Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gauge vs. inch (vs. mm)  (Read 1687 times)

Haardgrim

•  
    • View Profile
Gauge vs. inch (vs. mm)
« on: November 19, 2001, 09:59:00 pm »
I was looking over the metal armor rules (for my splint mail project), and was confused for a while by the intermixing of inches and gauge in the specifications.  It got even more interesting when I found some information on the gauge units, which is different for plate and wire.  I suggest the rules be worded using inches throughout, with gauge in parentheses when appropriate.

-Haardgrim Gaugebreaker

Alkazar

•  
    • View Profile
Gauge vs. inch (vs. mm)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2001, 10:30:00 pm »
Looking over it, the only place inches are mentioned is in the "maximum" size.  That will really only apply if you get silly.

The leather is measured in inches, which baffles me, since no one who works with leather works in inches, everything is done in ounces.  For your information, 4 oz = 1/16" of leather.

Email me at:    alkazar@dagorhir.com

Alkazar

•  
    • View Profile
Gauge vs. inch (vs. mm)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2001, 10:32:00 pm »
Oh, and I would actually suggest changing everything AWAY from inches, the reason being, metal is bought by gauge, not inches... just like I am suggesting leather should read 12 oz, not 3/16"

[ November 19, 2001: Message edited by: Alkazar ]

Haardgrim

•  
    • View Profile
Gauge vs. inch (vs. mm)
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2001, 03:32:00 am »
I was looking for metal for splint mail, and found it measured in inches (thinnest was 1/8 inch).  Gauge is a confusing unit (it being different for different kinds of items), I think using inches with gauge in parentheses will remove a lot of confusion.

Optimally, it should be in millimeters, of course, but some people around here don't seem to understand those:)

-Haardgrim Inchbreaker

Alkazar

•  
    • View Profile
Gauge vs. inch (vs. mm)
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2001, 04:34:00 pm »
That's really unusual... The wire and plate gauges differences are irrelevant because, though they are different sizes technically, the gauge rule applies...

I've never seen metal sold in inches or mm, that really surprises me... Perhaps someone has a conversion chart that could be put on the web somewhere?

Dominus

• Administrator
  •  
  • Realm: Aratari
  • Unit: Rome
  • Dominus
    • View Profile
Gauge vs. inch (vs. mm)
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2001, 04:36:00 pm »
It's actually really easy, Haardgrim.  16 gauge is 1/16 inch.  12 gauge is 1/12 inch, and 8 gauge is 1/8 inch.  Since metal is sold this way, isn't it best to stick with these standard units?

Dominus of Rome
dominus@dagorhir.com
--------------------
Yes, I'm Board Admin, or the "Web Herald!" Please read the the Board Rules

Kyrax Niu-Taer

•  
  • Realm: Mallenorod
  • Unit: Brotherhood of Mithris
    • View Profile
Gauge vs. inch (vs. mm)
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2001, 04:52:00 pm »
Well, our Danish friend may be thinking ahead to when he'll be trying to order sheet steel in far away lands.  I for one have no clue how they measure steel in the EU (and then we'll be asked for the mm measurements).

Mallenorod@dagorhir.com
Quote from: Paraphrased from Leonidas
Think about your honor as if it were the only currency you had available to you in Dagorhir.  Every time you do something on the field, you are either making a deposit into your account, or making a withdrawal from it.

Seiichirô

•  
  • Realm: Angaron
  • Unit: Akiyama
    • View Profile
Gauge vs. inch (vs. mm)
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2001, 05:10:00 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Dominus:
It's actually really easy, Haardgrim.  16 gauge is 1/16 inch.  12 gauge is 1/12 inch, and 8 gauge is 1/8 inch.   ...

I was wondering how guage and thickness were related.  All  I knew was that shopping for wire, I was looking for 16 guage or .062 - .064 " (~ 1.5 mm) thick line, depending on where I was looking and how they listed the wire.

-Akiyama Seiichirô Mitsusada

Sometimes the universe meets your intention
IncidentalPadding

Harek

•  
    • View Profile
Gauge vs. inch (vs. mm)
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2001, 10:24:00 pm »
I also got confused on the subject because at one point I found a perplexing "conversion chart" on a metal supplier's website. It had different thicknesses listed for the same "gauge," depending on what metal was being measured.  

Éoric of the Riddermark

"All civilisations owe their origins to the warrior..." -- John Keegan, A History of Warfare
Pages: [1]   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 23 queries.