I realized that it wasn't just the outside seams that didn't make sense - the entire back seam doesn't make sense, either. Why slit the middle of the hood piece, save for about an inch of the fabric, and then sew up the back? Also, the whip-felled seams are low-profile enough, even in a rough wool, to not be irritating, mainly because the seams are not in any place that would come into contact with skin.
If it were thrown together just for burial and not for use, I don't think time would have been taken to whip-stitch the edges. It looks good without the edge stitching, and would not ravel unless it were seeing wear. Plus the stitching takes quite a while.
So, my theory is: Beginner.
I'll dress my next one up a bit. I do love the fit, though! I measured from the top of my breastbone to the top of my forehead for the hood slit length. Then measured out at an angle from the breastbone to determine how big I wanted the gore squares to be. Added the two measurements, forgot to add the inch for the unslitted fabric, and cut a square that big for the hood, and two squares in the determined gore dimension. I only used about a 1/8"-3/16" seam allowance - running stitch first, then whip stitching the seam allowances down.