Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weapons for Dag- Rule Changes?  (Read 1107 times)

Ire

•  
    • View Profile
Weapons for Dag- Rule Changes?
« on: April 17, 2002, 03:18:00 am »
HI out there!  

So I was talking to some people that seem to be a little better informed then me and it has come to my attention that the rules on weapons and armor may infact be changing.  

Is this true?  

For the last 6 or so yeares I have been following a set of guidelines that will now make all of my weapons and armor un-passable and useless at Ragnarock. I would have to sink a fortune in getting new weps in time for this years event.  

Can some one please e mail me and let me know what is going on?  Thanks much...

-This announcement has been approved by SOTH.

Kyrax Niu-Taer

•  
  • Realm: Mallenorod
  • Unit: Brotherhood of Mithris
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2002, 05:09:00 pm »
Dagorhir Manual of Arms

Ire'lem,

Above is a link to the Manual of Arms.  These are the rules we are using this Ragnarok.  The only thing missing from this is the infamous "Kyrax rule" to expand the allowed unpadded handle for polearms and other long weapons.  

As for future rules changes, I think that there is an honest intention to not mess with what has worked for almost twenty-five years.  After decades of playtesting, we've got a system of rules that generally work well.  Most issues that have been discussed in recent years are either due to differing interpretations of the rules as written, or on real or imagined safety concerns.  

So read through the Manual of Arms and see for yourself whether your weapons comply with Dagorhir's rules.  I think that you'll find that the rumors you heard are just that, rumors.  I'm glad that you came here to the source to seek actual information, instead of listening to misinformation.

Mallenorod@dagorhir.com
Quote from: Paraphrased from Leonidas
Think about your honor as if it were the only currency you had available to you in Dagorhir.  Every time you do something on the field, you are either making a deposit into your account, or making a withdrawal from it.

Tibby

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2002, 01:22:00 am »
I'm unclear about a few thing amt gard-wise still:

1. The Ever popular Golf club and Fun noodle design they use. Is it allowed. if we put a cloth around the noodle, will it be Dagorhir legal? It just seams with my chapter starting out, it would be easier to just have the leaders pitch in and build a boat load of cheap weapons like this to start out. (Note: I'm not asking if it will be durable, I know the answer to that, but the part that will no doubt go first, the foem noodle, is both cheap and easy to replace.)

2. Some of the guys in amt gard I see with modern sports padds. For example, I saw a guy with the Shin guards like a baseball cetcher uses, and padded gloves for no-holds-barred fighting, are things like this legal?

Thanks

P.S. Why does the site block Amt-gard?

[ May 05, 2002: Message edited by: Tibby ]

Happy Yaks!

Want to chat? Contact me some time:
AIM: CYSumo
Yahoo!M: Guitar_GT

Erekose of Gestiguiste

•  
  • Realm: Aratari
  • Unit: Gestiguiste
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2002, 05:31:00 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Tibby:
Q1. The Ever popular Golf club and Fun noodle design they use. Is it allowed.

A. Yes, as long as it is safe.  I agree that this is a quick way to make an lot of basic weapons.  I did it myself several years ago.  Using a similar, but more durable method, I made a small batch of maces last month, for extra blues at practice.

quote:

Q2. ...I saw a guy with the Shin guards like a baseball cetcher uses, and padded gloves for no-holds-barred fighting, are things like this legal?

This is all legal.  Keep in mind that if one is wearing rigid safety gear, they may not initiate a grapple.

quote:

Q3. P.S. Why does the site block Amt-gard?

This board is dedicated to Dagorhir and not all the games that have splintered off of Dagorhir.  By instituting simple rules like blocking certain words/names, we keep the focus of this board on Dagorhir.  Believe it or not, there are trolls and other meanies out there that would use our board against us.  (I won't mention that certain troll in Georgia, that caused us to make other changes.  Doh!  I guess I mentioned it.)

Tibby, thanks for asking your questions in such a friendly manner.  Have fun with Dagorhir!  

Erekose

[ May 06, 2002: Message edited by: Erekose of Gestiguiste ]

Erekose

raybordier

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2002, 05:58:00 pm »
KYRAX RULE?????

I was about to ask about this? What is this rule? The reason I ask is because I am looking to make a very large red sword and the 18" handle makes the weapon somewhat unweildy.

If someone could get back to me on this ASAP i would appreciate it.

Sir Spectre
Leader and Founder of Mordarth
Co-Leader of Taurendor

"The Power of Purple Compels You!"

Guntar von Keitz

•  
  • Realm: Aratari
  • Unit: Vardrotta
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2002, 06:16:00 pm »
Ray, in a nutshell, the "Kyrax rule" (someday it may just go by a string of numbers but until then, "Kyrax rule" sounds much more exciting) is that a red or blue weapon may have a total of unpadded handle/hilt that is UP TO (or less!) 18" or 1/3rd the total length of the weapon.  Thus, a few examples, a 3' total length blue sword could have a blade of 18" and a handle of 18" though this is sort of silly (avoid the "blade shape" and call it a red club that can be used one-handed--but I digress).  A greatsword with total length of 5' may have up to 20" of unpadded handle.  A large 8' (84") may have up to 28" of unpadded handle.  Etc.

Someday, there may be a rule that states no blue weapon or red weapon may have an unpadded handle that is more than 1/2 of its total length.  Thus, a superlight blue club that is 30" long with an 18" handle and a 12" striking area would be illegal.  Hmmnn...

GvK
(aka G√ľntar of the Vardrotta)

Kyrax Niu-Taer

•  
  • Realm: Mallenorod
  • Unit: Brotherhood of Mithris
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2002, 06:54:00 pm »
Here is my take on it:

By the powers vested in me by Morgan Graymael on behalf of the Aratari School of Dagorhir Law, here is my ruling: the unpadded handle of a swung weapon may not exceed eighteen inches or one-third of the overall length of the weapon, whichever is greater.

In all seriousness, that is the rule as written, though I'd prefer to see a maximum limit. On big weapons I have found that I don't use that much of the hand-grip area, so more than three feet is silly.

Mallenorod@dagorhir.com
Quote from: Paraphrased from Leonidas
Think about your honor as if it were the only currency you had available to you in Dagorhir.  Every time you do something on the field, you are either making a deposit into your account, or making a withdrawal from it.

raybordier

•  
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2002, 07:33:00 pm »
I would like to see a better rule on this as well, but up to 1/3 is understandable for certain weapons, not all though.

However, for a sword with a 5' blade length it would be nice to be able to have a 20-22" handle. Especially if you are a smaller player.

Sir Spectre
Leader and Founder of Mordarth
Co-Leader of Taurendor

"The Power of Purple Compels You!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 23 queries.