hope in a time of despair.

Fayne Erving

•  
  • Realm: Stonewater Marches
  • Unit: Ebon Light
  • From the Ashes...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2011, 02:09:01 am »
No BH was comparing Askarus's rule of thumb with the Golden Rule, most famously endorsed by Jesus.

As an an important aside, I'm glad this thread is named "Kicking the Haft" instead of "Kicking the Shaft" I would appraoch this thread entirely differently if it were so.

The measure of a man can be seen in the quality of his words.
             = Stonewater Marches=
The local dagorhir group for Columbia, Missouri.
Until my dagorhir email starts working again, send mail to gmail at stonewatermarches.mail

Sir Magnus of Narnia

•  
  • Realm: Tartarus Invictus
  • Unit: Narnia
  • For Narnia! For Aslan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2011, 02:13:29 am »
Its a derail a bit, but one trick I picked up from RAG last year was telling people I would take a death if they would just give up trying to destroy my spear. I got sick of people telling people to ease up on my weapons and getting called a dick.

Some people enjoyed the idea. No biggie for me. I just walked ten feet and rezed. They got me off the line for a a minute or so.

I did not have to pry figner nails or wipe off foot prints on my spear head each day.

It was a win, win.

Sir Magnus of Narnia

Nothing beats a friend like a rubber sword. First rule, don't talk about Rondel Club.

Jack Stewart III

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2011, 02:31:33 am »
No BH was comparing Askarus's rule of thumb with the Golden Rule, most famously endorsed by Jesus...
I do believe that BH was being sarcastic there. Was he not, BH?

Thaglton

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2011, 07:56:28 am »
ok.. so in regards to what I am reading here... let me explain, no is too much, let me sum up...

Haft kicking is legal but dick
Dick shots are legal but dick
Stepping on weapon is cool but could be dick
shoes sometimes required but for fighters protection, not because of dick
and Jesus is from Sparta.

Sweet. Thanks for the info guys!

Squire Ducky McFeelgood

•  
  • Realm: Byzantium
  • Unit: Arangweth
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2011, 08:37:12 am »
Welcome to rules Q&A/Discussion on the Dag Boards

Dr. Ducky McFeelgood; Squire to Sir Shatterhaze, Royal Quack of Mirkwood, Leader of House of Feelgood

Head Herald at Ragnarok XXVII, XXVIII

Milo Baines

•  
  • Unit: Guild Alchemica (Suicide Kings)
  • "By art, or by strength."
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2011, 08:43:01 am »
ok.. so in regards to what I am reading here... let me explain, no is too much, let me sum up...

Haft kicking is legal but dick
Dick shots are legal but dick
Stepping on weapon is cool but could be dick
shoes sometimes required but for fighters protection, not because of dick
and Jesus is from Sparta.

Sweet. Thanks for the info guys!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

i like this guy... ;D

See the difference? 

do you? not to bring the discussion back up, but did you even read my posts...?

"Just glue some gears on it and call it Steampunk."

F.G., Legio Promethean
Backwater Brawler-New Braunfels, TX

Judge Dredd

• Administrator
  •  
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2011, 09:06:09 am »
No BH was comparing Askarus's rule of thumb with the Golden Rule, most famously endorsed by Jesus...
I do believe that BH was being sarcastic there. Was he not, BH?
Nope, it was the golden rule thing.

Nicely done jesus.
Nah, I agree with the Spartan. If you go low-brow, expect to get what's coming next...
So in actuality, due to your disagreement with me here, we are actually in agreement regarding Askarus post.

It all very confusing.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:23:33 am by Blackhawk the Apollyon »

Wholely Kyrax

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2011, 12:56:58 pm »
See the difference? 

do you? not to bring the discussion back up, but did you even read my posts...?

Of course I read your posts, very carefully.  The difference is in emphasis, starting with clearly stating that you're talking about the way your local group would interpret or enforce "x" rule. Kind of like what I did over in the Armor-Not thread about Oisin's gauntlets:  On my field I'd allow them, but only after explaining to people that he's wearing them for safety not as armor.   

Mallenorod@dagorhir.com
Think about your honor as if it were the only currency you had available to you in Dagorhir.  Every time you do something on the field, you are either making a deposit into your account, or making a withdrawal from it.

Milo Baines

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2011, 01:03:11 pm »
semantics...but blarg anyhow

F.G., Legio Promethean

Fayne Erving

•  
  • From the Ashes...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2011, 02:46:33 pm »
Milo, you're a cool guy but I get the feeling that you're a glutton for punishment.

= Stonewater Marches=
Until my dagorhir email starts working again, send mail to gmail at stonewatermarches.mail

Milo Baines

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2011, 02:48:52 pm »
fayne, i really don't know what to say to that...if you think i'm kicking my feet in hissyfit mode for giggles, or to get attention or 'cause i think it's fun to argue on the boards then you're wrong...

F.G., Legio Promethean

Fayne Erving

•  
  • From the Ashes...
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2011, 03:04:14 pm »
Nah talking about when you asked Kyrax if he even read your posts. Not only is that a provocative question, but the discussion was long over and done with.

= Stonewater Marches=

stylgar

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2011, 04:19:57 pm »
I read "glutton for punishment" as "Gee,  most of us would have recognized this one as lost and just shut up and let it drop by now."
I'd refine my earlier take on it a bit.
"It depends on how the kicker executed it. Controlled kicks, not a problem. If it looked like a reckless or vicious kick, someone needs to talk with the kicker."
To revisit the Lyonesse position: It's not a problem til it's a problem. Then it's a problem.

Perfidy never prevails
Softer weapons: Harder hits

Milo Baines

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2011, 04:40:58 pm »
I read "glutton for punishment" as "Gee,  most of us would have recognized this one as lost and just shut up and let it drop by now."

coming from the man graymael had to actually tell to shut up regarding a position you were taking...

and to repeat myself...blarg

F.G., Legio Promethean

Wholely Kyrax

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2011, 05:42:14 pm »
and to repeat myself...blarg

Ok Milo - stick with the "blarg".  That I agree with.   :-X

Mallenorod@dagorhir.com

Squire Lizard

•  
  • Realm: Moria
  • Unit: Army of Mordor
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2011, 06:35:27 pm »
Just a side note here, there are quite a few fighters out here who have long reds with haft padding, and a few fighters who are VERY good at using their feet to block the incoming swipe with said red weapon. Just stick it out, and bottom of foot contacts haft and viola! I do it to just about EVERYONE who uses my glaive, and  I learned it from someone who did it to me all the time.
If your weapon is well made and SAFE enough to pass it shouldn't be damage by this kind of action... Just seems like people not liking a new tactic because it is unorthodox.

Heralds aren't there to interpret the rules, they're there to enforce them.
Gu kibum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha-gum-ishi ashi gurum.  "No life in coldness, in darkness. Here in void, only death."

Athron

•  
  • Realm: Eryndor & High Spires
  • Unit: Legacy of the Lifetree
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2011, 08:51:32 pm »
Are you telling me my weapons may be engaged in PHYSICAL CONTACT!?!?!

Milo -- that was kind of a nasty blow and taken pretty darn far out of context.  Not the style I'm used to you bringing. :-/  I think you're getting a pretty raw deal about how some people are taking your strong opinion as justification for ripping you personally, but, well, I think almost all of us expect that out of most of them already anyways.

Nothing can hide in the light.
-Athron@Dagorhir.com
www.eryndor.com

Milo Baines

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2011, 11:14:36 pm »
fair enough...

F.G., Legio Promethean

SwordBrother Rowan

•  
  • Realm: Northern Steppes
  • Unit: Legion of the Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2011, 06:49:43 pm »
I tried blocking a polearm this way. Catching the haft on the bottom of my foot "kicking it" I guess. As I threw my leg out there, I thought it'd be epic. I kicked to high and the polearm shot high squashing my bits-and-pieces.

I still think it'd be neat, and unless you are hong-kong-pheu-y kicking stuff, I'd be cool with it.

Rowan Ursis
Northern Steppes
Legion of the Dragoons
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 24 queries.